FRFR Dilemma!

• Hey All,

I have just recently bought a Kemper un-powered rack with the Kemper remote and firstly can i say i will never need to buy another amp! This thing truly lives up to the hype and after my extensive research i'm a glad i made the decision to get a Kemper.

I made the order from Andertons in the UK as i'm not far from the shop so had the opportunity to go and play the guitar i was picking up through a Kemper and an Atomic CLR wedge which i had also ordered that day. I have since received the Kemper but not the CLR and have been waiting over a month for it, now from what ive read on here im not the first person to be left waiting for one and i new there would be a wait but i have contacted Andertons but they are telling me there is no way they can tell me when my order will arrive.

So at this point i am torn.....

Do i wait for the CLR or do i swap it with another FRFR alternative like the Friedman ASM-12? My problem is, is that i have to get it from andertons as i got this order on a a loan and so i am limited as to what andertons can get in stock.

I just wanted to know what peoples opinions were with regards to the friedman asm-12 and how it compares to the CLR NEO wedge and has anyone had any problems handling it as i know it is substantially heavier than the CLR NEO wedge and also the handle is in a really crap place!

Thanks!

• Hey Robman,

i have looked through and can find a lot about the CLR but not much about the Friedman? it seems a lot of the discussion i found was older before the friedman was available as far as i can tell, if it was available at the time im sure that someone would have mentioned it in those threads but i searched to no avail!

Thanks

• Thanks @Zappledan!

@patrick2099 ive seen a lot about the DXR10's but i dont like the look! originally i wanted to get the Mission Gemini 2 as it looks like a cab and has some cool other functions that i know id make use of but they are more expensive and id already pissed off the missus as is!

@vanilla gorilla there is just a couple of build aspects i don't like about the Friedman like the fact its substantially heavier and the handle is in the worst possible place! and they have a cab version?!

i have just done a google search on it and now i know what you are talking about! The ASC-12 as apposed to the ASM-12.
    I can only assume they stand for active stage cabinet and active stage monitor.

the two things that persuaded me to get the CLR over the other options is its size as the 1" driver is co-axially mounted so its literally just a 1x12 as apposed to the Friedman having the smaller driver mounted next to the main cone like a conventional speaker.
    And also how on 1 or 2 reviews if my memory serves me correctly they said the 'sweet spot' for this amp is huge and the frequency drop off is really good! That's one key problem i have with my current setup is that its a frickin laser beam!

• Just my two cents: I own two DXR10's and they sound (in stereo) awesome. I've also experimented with a "home made" coaxial cab - a Laney IRT112 with a Éminence Beta 12CX + ASD1001 + 2k5 cross over - same setup as Xitone. If you want a cab-like feel, don't go for the DXR's. Why? 'Cause they're intended to be used as a wedge or as a small PA so they are not "beaming" like a guitarcab. It is just another way of approaching.
    I'm about to do another experiment. Once again with a 1x12 cab but this time with a Beyma 12GA50 - which is a so called Whizzer cone, it almost has the same frequency response of a coaxial solution so I'm very curious how that would turn out.

• I want to make the most of the cabinet simulation on the kemper and so that's why i'm going with FRFR and not a traditional cab but i would be interested to hear your results @DML

@niloc i am so torn right now man!! and i appreciate your username too hahaha

@RookGarner i have no idea mate, as i said in my post i ordered mine on the 26th of July and have contacted Andertons repeatedly and they have said they have no update on when they will receive the items i have ordered (Precision Drive too! :thumbup: ) but i don't have any problem with Andertons as i knew there would be a wait getting the two items but i thought id at least be able to get an accurate date as to when i would receive them!

• @RookGarner i have no idea mate, as i said in my post i ordered mine on the 26th of July and have contacted Andertons repeatedly and they have said they have no update on when they will receive the items i have ordered (Precision Drive too! :thumbup: ) but i don't have any problem with Andertons as i knew there would be a wait getting the two items but i thought id at least be able to get an accurate date as to when i would receive them!

Please keep us in the loop laddie! Would love to know how the CLR works out for you!
    Andertons are great, btw!

• For those living in the EU, there's extremely good deals for the Yamaha DXR series right now.
    For example Thomann offers the DXR10 for 502 Euros only, bax-shop and musicstore even for only 491 Euros.
    That's a roughly 20% price drop since about 2 weeks.
    Can't tell how long this will last but I've never seen them this low. :)

• The only thing that gets me with the DXR10's is that they aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing and i have gone the whole hog with this rig and spent a lot of money so i wanted the best of the best both sonically and aesthetically and as much as the DXR10's sound great they dont look great and really i wanted something that i could put the head on top of.

• I remember carrying my dxr10 into rehersal for the first time, the band pointed and laughed at its size and assumed it would never do the job. 10 minutes later they were stunned.

In my opinion it looks fine, it's how it sounds that really matters, noone in the audience is judging you based on the look of your gear.