Mic'd acoustic using the reamp return

• Sorry if this has already been covered but I have 7 kids and I am surprised I even get to play guitar at all let alone post. I play worship music at my church and recently got access to 1 xlr input to the house PA, a very sweet line array system. This caused a problem in that I need to switch between my acoustic and electric frequently during the mass. This was my solution and why I am posting. I had an old 2 channel pre that I placed two shure sm-81's in and ran the two outputs to the trs input of the kempers reamp input. I originally did this with one with the xlr but couldn't resist mic'n the lower bout as well as the sweet spot on the neck. Any how, I use the input to switch between the front and reamp input and accordingly have my rig set up. For the acoustic I currently have the entire stack disabled and only use effects. The problem is that I have to keep the electric profiles ridiculously low and the acoustic settings ridiculously high in order to balance the sound levels. It seems if I use the stack I run into feedback issues and I get why. One note of interest, the acoustic sounds insane running through the kemper and being short on instrumentalists having some of the newer delay/pitch algorithms almost adds a synth player to the soundscape.
    I would greatly appreciate any input or direction to another thread that would inform me on how to increase the overall volume of the acoustic sound so I can balance this out without using the volume control in the live setting. The PA is freakin massive and there is no FOH man on the board and I am buried way in the back so when I use the volume on the controller it is a bit of hit or miss.

Thank you

• I sometime use acoustic guitar and e-guitar in a gig .
    For both I use the Kemper whith different Rigs and only one guitar cable. This cable have a so called "silent jack. "
    That means , if the cable is pluged out, the input of the Kemper short cutted and no noise accure.
    Changing the guitar means : plug in the cable in the guitar you want to play and choose thecorrect Profile.

Sometime I play wireless (Line 6 G30). I use a sender at each guitar (same channel) and one receiver at Kemper. The sender of the guitar I play is on . (If both are on, then I hear nothing ;) )

e.g.
    https://www.amazon.com/Livewir…ar+cable+with+silent+jack

BTW: The different need of volume you can set in the Rig for each guitar.

Edited once, last by Sharry ().

• By your reply I am guessing your using a pickup system of some variety on your acoustic. I am using two condenser mics for my acoustic and no traditional pickup. I have a good working signal but in the rigs I have the acoustics settings maxed and the electrics at the minimum. While they are close I am just a few decibels away from a unity level without intervening with the volume pedal which I tend to more damage with than good.

• Make sure you're using the 2-channel pre's line out/s, or if the output/s is / are switchable, switch it / them to "Line".

There's no way to adjust the Reamp-input's sensitivity on the Kemper. You can manipulate the "Reamp Sens" parameter to tailor / match a distortion amount to what you would've otherwise heard if you'd recorded the amp block's output, as opposed to the DI signal prior to reamping, but that's about it.

IOW, it's all about getting a line-level signal to the Kemper in your case, I feel. There can be no other explanation for the huge difference in volume, IMHO, than the possibility that your source isn't feeding the Kemper what it expects to hear at that input (line level, such as you'd expect from an audio interface if reamping from a DAW).

Hopefully this is all that needs to be done, and the preamp provides an option to send line-level signal, which is something I'd expect every preamp to be able to do 'cause after all its purpose is to raise mic-level signals to line level.

God bless, mate, and good luck!

• I think you have illuminated what might be the issue. While I have more than enough signal coming from the pre I think I did not fully understand the input sensitivity for the reamp and have it at -12 since I was clipping the input. I have the Mics and pre set up at church to minimize setup time so I will attempt a higher sensitivity and address the clipping from the pre. It isn't a world of difference but having things at unity volume wise helps immensely since the mass moves with or without me being ready.
    I'll update when I get to fix it.
    Thanks.

• I am happy to report that I now have unity in volume between my mic'd acoustic and my electric.
    As it turns out I was addressing the input sensitivity on the reamp input wrong. After settling it in at -2db I adjusted the mics both closer to the neck and lower bout and lowered the pre a touch. Poof no input clipping and more volume by far overall.
    Thanks for the thought Monkey man.

• Can someone please explain what the OP is doing here? I use a "stereo" guitar that has electric pickups and a piezo, i use TRS cable to send the electric to the Kemper (tip) and I send the acoustic to my acoustic rig (ring). How exactly is the OP using the reamp input? And what exactly is a reamp input? Can I plug my electric into the front on my Kemper and my acoustic into the back of the Kemper somehow and switch between the different inputs?

• I actually spent a few minutes with my Kemper and figured out the reamp input. Seems like for what I want to do I can't use the alternate input because I want the front input and a back one used at the same time. Turns out the alternate input does not work if something is plugged into the front, bummer... wonder why this is the case. BUT... the reamp input does work! I can switch the the reamp input and plug my acoustic into it and play acoustic. The only problem is that when I switch to an electric guitar rig in the same performance the input stays on reamp and does default back to the front input which is where I have my electric pickups plugged into. I don't have the input block locked. So... selecting my acoustic performance slot and changing the input setting for that slot to reamp input and saving the performance and then switching over the my electric rig/ slot the input is now set to reamp. I switch it over to front input and save again. Now if I switch over to my acoustic rig, it's now set for front input! What's the deal? My input settings are not locked, why are they acting like global settings? Why can't I save settings per slot as I see fit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've been hoping Kemper would allow a way for me to play my dual pickup guitar TRS guitar for years, now there is a slight glimmer of hope this may be possible but I'm running into this snag. Help! (P.s. This is a very easy thing to do on Line 6 products since they allow for an aux input as well, and they let you choose what you want to do with it) so far it seems like I can't control my own input destiny!! Please say it isn't so!

• Can I plug my electric into the front on my Kemper and my acoustic into the back of the Kemper somehow and switch between the different inputs?

No you can't .
    A TRS Cable link the signal of both channel to one channel via hardware. No possibility to edit level of the different signals.
    It could work, when the both signals have similar strengh, but not with a PU and a Mic.