InEar Monitoring PLUS Speaker

• Hey guys,

up to this point, I have been getting my in ear mixes through the FOH mixing console (I am sending the main outputs into the mixing console). I am now thinking of receving the FOH signals MINUS the guitar into one channel of my in ear system and to send the guitar signal directly from the Kemper into the other channel of the in ear system (it works as a two channel monomix system). This would allow me to adjust the guitar level in my in ear mix all by myself.

Now my questions:

1. Using the direct out of the KPA to feed the in ear system:
    a. Is it ok to connect the unbalanced direct out of the KPA to the balanced in on the in ear system?
    b. I see a disadvantage in the lack of a separate EQ for the direct out, so there is no chance of eq-ing my in ear sound. Any ideas on this?

2. Using the monitor out of the KPA to feed the in ear system:
    I own the Power Head KPA and I would also like to use a speaker cabinet from time to time. To my understanding, however, driving my in ear through the monitor out of the KPA would require the "Monitor Cab" funtion to be ON, but driving the speaker through the speaker output would require it to be off. This seems irreconcilable to me as the monitor out and the speaker out practically deliver the same sound setttings, correct?

So my dilemma: Direct Out would work, but I would not have the internal EQ; Monitior Out works as long as I don't run an extra guitar cab in the speaker output, but both are impossible.

Any workarounds for this?

Best, and thanks to all for your replies and hints!!

Tom

• Coming from a soundtechs perspective: If I was your tech, and you would be using IEM + a cab onstage, i would probably be nagging during the whole setup and teardown about you leaving your cab home :D

Reason for that is that any on-stage-soundsource blurs the FOH mix. So if you are not listening to the cab (using IEM instead), then the cab has to go. Offcourse, during another, smaller show you could wire it all diferently and use the cab, in the absence of a FOH tech, and have the whole band playing in perfect balance on the backline... Or are you switching IEM/cab within one show?

On top of that, one thing to consider with a FOH mix is that it is very venue-dependant. That mix is there to amplify wat is to be amplified, and if your bass player puts his amp to 11, and your drummer goes all gonzo, I won't have any of those 2 in my FOH mix: they are loud enough as they are... In a bar for sure. In a large venue, offcourse that will matter a little less and your mental drummer will be going through FOH nonetheless. And yes, I'm exgagerating the 11 and gonzo part, I mean, in small venues I wont be amping soundsources which are allready loud enough on the backline. Your FOH can offcourse deliver you a seperate FOH mix, which is constant, but thats called a monitor mix ;) .

But hey, you can still leave the guitar out of that monitor mix: I knew a keyboard player who looped his keyboards through the DI's (leading to FOH) to his own personal mixer, were he mixed his keys together with a monitor mix without keys (coming from FOH), so he had exactly what you're after, but in stereo...

• You can always feed the band monitor mix minus your guitar to the aux input in the back and connect your in ears to the headphone out. Make sure to set the aux in so it doesn't go out your main/foh output. That gives you a nice direct stereo guitar sound straight from the kpa, and you can independently control the guitar volume and the band mix.

This setup keeps your main and monitor outs available to do whatever you want.

Sean

• Coming from a soundtechs perspective: If I was your tech, and you would be using IEM + a cab onstage, i would probably be nagging during the whole setup and teardown about you leaving your cab home

A "silent" stage doesn't work for everyone. Can't play techniques that involve controlled feedback without a speaker, although it can be done with much less impact on FOH-sound if the guitarist use a wedge in front instead of the traditional cab in the back.

• 2. Using the monitor out of the KPA to feed the in ear system:
    I own the Power Head KPA and I would also like to use a speaker cabinet from time to time. To my understanding, however, driving my in ear through the monitor out of the KPA would require the "Monitor Cab" funtion to be ON, but driving the speaker through the speaker output would require it to be off. This seems irreconcilable to me as the monitor out and the speaker out practically deliver the same sound setttings, correct?

You're right that's a lack (however a "luxary problem"). I posted a thread in the "feature request". Maybe you can support it :rolleyes:

• You're right that's a lack (however a "luxary problem"). I posted a thread in the "feature request". Maybe you can support it :rolleyes:

I suspect that would be impossible, because, well, only one DA converter is driving the monitor out. But you could set the direct out to output "Master mono" too. That way you direct out will give you a IEM signal, and the monitor out (on your powered Kemper?) can drive a cab, with "Monitor cab off" checked.

Never mind, you already suggested that in your OP ;)

• You can always feed the band monitor mix minus your guitar to the aux input in the back and connect your in ears to the headphone out. Make sure to set the aux in so it doesn't go out your main/foh output. That gives you a nice direct stereo guitar sound straight from the kpa, and you can independently control the guitar volume and the band mix.

This setup keeps your main and monitor outs available to do whatever you want.

Sean

I like that idea! Effectively using the Kemper as your own mixer.

• Hey folks,

thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions! Will check out the Direct Out option and go without the option of eq-ing the in ear signal.

Best to all!!!

Tom

• Interessting thread. I don't have a Kemper yet but considering quite the same setup.I use IEM and play a lot of small bars so backline will provide all the sound and because of that I'm doubting between a DXR 10 FRFR or Power amp (powered Kemper) and guitarcab.

My current experience with a Pod HD 500 is that my in ear sound needs quite a lot EQ'ing. Because the Pod doesn't have master eq's per output I use a mixer. It would by great to put the monitor mix from the mixing desk into a kemper and ajust de volume and eq of my guitar separetly.
    Can the EQ of the Kemper be ajusted on the headphone out?

BTW; is it possible to use the XLR and jack outputs on the master output section at the same time? For example to go stereo to FOH with XLR and go sterio to my own mixer for IEM?

EBMM Luke Black Sparkle | EBMM Luke Luke Blue | Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 | Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster

• BTW; is it possible to use the XLR and jack outputs on the master output section at the same time? For example to go stereo to FOH with XLR and go sterio to my own mixer for IEM?

Don't know for sure, but you can always make a Y split. Just be sure to keep things balanced, ans that your IEM input can handle phantom at its input. Or always use a DI going to FOH. Why bother with Phantom power: a simple mistake of the FOH engineer can put 48V on your kempers output. It should be able to handle it, but nog when you compromised the balancing in your cabling....

• You can use the XLR and Jack outputs at the same time. I always find the in ear sound is too bright on my guitar though and prefer to eq. That is party my SE215 headphones that seem to have a top end lift and should find something better.

I get a mix of the band and feed that to a small mixer that blends with the guitar sound. This way you have control over you own playing volume.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Don't know for sure, but you can always make a Y split. Just be sure to keep things balanced, ans that your IEM input can handle phantom at its input. Or always use a DI going to FOH. Why bother with Phantom power: a simple mistake of the FOH engineer can put 48V on your kempers output. It should be able to handle it, but nog when you compromised the balancing in your cabling....

Thx for mentioning. Never would have thought of it when splitting the signal!

You can use the XLR and Jack outputs at the same time. I always find the in ear sound is too bright on my guitar though and prefer to eq. That is party my SE215 headphones that seem to have a top end lift and should find something better.

I get a mix of the band and feed that to a small mixer that blends with the guitar sound. This way you have control over you own playing volume.

That's the way I do things right know. Works fine but wouldn't miss bothering with the mixer when not neccesery ;)

EBMM Luke Black Sparkle | EBMM Luke Luke Blue | Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008 | Fender Eric Johnson Stratocaster