Not an intruction but... carpal tunnel / tendonitis (?!?!!??!? i have no idea yet)

• You found yourself in the medical definition trap!Dont bother with tendinitis or tendinosis they are both inaccurate if you want
    a more precise one that is tendinopathy!But my opinion is you have an acute tenosynovitis and you need rest!

• Hi Cederick,

Very sorry to hear about your tendinitis problems. I've been suffering on and off from this for nearly 20 years. Initially caused by over practising guitar without taking any breaks. Unfortunately i didn't understand the physical symptoms and pushed myself over the edge which put me out of action for nearly 2 years. The most important thing, if you can, is to stop and rest before it gets really bad. From what you're saying, it sounds like you've done that and have caught it early. If you rest up and have a break from playing, the symptoms will hopefully calm down a bit. Try not to worry too much (easier said than done!). What really helped me is finding a good physiotherapist. I'd go to one as soon as possible. They'll probably use treatments like ultrasound to reduce the swelling which will definitely help. They might stretch and manipulate your injured arm to help speed up your recovery. Having professional advice and reassurance really helps put your mind at ease. The worrying is almost worse than the injury!

My treatment involved stretching the nerve that runs from my neck all the way down to my finger tips which is apparently what caused my problems in the first place. My physiotherapist gave me a series of exercises to help with this. I do these before any playing to help me warm up. It really makes a big difference! I wouldn't recommend learning stretches etc from YouTube videos. Only use ones that have been especially prescribed for you by a professional. I also use a neoprene elbow sleeve which really helps support the injury and prevents further strains. I occasionally take ibuprofen before performing when my arm flares up which seems to help. I always find that adrenaline is an amazing thing to help override symptoms and get you through gigs in one piece!

One last thing, I was told not to keep my arm too static and advised to keep moving it.

I hope this helps a bit and wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

Cheers,
    Nick

• Sorry, I think I should have spelt it:

• tendonitis – inflammation of a tendon

Not tendinitis. That will be my spell checker :)

It's basically an R.S.I. or repetitive strain injury: an inflammation caused by too much repetitive movements. Sounds like what you have. I didn't have any redness but was definitely a bit swollen. Sounds like your injury is not too bad if there's no outward swelling.

Cheers,
    Nick

• @Cederick, reading briefly through the article I have to say that on the most part I don't agree and IMO and in my experience in common daily clinical scenarios the difference between tendonitis and tendinosis is in fact negligible, or to put it differently, clinically irrelevant.
    Rest your hand and arm from misuse and stereotypical movement, take the prescribed anti- inflammatory medication, and stop trusting para- medicine guidance more than your doctor who has studied matters like these for years.
    In fact I get sick of people surfing the internet and presenting some information from somewhere without even being able to evaluate a simple medical case they are presented with.
    As a doctor with more than 20 years of professional experience I know that this is the best guidance I can give you, although it will not stop every 'alternative doctor' present on this board to give you recommendations that are not founded on scientific evidence.

I write this in full honesty and wish you well.

• Hi Cederick, you already found the best link at ncbi with actual scientific studies. Doesn't get much better IMHO.

Wise words @Ingolf for pointing out Dr.Google and the likes is not the best option for medical advise. However, a second opinion may be a valuable decision. Trust your intuition and instincts. Being your own advocate is a powerful tool. Misdiagnosis happens, especially when the medical condition has extremely similar symptoms / complex characteristics etc. Having a second or even third set of "trained" eyes, in the respective profession, may result in a very different outcome.

As you may or may not know, I didn't forcefully seek a second or even third opinion regarding my diagnosis. It cost me ten months of chemo treatments that were brutal, unnecessary, and counter productive. After that, I sought out (on my own) one of the top experts in the country for my particular disease. Much to the chagrin of my team of doc's, her recommendation and treatment plan was very different from the course of treatment that they had lined up for me! I wish you the best.

Cheers,

Shawn

• but becuase the doctor doesn't care about anything he just gave me whatever pills he found.
    And it wont even help

Not saying that this is the case, but doctors in general seem to go rather quick over their patients, at least that is most peoples impression ;) That's because I went online and looked for a doctor specialized in injuries common to musicians and dancers, instead of going to my regular-doctor-in-town Like a sports doctor, but different... That local doctor probably doesn't have a clue about the movements you make in a guitar, and his isn't a common cold... This is something if mishandled you're stuck with for quite some time.

I politely mailed that specialized doctor if I should bother coming over with my problem, or see a regular doctor, I was more than welcome, even had a 4 mail conversation about my wrist pains (which I have never seen in my life in the medical world, let alone a specialized doctor), and Monday, I even have to bring my guitar so they can see what kind of movement exactly causes issues.

The doc I'm talking about is a specialized division in the UZ hospital of Antwerp, for anyone that lives nearby ;)

And PS: This is not so much about going to Dr Google and knowing better than my local doc, rather than my psyche being dead scared about these sort of injuries, so wanting to be sure I get the best treatment possible. I've been through such a situation once, with my right fingers, and can kiss my piano playing speed goodbye (although there isn't any doc which can help me with this, this one was brain damage...). Thankfully my picking hands wrist is OK, so I'm OK with a plectrum, but I don't want history to repeat on the left side ;)

• Whatever you want to call it, you've injured your tendon.

As ingolf and one or two of the others are saying, rest plus some anti inflamitries are the most suitable thing right now.

You're getting hung up on the name. Either one of these problems (the one the doc said it is and what you think it is) are basically saying that your tendon got pushed too far. The treatment is 'stop pushing it too far'.

It's a bit like someone smashing into the back of your car at 20mph or you reversing your car into them at 20mph. Different causes, same outcome - a smashed back end of your car. Same fix here too :)

Second treatment he maybe didn't mention is trying to accept that it'll take time. The body does a great job of healing itself if you help it out and part of that is chilling out. Difficult but necessary :). Not suggesting the power of positive thought can heal all - just saying that it's best to accept it, put your time into something completely different for a while and enjoy that otherwise you'll spend your time obsessing over not being able to play and 'micro manage' your recovery, thinking it's not getting better. With this kind of thing, the improvement can be so gradual that you don't notice it and can easily tell yourself that you aren't getting better. Doctor Google only makes this worse - try and avoid seeing him. He's free for a reason :)

I hope you feel better soon.

• Wow, best post here. Ever thought about going into mediation (not meditation) professionally? ;)

• Wow, best post here. Ever thought about going into mediation (not meditation) professionally? ;)

Ha! I've worked in medical sales with the NHS for many years; everything is done by committee so my professional life is spent trying to keep everyone happy. At home, my wife and I celebrate 30 years together in November and we've two daughters (one a teenager). I'm therefore pretty good at mediation but it's a life-long learning curve and I still get it wrong due to being a far from perfect human :)

• There are clinically proven anti inflammatory substances that do MORE therapeutic action than the toxic Allopath sloth they try to put you on. Just consider this.

Several studies on turmeric have concluded that both these factors, NF- κB and COX2 are analogously controlled by turmeric as well, thus producing the effects similar to those of steroids .(Steroids for the inflammatory action)
    https://www.turmericforhealth.…al-medications-hands-down

In fact curcumin and boswella tablets (some thing made by Blackmores) is a potent anti inflammatory, BUT IT DOES OTHER HEALTHY THINGS TO YOUR BODY AND WONT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECTS IN COMPARISON . You can take long term.
    And you will need a combination of nutrients and breathing and stretching , il post it all below.
    Yep we have done this before many times. Read it and weep (or dont weep and just get well).

There is a reason why even WebMD talk about BORON being needed for magnesium and calcium to be absorbed in the body
    They cant tell you why tho can they , but they tell you its true :)

Why do you think arthritis people feel better AFTER boron?

I am gonna keep this short and sweet.
    I suggest doing some DDP Yoga
    DOCTORS TOLD THIS GUY HE WONT WALK AGAIN
    whoopsy he is walking again

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That breathing and stretching part will speed things up and protect it

Doctors told this guy he is gone and on life support
    Guess what? he recovered 100%

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My point, DOCTORS DONT KNOW EVERY THING of WHATS OUT THERE AND HAS BEEN DONE
    NEITHER DO YOU ;) Wanna know whats worked?

OK

You defiantly need a Boron supplement, then some magnesium, AND TO TAKE TURMERIC DAILY (GOLDEN MILK, or turmeric supplements ) DO SOME DDP YOGA STRETCHES AND EXERCISES. Turmeric is the anti inflammatory, the boron and other stuff keeps your muscles and bones operating in peak condition, the DDP Yoga has a rejuvenating effect on the muscles etc.
    Thats the short version, i am keeping it short and not going into scientific detail.

Wont do any thing Ash. Yeah is that why that guy who was told he will never walk again is now walking ??? :)
    Any more BS you like me to address?? ps ill PM some other helpful stuff that i got PM'd from the closet alternative people here, its good advice they sent too :)

Ashtweth

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Fair and VALID Q, i would expect nothing less from Ceddy.

Yep its a problem that most come to me for, "Ash there is so much info out there"
    Since my job (non profit org) is in RESEARCH, i have been able to find what has had the most efficacy /results
    My answer is simple. USE ONLY WHAT IS CHEAP, NON TOXIC FOR LONG TERM USE AND is EFFECTIVE.
    The Doctors ONLY HAVE ONE SIDE. The Alternatives have the other side. (its not theory its RESULTS)

If you try the DDP yoga(works kiiller for your joints and muscles btw) Boron, Turmeric etc. Yes its done work and has worked hence some of the links i posted (i am just trying to keep it short my friend). Show that what the doctor said is not necessarily the case its only what they have researched :).

3 Months!!! its all it would take!, I WOULD TRY ALL THAT FIRST BEFORE CONSIDERING THE HARSHER STUFF.
    Make sure if you do try it, that you WARM UP IN SPECIFIC EXERCISES IN FUTURE
    AND DO/ ONLY PLAY FOR A SET AMOUNT OF TIME DAILY. (3-4 hours after warm ups)

Those Nutrients i posted WILL KEEP YOU SAFE
    AND ARE NON TOXIC LONG TERM.

I remember doing the Clint Paddison Rheumatoid arthritis program many times for people
    He gets people off their medication and relieved of the symptoms of RA

WHY?

THE MENU.
    AND ITS THE MENU THAT CAN KEEP YOU SAFE.
    Here is an example where doctors said people need HEART DISEASE SURGERY.

Guess what?
    ALL CURED
    MEDICALLY SUPERVISED.

Even Bill Clinton did that to cure his heart disease
    PSST.. ALLOPATH (MAINSTREAM DOCTORS DONT HAVE A CURE FOR HEART DISEASE)

GUESS WHAT THE MENU DID!!! YEP proven ....CURED IT , IT WAS ALL MEDICALLY SUPERVISED AND IS ON A DOC
    Want me to post nearly 100 more conditions that Allopath cant cure but alternatives have?
    Bring it on.

IT WORKS.
    Try it first brother (please)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited 2 times, last by ashtweth ().

• What does doctor @Ingolf say about above? Just wondering.

People who continue to claim boldly what they cannot prove scientifically cannot be taken seriously.

Note that I'm a GCP-ICH approved doctor who has been taking part in multi centric, multi national clinical studies to prove a thesis for many years.
    http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/…e/2009/09/WC500002874.pdf

See point 2.: The principles of ICH GCP

• magnesium alone won't help, all of what I posted has scientific reference and results
    Not sure if the question was directed at my post I am just posting encase :)

Magnesium alone is not strong enough for what you need to do, you need to put every thing together
    And yes it's all scientifically sound proven and has results ,my post is full of them
    just encase there was any confusion of my post :)

Ash