What SPDIF cable do I need for my set up?

• Hey guys and gals, new user to the forum and Kemper world.

I have a question about SPDIF connection.

I want to set up my Kemper for reamping in the studio but I seem to be constantly buying the wrong cable for connecting to spdif.

I have obviously the Kemper and I want to connect it to my Universal Audio Apollo Twin Solo mkii which has an optical input as you can see in the picture below:

But I seem to keep buying the wrong cable connection, or it doesn't fit in the back of the Kemper.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation?

I'm from the UK just incase anyone suggests some US sites (which is what I've found to be the case after searching the forum about this topic)

Thanks in advanced everyone!

Lewis.

• Nice UA, I own an apollo quad and its the muts nuts.

Anyway You need a convertor, something like this...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable…k-Converter/dp/B001U7ERU6

You can spend considerably more, but maybe wise to try some out.. any decent music store will have something that will do the job.

Remember the Kemper runs at 44.1 not 48 (you'll get a strange metallic sounding after effect) so set the host to be 44.1 apart from that its really easy to use and sound great!! Your signal into the console should be quite hot but you can alter that in the UA app.

• First of all the limited number of inputs is a bit of a limitation to what you can actually do. If you want to record your guitar stereo then basically all your analog inputs are gone just for the "Master Stereo". So you already NEED to use the digital input to record the DI Signal (for future reamping) at the same time.

The downside of analog reamping is ...
    1. The signal will run through additional DA / AD stages with an added risk of level differences. Every change in DI signal level will result in different tone. With S/PDIF both ways, this is MUCH easier and straight forward.
    2. The Alternative Input on the backside of the Profiler is a bit noisier than the front input, so you will likely have to either accept a slightly higher noise level, or swap the front input guitar cable for the reamp cable from your interface. Not very comfortable if you happen to reamp often.

Your interface probably offers you great quality but the limited input / output channel count and the lack of coax S/PDIF in/out is something you will soon feel to be very uncomfortable. There IS a way to do it but it's a bit more work. ;)

• Cheers for the reply buddy, appreciate the advice.

I have since sent the Apollo back, despite being a beautiful interface to use, it clearly isn't up to what I was intending ha!

So I think I'm going to order a Saffire pro 40, seems to have both optical in and out on the back!

• I have to disagree if you are talking about a Mac. I have no issues at all on my 2015 MacBook Pro running a Safire Pro 40 and a Safire Pro 26. Running the latest OSX Sierra. Windows can be tricky though. My band mate had some issues initially but got it to work with Windows 10.