Whammy flutter

• Hi all
    I'm trying to recreate a whammy flutter effect with no success.
    I seem to remember a Boss effect had that feature.
    I have tried using the vibrato fx but it does not cut it.
    I am guessing that to emulate the effect one has to have a vibrato where the speed starts out really fast and slows down really quickly plus the vibrato (pitch) intensity starts high and decreases proportionally to the speed ramp.
    The vibrato parameters do not seem to support the range needed.
    Morphing does not achieve this either.

I am quite new to kemper ( loving it!) so perhaps some of you experienced kemperite gurus might be able to suggest a way to do this.

Apologies if this has been discussed ( and I'm missing something obvious ) but I have not found any threads about this.

Thanks

• Hi
    :thumbup:

Yes of course....i have a tyler variax that has a rather nice graphtech tremolo that will flutter...but my guitar hero abilities are, shall we say,limited ^^

having the effect on demand would be kinda cool, and was just wondering if someone had found a way to emulate it given the current parameter values.

On a completely different note, the adrian belew elephant effect sounds fantastic using the volume pedal :)

• as far as I know the flutter fx is done with the vibrato bar being struck with a single short beat to it. Don Peterson is right!

At least this is what Steve Vai is calling it. The strike to the vibrato bar produces a strong vibration to the coils and then this vibration is transfered to the strings, thus the flutter fx.
    You can check it at the end of the song Blue Powder when Vai plays some notes on top of just the keyboard...

check the video at minute 5:25: vibrato bar flutter

hope this helps

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• @DonPetersen -- What if you have a Les Paul? :P:D;)

@malthusian -- Also, check out this John Petrucci vid in which he shows the technique.

The section you want starts at 04:55

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• Hi all
    As Netheravon pointed out I'm well aware of the technique....that is why I mentioned the whammy bar on the variax.....I can achieve this but not with consistency.

Thus I was wondering if it can b replicated electronically.

The Boss Ps-5 can approximate it.

check the video at around 4.10

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers

• I am guessing that to emulate the effect one has to have a vibrato where the speed starts out really fast and slows down really quickly plus the vibrato (pitch) intensity starts high and decreases proportionally to the speed ramp.

Correct weight, mate; good thinking.

i have a tyler variax that has a rather nice graphtech tremolo that will flutter...

The problem with the trem setup on them is the multicore wire's mass / inertia. I went to great lengths to carve an unimpeded path for it to travel in order to reduce its dampening effect. Basically, it acts like a shock absorber and therefore reduces the excursions of the flutter movement and shortens the die-down time. This included bending the ribbon cable on the motherboard and installing those tacks that hold wire onto skirting boards onto the inner surface of the cut-away to help guide the multicore wire into a straighter path through the hole to the motherboard.

Reducing spring tension to the minimum you can live with is the most-effective action I've tried, I'm afraid.

Another thing to consider is either adding weight to the trem arm or replacing it with a longer / thicker one. This'll make it more-resilient to inertial damping. The crudest-and-cheapest method I can think of is gaffer taping a small fishing sinker as close to the end of the arm as you can live with. That'll theoretically give you mass where you need it in spades; tailor the effect by varying the sinker's size and position.

These measures will help get you further into the ballpark than your "noob" skills are allowing; I have the same problem!

As for electronically producing the effect in the Kemper, I think your theory is sound. Off the top of my head I can't see why you shouldn't be able to morph those parameters. Use the mix % control to fade out as you reduce the depth (excursion amount) and speed. You could keep it permanently-active, but with a 0% mix at, say, the foot-controller's heel position, and take it from there.

Please try this again; the more I think about it, the more-convinced I am it could be done. The only caveat might be the vibrato speed - is there a limitation there?

• Hi Monkey-Man

Yes, I agree with you about the physical properties of the whammy assembly on the Tyler Variax.

After a lot of tweaking ( spring tension and the rest of it ) I can get it to flutter pretty well.

As regards the Kemper: My initial curiosity was to find out if it can emulate this little effect given that the machine is truly incredible in most departments .
    I will give it another try ( and check that I haven't missed a particular parameter)..... on my first attempts I missed the fact that trem speed was locked to tempo...duh!
    If I come up with something presentable I'll upload to RM.

In the meantime thanks to all who dived in (sorry!) on this topic

great forum!!