Nick K Profiles

• This may not be the right place to bring this up but here goes. I've been avoiding this because I don't want it to be taken the wrong way. I'm having an issue with the Nick K profile pack. It sounds very harsh with way too much treble...unusable. The thing is, I doubt it's the profile pack itself. I listened to the demos, they sound great, and they sound NOTHING like what the profiles sound like on my setup. I only use my Kemper for recording...so, it's guitar -> Kemper -> DAW.

Now, here's the really strange part, at least to me. It seems that profile packs are hit or miss for me. I'll get a profile pack from one company and the profiles will sound like the demos and all of the profile packs from that company are good. But then I'll get a profile pack from another company and the profiles sound nothing like the demos and are for the most part unusable.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

• Nick's LIII is dark; they all are, and it's largely due to the woods used.

When setting up the amp to Profile, he likely had to use brighter EQ-stack settings than you would with yours. This means that when you play your guitar through the Profiles, they seem overly-bright.

I'm only guessing of course 'cause you didn't mention which model guitar you're using, but if it falls either side of "neutral" in terms of brightness, the further-off-centre it is, the more it'll not gel with half the Profiles out there... without EQ adjustment on the guitar and / or Profiles.

• Yeah, I didn't mention my guitar(s). But the profiles are SO bright and harsh I doubt it's the guitars making it sound so bad. I tried the profiles with several guitars. Here's a partial list of my guitars off the top of my head:

LP Standard with original pups
    LP 2017 Classic HP original pups
    American Strat with Hot Rails in the bridge
    PRS S2 semi-hollow original pups
    Ibanez JS1000 stock pups

• Hey man, first of all its ok to say what you mean of course, its your right so its ok! :)

Did you try the "raw" part of the pack or "plug and play"?

L3 is not dark at all, i've tested all the profiles with several guitars, 2 PRSs, L3, Music man JP6 and Fender CS strat. And none of the guitars sounded even near to bright and harsh... I hate bright and harsh guitar sounds...

So be sure you choose "plug and play" folder from the pack, be sure your Kemper Output eq is set flat...

Hope to hear from You!

• I just tried the plug-n-play. The plug-n-play concept is what drew me to these profiles...especially the fantastic sounding demos. I just feel like I'm doing something wrong but can't put my finger on it.

• I'll check on the Kemper output eq but I doubt it is not the default. Below is a list of my gear. Speaker monitors near the bottom of the list
    . SONAR Platinum: 2017.06
    System specs:Purrrfect Audio:
    http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/
    [*] Case Silent Mid Tower
    • Power-Supply 600w quiet
    • Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    • RAM 32GB DDR3/1600
    • OS drive 1TB HD
    • Audio drive 2TB HD
    • Samples drive 1 3TB HD
    • Burner 24x DVD/RW
    • Video HD4600
    • Add TI chipset Firewire For all others
    • Operating System Windows 10 x64
    . MOTU 828 mkII
    . Lucid 9624 A/D
    . Millennia HV-3b pre. Focal CMS 65 monitors. Focal CMS sub
    . Dual 24" Widescreen video monitors

• Are you connecting your Kemper directly to your Motu or into Millenia pre? The preamp maybe adding some coloration to the sound.

Do you have some software eq or fx on the Motu mixer for the chanel your plugging your guitar into?

Do you have direct monitoring from Motu or you are using some kind of monitoring from Sonar?

I know its a lot of questions, but i really want to help you be satisfied with my profiles! :thumbup:

• Connected to MOTU
    No eq or fx on the MOTU channel
    Monitoring is via SONAR into self powered Focal monitors
    I'll work on the DI track

Please understand, I do NOT believe this issue is caused by your profiles and I don't want you to feel like you have to resolve the issue. Also, the confusing part for me is that I use the EXACT same signal chain for profiles that I have purchased from other companies and the profiles sound great. BUT, I also have profiles from yet again other companies that sound terrible.

So, company A profiles all sound great
    Company B profiles all sound terrible
    Company C profiles all sound great
    so on and so on. All using the same signal chain. It's really hit or miss for me and it is company specific.

• Its cool, im just trying to help you, i like my customers to be happy! :thumbup:

If you can record a DI track, that would be awesome! We could hear if there is something wrong.

I'll do a video soon about editing the profiles with different guitars on the totally opposite side of the tonal spectrum. I'll just have to find the cheapest, brightest guitar and borrow it from some of my friends... :)