FRFR Dilemma!

• This has never been an issue for me.

Hope I'm not coming off as rude, but does this mean it's not an issue for you in particular - or is the fan really not audible during really quiet passages (like objectively)?
    I have read very contradicting reviews on this and this would be a real deal breaker, as we have really quiet acoustic passages and an audible fan would really kill the atmosphere...

• thanks @ancientmariner - that sounds reassuring!

On a sidenote: the new Altos (TS210 & TS212) seem to get great reviews with the Kemper. Has anyone compared them with the DXR10s side by side? (sorry for hijacking - was just curious)
    The low price is a bit worrying to me as I cannot imagine a quality product given such a low price.

• no need to apologize i wanted every ones opinions on whats generally the best option i have ordered the CLR as i could find anything that 1. i personally didn't like about and 2 that anyone else really could find wrong with it!

ultimately if people have any info on how to contact Atomic or if they had a tried and tested method of getting some info from them then let me know but i wanted a discussion that would bring all options to the table!

i simply dont know all the options there are when it comes to FRFR i simply looked into the top end i.e friedman, atomic, mission and a few other and usually you expect with the greater price tag comes the greater quality or RND, but i also appreciate that someone like yamaha who have been doing this sort of thing for years compared to friedman atomic and mission and have created a great product which though physically ans aesthetically doesnt fit the bill for me sonically might be spot on!

And thanks for everybody's input too, much appreciated!

• If your choices are between the CLR and Friedman, I'd wait on the CLR. Even though some people love it, others don't, I've never heard the quality or volume questioned as I have with a few Friedman's on this very forum. One user having volume issues was in a protracted discussion (and long silences from the manufacturer) with Friedman and lead nowhere. The thing is also heavy as hell whereas a Neo CLR is pretty convenient.

I'm not sure what Andertons stocks to advise on any other choices. Obviously the DXR10's are a popular "budget" choice on the forum. I prefer coaxial designs myself because they respond and behave more like a cab. Mission Engineering Gemini's & XiTone cabs are FRFR coaxial speakers.

• thanks @ancientmariner - that sounds reassuring!

On a sidenote: the new Altos (TS210 & TS212) seem to get great reviews with the Kemper. Has anyone compared them with the DXR10s side by side? (sorry for hijacking - was just curious)
    The low price is a bit worrying to me as I cannot imagine a quality product given such a low price.

Yep, I did. Compared the DXR10 with the TS210. The Alto doesn't come close at all. Yes, it's cheaper and yes, it sounds cheap.

• Is the DXR fan audible at really quiet song passages?

If you drive it with considerable volume and then completely stop playing you'll certainly hear the fan in a dead silent room. But since you hopefully won't ever gig in a dead silent room, it will not be an issue. :) Have used it even in small acoustic gigs and no issue at all, never heard it.

• Obviously the DXR10's are a popular "budget" choice on the forum

Imho, it's not so much about "budget". Had compared them to way more expensive speakers and they just don't fall short.
    Let me give you a bit more detail:

Yes, there are some active FRFR speakers that have a "better" "overall" sound. These speakers would probably do a great job for PA purposes. Some can even do without an additional subwoofer for small venues. The DXR10 might not be made for this. The huuuuge benefit of the DXR10 is that they sound very good and get very loud at very small footprint and weight for monitoring ... without "getting in the way" on a busy stage. They don't try to kick the lowest and most badass bass in your stomach. You get a great, loud sound with plenty of definition and pretty good behaviour on the transients for an added "direct" and "responsive" feel without attempting to cause an earthquake rumble in the lows.

I have even tried way more expensive huge 15" active FRFR speakers hoping for the added low end. But they just didn't have the direct feel (transients, attack). Some even felt like cheap carton box speakers compared to this crazy DXR10.

So again, at least in my case it's not a matter of being a "budget" solution. :)
    They are just great and Yamaha is lucky enough to produce and sell enough of them to make them a steal.

• I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha DXR10 and the Michael Britt Xitone. The Yamaha gets great reviews, has a great warranty, and I'm sure I would love it. I can find less info on the Michael Britt one, but it I like all of the configuration options. I also like the way it looks. Plus, if it is good enough for him, it is definitely good enough for me. I just don't know if I want to pay double the price when I will probably only play in front of people a few times a year.

• Imho, it's not so much about "budget". Had compared them to way more expensive speakers and they just don't fall short.

I didn't mean it as if it's only a good option on the cheap, only that time and again its pricepoint coupled with its quality is referenced to newcomers. Plenty have opted for the DXR10's to avoid paying outlandishly on a CLR, hence I put "budget" in quotes.

I'm trying to decide between the Yamaha DXR10 and the Michael Britt Xitone. The Yamaha gets great reviews, has a great warranty, and I'm sure I would love it. I can find less info on the Michael Britt one, but it I like all of the configuration options. I also like the way it looks. Plus, if it is good enough for him, it is definitely good enough for me. I just don't know if I want to pay double the price when I will probably only play in front of people a few times a year.

Personally, I'd go XiTone because it's a coaxial design. It will feel and respond much more like a traditional cab. PA speakers sound like PA speakers to me. Not the worst thing, but doesn't really inspire me either. I play a Mission Gemini 1-P and I can promise you that you'll immediately notice the difference.

Even though it's not coaxial, for a small jump in price from the DXR10's, check out the Matrix stuff.

• The only thing that gets me with the DXR10's is that they aren't exactly aesthetically pleasing and i have gone the whole hog with this rig and spent a lot of money so i wanted the best of the best both sonically and aesthetically and as much as the DXR10's sound great they dont look great and really i wanted something that i could put the head on top of.

Our other guitarist has a DXR and its excellent. He also has an empty Marshall 4 x12 for the "look". The dxr is pointed at the band which is even better...just a thought.

• I just purchased one DXR10 and I am really really happy with it! Sure, my 4x12 blows a lot more wind around my knees but soundwise the DXR10 is really good! Because the Price dropped insanely, I purchased another one and will play stereo from now on :)

• For more wind blowing around your knees you could ad one DXS12!! Imagine, two DXR10's left and right in front of you, in stereo and one DXS12 in mono behind you.

• For more wind blowing around your knees you could ad one DXS12!! Imagine, two DXR10's left and right in front of you, in stereo and one DXS12 in mono behind you.

It could always be better ;). But at the end this only would make sense in the rehearsal room. I would never ever carry all that stuff to a gig. :P And if this was no argument I could just ask my wife what she thinks about the third speaker after purchasing the Kemper and the Remote :D