Have you played any active pickup that was dynamic enough for you? (in rock, blues, ect)

• Dear all,

This is something I have work experience in. That aside, it would interest me to hear views on "dynamics" and active pickups. Basically I want to see if views have changed lately, including what some respected members think.

Do you feel you can get the dynamics you need out of particular active pickups? If yes, what are they? I am not refering to the potential of creating an active pickup that has such dynamics, but in regards to products already out there.

Cheerios and thank you for your views!

PS: this is not market research for any company :)

PS: also not referring to styles of music which do not require much dynamics, even though people do find some actives to be "sub-par" there as well (feel free to talk about that if it's the case in your experience)

• I have hardly used any active pu's but I heard good things about the emg 57 so I got a set of 57/66 for my les paul and I think it's quite good..much better than the emg 81 but a good passive pu is hard to beat when it comes to dynamics...

• The only actives I have are on my EBMM Luke II (EMG 57 in the bridge?). I haven't noticed that they are wildly different to all my other passive-equipped guitars. Having said that, it's been a while since I was a roll-down-the-volume-for-rhythm kind of player.

I also have a James Tyler Studio Elite HD with the active mid boost. I prefer the sound of that without the boost engaged, generally, even when it's turned all the way down.

• Yes, the EMG-X series are really dynamic. Sound much better than their non-X counterparts and are nowhere as compressed. I also quite enjoyed the HetSet very much for a high gain design - even though I'm not too fond of Metallica.

• I have to say that the EMG 57/66 blew away all other EMG's for me
    For ROCK and in a LP they seem to have extra punch but more passive if that makes sense

Black outs i prefer for metal, but EMG did some thing different (think they are made different to normal EMG's)
    EMG 57/66...Then again Bareknuckles can hold their own, i keep forgetting we are talking about rock and blues

check out the demos of the EMG 57/66 (for Rock)
    Hang on is Dimi banned or some thing??
    WTF is that star next to his name??

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.