Help with harshness --*SOLVED*.

• Ok, I've rested "Rig" (Power on+button "Rig") and it's better. For the moment I'd just test the constructor rigs and some of the Rig Manager.
    But I really don't understand the enthusiasm of the Kemper owner's cause I found all these sounds not really fantastic (Lake of Bit [or Teeth - don't know the word] and no tube sensation). Amplitube 4 has better sounds - To me !
    The only real amp I have is the Jet City 20. And what I heard from the Rig Manager is far from the real one (Testing with the same real cab).
    Maybe I had to carved all my own sounds...Quite disappointed :(

"La théorie, c'est quand on sait tout et que rien ne fonctionne. La pratique, c'est quand tout fonctionne et que personne ne sait pourquoi. Ici, nous avons réuni théorie et pratique : Rien ne fonctionne... et personne ne sait pourquoi !" - Albert E.

• When you use a real cab for monitoring you need to activate the "Monitor cab off" function in the output menu. Otherwise you are sending a cabsimulated sound into a real cab which will result in a muffled tone.
    Have you tried using a headphone to evaluate the sounds?

• Yes, I put the "Monitor cab" off when I plug my Brugera cab.
    No I don't have headphone but I have monitors on my computer where the KPA is link by SPDIF.

"La théorie, c'est quand on sait tout et que rien ne fonctionne. La pratique, c'est quand tout fonctionne et que personne ne sait pourquoi. Ici, nous avons réuni théorie et pratique : Rien ne fonctionne... et personne ne sait pourquoi !" - Albert E.

• Ok, I've rested "Rig" (Power on+button "Rig") and it's better. For the moment I'd just test the constructor rigs and some of the Rig Manager.
    But I really don't understand the enthusiasm of the Kemper owner's cause I found all these sounds not really fantastic (Lake of Bit [or Teeth - don't know the word] and no tube sensation). Amplitube 4 has better sounds - To me !
    The only real amp I have is the Jet City 20. And what I heard from the Rig Manager is far from the real one (Testing with the same real cab).
    Maybe I had to carved all my own sounds...Quite disappointed :(

The Kemper basically just makes a snapshot of a recorded tone. So if you're not making your own profiles you are basically just taking someone else's take on their recorded tone. This is really evident with all those BE100 profiles out there, i.e. even though it is the same amp, they all sound very different from each other depending on how they were mic'd.

Sounds like you are happy with your Jet City 20, so do go ahead and try out some of your own profiling.

I recommend surfing the Net for Kemper pre-made profiles you love. Download or purchase those tones and try them out for yourself. That might give you another perspective or fresh ears to judge your own profiled tones in a different way.

Hope that helps!

• Does it mean that I don't have to worry if All rigs from the KPA (these how are in when I'd buy it) and those in Rig Manager sounds like a cheap transistor amps ?

Sure I'll profile my amp and compare, but it was not for this reason I choose a Kemper.

• Does it mean that I don't have to worry if All rigs from the KPA (these how are in when I'd buy it) and those in Rig Manager sounds like a cheap transistor amps ?

Sure I'll profile my amp and compare, but it was not for this reason I choose a Kemper.

Most of the time time kemper gets very close to the miced up tone. Not 100 percent, but very close, unless it happens to be one of these amps that doesn't profile well or you have preamp + power amp distortion.

If you dislike the tones as much, it's most likely what you don't like is the original amp tones themselves as they were miced up and profiled (unless there is some problem)

I also dislike many profiles I play through for that reason. But that's not that surprising imho.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

It doesn't sound like a cheap transistor amp. There are differences, but the sound is really close to the source profiled and many people can't hear the differences. There must be something wrong in the setup.

Could you please record something and post it here?

• Please try to connect a headphone or active monitor directly to the headphone out or monitor out of the Profiler to find out what is causing your issue.

Oh, yes I did it, I'd tried all the outputs with my monitors, with an amps and with a cab (to the Speaker output). There is no difference between them each time.
    I made some recording pluged in SPDIF : These rigs come from the KPA from origin :

KEMPER - Hi Gain Test :
    1. AS Mars MP Gain8
    2. AS Diesel VH Four
    3. Converter Crunch
    4. Edvaha 5150III Hi Sue Red

KEMPER - Clean Test
    1. Californication
    2. Converter Clean
    3. Fischers Rock Fux Clean1
    4. Goldie Blend

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• At least from my laptop speaker (not home) I don't hear something "off".

• Oh, yes I did it, I'd tried all the outputs with my monitors, with an amps and with a cab (to the Speaker output). There is no difference between them each time.I made some recording pluged in SPDIF : These rigs come from the KPA from origin :

I can understand that that is not everyone's tone for sure. It wouldn't be mine if that matters.

That being said, there are differences between tube amps and the Kemper, plus some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others.

In your example, I'm not hearing anything like a cheap transistor amp and I grew up in the 80's, so I know what cheap sounds like haha ;)

As Dimi84 said above, you may not be digging the "original amp tones" (and as I understand it, how the original amp was mic'd up) but you may not be digging a certain frequency in the profiling as well. There are discussions on this forum about that. You may not be digging the mic'd up tone vs the room sound. That is just something you may want to consider as well.

As a reassurance, I wasn't entirely happy with the factory presets. And if those were the only ones available I may not have kept my Kemper (*). That being said, there are a lot of very very usuable tones on the Rig Exchange/Manager. And there are many great commercial profiles out there.

(*) Tones are subjective and the presets are great for sure, so I'm not knocking them

Hope that helps.

• As a reassurance, I wasn't entirely happy with the factory presets

I haven't used most of them and felt I could get better tones with amplitube as well. I don't think people realize, at times, how good other modelling software/units can be.

Then I profiled my own amps to get what I personally like. I also found people who made profiles that just worked with my own taste, perception of what is good. Sinmix and big hairy profiles for example.

Kemper is very close to real tone as we know. There are differences. But I doubt they are deal breakers for most poeple and also the reason why kemper doesn't sound good for some.

• Also there is a lot of focus here on "amps". Example: people will ask for some rare amp, but tend to neglect other aspects of signal chain.

You can have me and the producer behind Big Hairy profiles dial in and profile the same amp. Same mic. Cab. And still there may be enough difference, in how we set it all up, to make you much prefer one profile over another (other times tones are very similar, but that's not the whole story).

So I would recommend you to also keep in mind the effect of the entire signal chain. Trying out different profiles from sellers is a good idea as has been said. Plenty of audio demos on youtube. It's worth also asking what pickup the seller used in making the profiles.

Cheerios

• I'm an Amplitube user and I was horrified when I heard the Kemper for real after buying it. So, if you tell me that these tones that I send previously are normal and you were in the same case at the beginning, I believe you and I'm reassured.
    Tomorrow I'll go to the seller to compare rigs from an another KPA.
    If things are all right, I'll work on my tones to make the best (for me).

Thanks to all of you for help and reactivity, May the tones be with you !!!

• You can have me and the producer behind Big Hairy profiles dial in and profile the same amp. Same mic. Cab. And still there may be enough difference, in how we set it all up, to make you much prefer one profile over another (other times tones are very similar, but that's not the whole story).

^^This! This! THIS!

In my humble opinion, when you buy a commercial profile you are buying 25% the amp's profile and 75% the production skills of the person profiling. People tending to neglect that a lot in my experience.

Another thing I would like to add, in my experience, tone = tuning and timing 75% of the time. That is why you can find top-notch player getting amazing tones from a Gorilla solid state amp, or BIAS or a can of beans.

Remember music is about feeling, timing, tuning and a lot more, not just the amp or custom shop guitar. And btw, those percentages I used are probably wrong, it was just to demonstrate a point. :thumbup:

• Just to close this topic and let you know the end of this story : I went to the seller shop with my guitar this morning and ask him to test an other one. And then, I felt what you the other have felt at the first note 8o .

So, the problem came from my unit !!!

The the guy said that he had sold me the demonstration unit !!!

We switched and now everything is in order :D !

Now I can start the adventure !

Thanks again to those how tried to help - And for those how have the same kind of problem, I just wanna said that the Kemper had to sounds good with headphone, in other case : do what you had to do before the end of the guaranty !