Used Kemper, should I back it up and wipe it or keep as is?

• Hi Gang,

New member here and new Kemper convert. Looking forward to being a member of this community.

I recently bought a used Kemper from a decent guy. He has quite a few profiles loaded, including some Top Jimi stuff he purchased.

I haven't had a chance yet to play for more than a few minutes, so I've just poked around some of the rigs to check things out. I'm wondering, would I benefit from using the amp in its current state (the way the previous user has set things up and loaded it up) or should I back everything up on the amp, then reset it so it acts like a brand new machine?

(hope this question makes sense)

• I think in each state you will have a benefit. :)
    The most benefit you will have with the last version

If you make an update you will not loose data or profiles and you will have more opportunities and functions.
    But it would help if you are familiar with the documentation ;)

IMHO it makes ne sense to go back at factory state.

:!: One precondition : The version should be higher or equal than 3.3 otherwise you can not update direct. (version no. see system menu last page)

• Personally I'd back up first.
    Then use rig manager and drag all the rigs from your Kemper to a rig manager folder and reset, you can always restore.

You'll probably spend a long time trying a variety of rigs before settling on a few favourites, If you gig you might create performances per song or if you prefer simple just choose a clean, crunch and high gain rig. There are many ways to do things,

One thing is for certain, you'll find lots of help from many experienced and talented people on this forum.

Enjoy!

Good luck

P.

Edited once, last by P3t3rB ().

• Just to prove Peter wrong about his "experienced and talented" comment, I'll chime in:

Back it up to a USB stick using the Backup / Restore function in the unit; this way you'll retain any additional cabs and FX presets the previous owner might've loaded up, something a Rig-manager drag-and-drop backup won't do.

Next, do the Rig-manager backup manually (drag everything in the "My Profiler" folder to a newly-created one) and back up Rig Manager both via it's Backup / Restore feature and, especially in the cases of any important Rigs, also by dragging said Rigs to appropriately-named folders on your 'puter, and zip them up.

Obviously there's no hard-and-fast rule about these things, but that's what I'd do just to be sure I don't lose anything that came with the Kemper.

• If you're able to ask the previous owner what changes he / she made to the default setup, and why, you'll be in a better position to make a judgement as to how to proceed.

Either way, you'll have that sucker backed up in triplicate (3 methods) if you follow my suggestions, so you'll be able to mess around with no pressure.