"Loud" profiles sound better than ones that come quiet, even after cranking those

• I've noticed that the louder a profile is when I initially load it, the more crisp and nuanced it will sound. Even if I take a quiet profile and turn up the volume, it isn't as defined.

I'm wondering if there's a reason why some come louder than others, and if somehow this knowledge can be used to tweak the quiet profiles to sound better.

I've noticed the Choptones and Sinmix ones come louder than most others. I noticed mbritt's are very quiet, and I haven't been able to make them work for me. There has to be some secret here. Sooo many people love mbritt, cili and others that are quiet..there has to be a tweak I'm missing.

Thanks!

• So I tried to fiddle with the eq as well as the clean sens and distorted sense and just couldn't make the quiet profiles sound as good. I am mostly using gain tones like a 5150.

I have experimented with using the rig volume, but whether or not the profile is quiet, they all come with the 0.0 level of volume

• I've tried going into the amp stack and increasing the amp volume a dB or two and that seems to help a little bit. I've also noticed you can bring the amp out a little more by tweaking a combination of the mids, treble or presence and you can A/B the changes by hitting undo and redo as you go to compare.

I'm still a Kemper newb myself but I'm getting more accustomed to it :D

• "Loudness" is often the first thing that determines whether a profile makes the cut for me, and without overthinking it I've assumed it was due to Fletcher-Munson type concerns namely that certain profiles are just way ballsier in the midrange than the rest and don't suffer from "bedroom tone" scoopiness. This is with all things being equal, namely that all the Usual Suspects (Rig Volume, Cab Volume, etc.) are set to their standard defaults.

That said, I remember back in the Kemper's early days there were changes made to the "profile volume normalization algorithm" to address concerns like this but I don't think it ever worked that well; at least, I doubt any psychoacoustic approaches (ala LUFS metering) were used to determine the adjustment. I'd love to know what other people think, though.

Edited 2 times, last by dhodgson ().