Cables for higher current patching?

• What type of cable is needed to carry the higher current signals like between the amp>DI>speaker and the speaker out from the powered KPA?

• I assume a guitar cable is the wrong option, but do these need to be shielded?
    • Is there a significant advantage to using really thick wire as the volume goes up?

I have an old part roll of monster speaker cable, but before I go to town soldering up phone plugs I want to be sure.

Thanks! :D

• All I know is I cooked (smoke and flames) a guitar lead back in the day when using it to hook my Peavey MkIV head to my 1810 bin (1x18" and 2x10" speakers) that I was bass-gigging with at the time. Learned the hard way, you might say.

I haven't made them up myself, only bought them, but my guess is that shielding is the least of your worries when it comes to "conventional" leads; it's gotta be about the current-carrying ability of the wire. How-much thicker it needs to be than "normal" lead wire, I don't know, but logically you'd be able to buy it (the wire itself) according to rating, matching (IOW, making sure it exceeds) the max current your amp's capable of generating.

• What type of cable is needed to carry the higher current signals like between the amp>DI>speaker and the speaker out from the powered KPA?

• I assume a guitar cable is the wrong option, but do these need to be shielded?
    • Is there a significant advantage to using really thick wire as the volume goes up?

I have an old part roll of monster speaker cable, but before I go to town soldering up phone plugs I want to be sure.

Thanks! :D

Hello finally,

You must use a dedicated Speaker Cable for handling the high voltage, high power signals from an amplifier output (i.e. speaker level). Shielding is not required due to the signal strength. The reason guitar / instrument cables are shielded is due to the low signal strength being carried through the cable, which can easily be affected by E-M interference. This is not the case with a post-amplified, speaker level signal.

Cheers,
    John

• Would Finally be able to use his Monster speaker cable to make the lead, John?

I don't know what gauge it is or if they're (Monster) all the same, but I used it back in the '90s from an Alesis RA-100 amp to speakers, and it was way-thicker than the various bought amp->speaker leads I used for bass rigs.

• Would Finally be able to use his Monster speaker cable to make the lead, John?

I don't know what gauge it is or if they're (Monster) all the same, but I used Monster back in the '90s from an Alesis RA-100 amp to speakers, and it was way-thicker than the various bought amp->speaker leads I used for bass rigs.

Absolutely. I would recommend 16 AWG as a minimum, but he might want to consider 14 AWG if using with a powered KPA connected to an 8 Ohm monitor.

Cheers,
    John

• Dear god, whatever you do, don't use Monster.

12 gauge speaker cable, all that you'll ever need:
    http://hosatech.com/product/skj-200/

You can get away with 14 gauge at times but anything less and you're basically using lampwire, as Scott Grove says.

• Thanks a lot folks! I'll grab the speaker wire from storage and make up some leads. The stuff I have is really thick by my limited standards - the actual core is about 2.5mm in diameter. We used to use it power our 1000 watt PA speakers with no problems.

I assume that the solder connections need to be really good to prevent heat as well. I might get my brother to do them actually, since he's good like that. :)

Grant