Slow Gear Stomp

• Good news, we already have it! I had posted this on another thread a few months back when I discovered:

We actually have autoswell! And it can be used in any of the slots! I discovered this tip Ingolf had posted a while back and initially I thought it didn't work, because I incorrectly had the mix set at 100/100 and didn't keep turning past that until it was set to 100% wet. It seems to function identically to my line6 m5 autoswell. The key is, to put this in the mod slot, x slot, or even one of the stomp slots, as the delays starting being able to be placed in any slot with the update before 5.0 I think. That leaves the dedicated delay slot free for one of the new ambient delays. With these settings, the auto swell effect doesn't produce any discernible delay, so just set a delay and/or reverb combo in the delay and reverb slots.

From Ingolf's post in another thread:
    @Robrecht made a great swell preset which I modified slightly.
    Choose the DUAL DELAY, mix 100%, Delay 1 time 0 ms, Delay 2 time 0 ms, Delay Balance -50%, feedback 1 0%, Feedback sync = checked, Low Cut = 20.6 Hz, High Cut = 33488.1 Hz, Reverse Mix = 0%, Stereo = 0%, Chorus 0.0, Cross Feedback 0.0, Modulation 0.0, Flutter 0.0, Flutter Rate 0.0, Grit 0.0, Swell 60%, Smear 0%, Ducking 0.0

• It is my beginner's impression that the workaround does it job nicely for cleans and light overdrives, but not so much for moderate to high distortions ... I think I would still appreciate a full, proper stomp-box implementation in the style of the original Boss Slow Gear.

• It is my beginner's impression that the workaround does it job nicely for cleans and light overdrives, but not so much for moderate to high distortions ... I think I would still appreciate a full, proper stomp-box implementation in the style of the original Boss Slow Gear.

Put the "autoswell" delay that Groouit is talking about as the first stomp in your signal chain, before your drives and amp. Wouldn't that get you what you want?

• Yes, I tried the delay trick and am using it live. However, it is barely noticeable compared to a slow gear type effect.

Double check your settings. Make sure the mix knob is turned up all the way. Some of the delay mix numbers are weird. You get this percentage slash percentage thing where 100% isn't actually all the way up or whatever. If you're barely noticing the effect, it's likely that the mix isn't all the way up. I had a line 6 m5 and a mooer clone of the boss slow gear, and can get a perfect autoswell on the Kemper that rivals what I could do with those. Now, of course, autoswells in general have certain limitations as you have to stop the sound of the strings briefly to get the gate to close in order to have it swell open again vs. unlimited control using a volume pedal to achieve the effect. The autoswell on the KPA is no exception. But if you can't get a noticeable swell that is at least in the ballpark of what you can get on a boss slow gear (assuming you have one to A/B with that does what you'd like an autoswell to do) my money's on one of the settings being off, the mix setting being the main candidate.

• On further investigation it does work quite well as when I first tried it I put it in the first Stomp slot. It was rather abrupt and not swelling. I then put it in the Delay slot and noticed it achieving the 'swell' which could be determined by the delay time :)

Much better after the amp ......:thumbup:

Even at a 1ms delay time it was useable and increasing this to 2000ms was ...... slow !

To get the delay readout in milliseconds uncheck 'to tempo'

Agree. It doesn't happen too much and enough with more high gain.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• If I were Kemper, I would release a dedicated auto swell effect for no other reason than they've effectively already done the hard work of creating the delay that's capable of doing auto swell. Just limit the parameters and setting ranges to what keeps it sounding like a swell effect and name it "AUTOSWELL" Done, you just developed a "new" effect type with very little time and effort.. From a marketing standpoint, the majority of KPA users and virtually all potential customers who haven't scoured user forums don't realize the KPA can do an auto swell effect, because it isn't listed as an effect type.

For those having trouble with it working with higher gain, did you try putting it in the x slot after the amp block? Works fine for me there. At least with as high of a gain sound that I'd ever want to pair with the gentleness auto swell is suited for anyway.

• Hi folks,

does your "Autoswell" compare to what EVH does when he plays "Cathedral" or am I wrong?

PS:

EVH plays hammer ons while vol is turned down. After hitting the string, he turns the vol up and blends in the tone.

• Works perfectly with the swell delay workaround when you understand it has to come after the amp block. Put it before a distorted amp and you won't even notice an effect.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7