Convolution Reverb

• Would be real nice, especially if we could use the KPA to generate the IR for it too. Then you'd be able to profile not just the amp but also the room! You could even have a dial to add/remove more or less room from the profile once you'd grabbed it, a bit like is done when recording audio on set.

• Not sure, but will a convolution reverb not need some RAM and possibly processing cycles that will introduce latency. Do you really need convolution inside the unit. Almost every DAW has a convolution reverb.

• No, you don't need it, but it sure would be nice to have. I've no idea how heave the DSP usage would be to do it and how much latency it would add, with the chip in the KPA and a nice algorithm it may be negligible, or it might be untenable, but there's no reason not to ask for it. The main idea though isn't so much to have convolution reverb itself as to be able to profile the room! And then the cool things you could do with that either during profiling of the amp or after as an effect.

• Well that's fine, it's your opinion but mine is that there's actually a huge potential use for this in both live and recording. For me the Kemper's reverb is nice and lush and initially impressive, but it's a one trick pony. I'd like to have a little more variety of options and convolution reverb can give you pretty much the entire palette in one go. If you don't like the sound, just load in another IR (or make your own by profiling your own rooms), there's a lot out there already. The other thing is that many people are talking about wanting more "air" and I'm pretty sure that means more "room".

Then there's the practical applications if you could use the captured IR as a frequency subtractive EQ effect too, for instance what if you're profiling in a less than perfect space and want to dial the sound of that room out a little? Even just capturing the room static IR for it's frequencies could help there. Or if you want to compensate for the acoustics of a venue you're in, same thing, just profile the venue from a little way in front of the stage and reduce the most offensive frequencies/push the others to compensate and get a more flat response. Then again what if the room sound is awesome and you want more of that, being able to control "room" as another parameter is only a good thing as far as I can see.

• +10 from me. Brilliant idea, but I suspect there will not be enough processing power in the unit to do that.

• -1 on this one, no use for live nor for recording. IMHO

Want to clarify my opinion above. For live use a skilled sound guy does it with his laptop for the all mix (room analisys and compensation) a non skilled one is going to screw whatever you do anyway. For recording you can already use any possible plug with very little limitation in IR lenghts or processing power (it all happens offline). In both case I don't see any particular advantage in having convolution capacity inside of the KPA, wrong tool for the job, IMHO. Convolution itself is obviously a fantastic tool

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I hear what you're saying, but my reasoning for having it in the box is twofold, firstly that the Kemper is already set up for capturing impulse responses itself so it seems a match made in heaven, and secondly a computer may not always be on hand or the right choice (not to mention computers add further latency especially when handling convolution reverb, while a DSP should pretty much yomp that stuff right up).

If I were still gigging I'd definitely not take a laptop with me, and in a studio I know I'd appreciate having outboard convolution reverb too in the same way that I appreciate having an outboard amp sim. But that could just be me, it just seems like a great opportunity to cement the KPA as an all round studio profiling toolkit/device.