So far the best poweramp for the kemper (for me)

• I was pretty shocked last yeah after testing MANY poweramps that none of them fit my taste and needs
    I conntected the kemper to the poweramp of my Victory Kraken, my Engl Invader, a fully analog Gallien Krueger Poweramp from the 80s
    i bought the Camplifier... it it was always too harsh or too stiff or hat way too much subbass ... but today i tried a old Starfield tubepoweramp
    and it has everything i want ... i really recommend these ... they are big and heavy but are so far the best poweramps i tested ...
    and you can get them cheap when they're online

• ... but today i tried a old Starfield tubepoweramp

You mean this one:

In terms of SS I've tried only a Rocktron Velocity 100, but was not convinced. For "tube power" the only test I've done so far was with the poweramp of my Engl Savage 60. I liked it much better than the Velocity.

• I wonder that some of you recomment tube amps. It def color the profile sounds. I also tried a velocity 300 with an internal tube cirquit and it was crappy to a 2x12 v30 celestion mesa boogie real cab. I only can recomment an absolut linear power amp .

• You mean this one:

In terms of SS I've tried only a Rocktron Velocity 100, but was not convinced. For "tube power" the only test I've done so far was with the poweramp of my Engl Savage 60. I liked it much better than the Velocity.

exactly :)

I wonder that some of you recomment tube amps. It def color the profile sounds. I also tried a velocity 300 with an internal tube cirquit and it was crappy to a 2x12 v30 celestion mesa boogie real cab. I only can recomment an absolut linear power amp .

well i didn't like most tube poweramp either and i totally forgot to even try the starfield because i really don't use it anymore but i made some "poweramp only" profiles and tested it and i really liked it a lot ...

maybe this is not a option for people who have already a powered kemper or need to have a small setup

but for the people who have a rack, where 3he still have place i really recommend trying these ... the slight compression in highger volumes is nice and like i said the slower attack smoothens out some otherwise harsh or stiff sounding profiles ...

This is of course only a very subjective opinion of mine but hey :D

And thanks guys for the recommendations ...

• I ran my KPA through an old Marshall EL 84 20/20 tube poweramp and I was under the Impression that it reduces the harshness in some profiles. Sure it colours the Sound of the Profile but in a nice way smoothin out some edges.

bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• i dont know about power amp. for me this is new. When do you need to use power amp for a KPA?

When you try to achieve an amp in the room sound or just experimenting with sound and routing options or the equipment you have on hand. But you are right in the reference book a transistor poweramp is recomended as it does not colour the sound of the profiles.

bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• nice i checked it out :)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• i dont know about power amp. for me this is new. When do you need to use power amp for a KPA?

Hello Vinny,

In answer to your above question...

You would need an external (i.e. stand alone) power amplifier if the following conditions apply:

A) you do not have a powered Kemper

B) you do not have a powered/active monitor

C) you want to connect your non-powered Kemper (see "A") to either a traditional guitar cabinet or a passive FRFR monitor.

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• nice i checked it out :)

Hmmm, I got to say I liked the sound of the KPA through the Peavey's FX return, better than through the ISP Stealth. The tone through the Peavey's poweramp has a lot more presence and attack and upper frequency dynamics. IMHO, the ISP Stealth sounded rather thin and a bit muddy, by comparison. However, maybe that could be remedied, somewhat, by adjusting the EQ controls on the ISP.

EDIT -- Woops, scratch that idea. I just checked. There are no EQ controls on the ISP Stealth. :huh:

• I ran my KPA through an old Marshall EL 84 20/20 tube poweramp and I was under the Impression that it reduces the harshness in some profiles. Sure it colours the Sound of the Profile but in a nice way smoothin out some edges.

bbb

same here with my mesa 2:90

• Pretty happy with Palmer Macht 402 - 'rumble' filter and simple eq (+/-) on lows and highs can save a life adjusting to room rather than tweaking Kemper.
    But anyway I find Kemper in general to be very bassy and I always run -2 on Bass on master EQ.

Running in the past though tube power amps added to much coloring in my sense since most profiles were created with power section characterystic anyway thus you need really a flat amp.
    But of course - whatever works for you :D
    I remember back in first Line6 days everyone was about BBE sonic maximizer and DEQ2496 (if I remember correctly) to reduce 'harshness' of pod pros :D

• Pretty happy with Palmer Macht 402 - 'rumble' filter and simple eq (+/-) on lows and highs can save a life adjusting to room rather than tweaking Kemper.
    But anyway I find Kemper in general to be very bassy and I always run -2 on Bass on master EQ.

Running in the past though tube power amps added to much coloring in my sense since most profiles were created with power section characterystic anyway thus you need really a flat amp.
    But of course - whatever works for you :D
    I remember back in first Line6 days everyone was about BBE sonic maximizer and DEQ2496 (if I remember correctly) to reduce 'harshness' of pod pros :D

I have the Palmer Macht too, i love this poweramp.
    I don't know if this poweramp is absolutely linear but all my rigs sounds awesome with the Palmer.
    Small, light weight and works perfect for me :)