New Strat..

• Hi there..

I am thinking about to let my 70s Stratocaster at home..she got old,tired and the playability was ofcourse always a big problem(bends high-E string were never possible).She still sounds great as ever but I have decided that a high quality Stratocaster with a more modern neck/fretboard is the thing I need.I just dont have the testosterone anymore to get into the "close infight" with this guitar..to much blood and pain I gave(better said my left hand) now it is time to calm down.... ;(

So..I never did this...I never asked in any musicforum before I got a new guitar but now I live in a country in which many companies (like Suhr) just dont deliver...at least not directly.I guess I will go the thomann way..

What do I want;

A high quality Stratocaster.Quality and most of all playability are my main concerns.The Suhr classic pro is something I strongly think about.I would like an SSS configuration an the "medium-C" neck is something I will surely like;Opinions on that;

I also think about the Fender Elites..I could get one here on order from a shop in my town..any opinions;

I am thankfull to to any suggestions.Oh..should be in the 1500-2500 euro price class,thanks in advance..

• I was going to suggest a Suhr when I saw the thread's title, Nikos.

Can't recommend them highly-enough. You'll get the playability, build quality and sound you desire, IMHO.

Also, I'd consider getting an HSH configuration, but that's only 'cause I don't mind the sound of Suhr's split 'buckers. Oh, and an ML single coil in the middle - all the classy jangle and chime you'll ever need, mate.

• Agreed, 'mousse - I love Music Man, especially the Lukes and Stingray basses.

The OP wanted a Strat tone 'though, AFAICT, and in MHO neither the Luke nor Petrucci "superstrats" sounds like a Strat. They both sound terrific; just more-different from a typical Fender Strat than a Suhr Strat does, IMHO.

• @Monkey_Man

Yes..Suhr seems the way to go..but I have enough of HBs on strats..never again.Same as Floyds..Maybe a "stacked"/mini-HB on the bridge but thats it..the issue is that if I have the HB-"option" I always will end up at some point using them..for shred..and I just dont want this anymore..ofcourse I do when I dont have any ideas for melodies and harmonies but SCs on a strat are the best way to "regulate" this.. ;)

@pamplemousse

Thanks man..I will let you know..I am very curious myself how this will end..

Anyone here who has tried the elites;

• I'd sure go single coils all the way, Tom Anderson , Suhr, but not Fender they are way overpriced for what you get.

Another option is a luthier, with your exact specs, I know resell-ability is low, but you're looking for a keeper I guess ?

• @waraba

Honestly I dont know..chances are high for that if quality and playability are indeed what I am looking for..and the sound is at least just a little bit more than "good"..I need a "high quality tool".I dont expect love at the first sight..at least not when it comes to tone.My 70s Strat set a very high standard (for me)..

btw..I am not a big TA fan..great quality but indeed (IMO) to "cold"..same reason I never bought me a PRS.

• @waraba

Honestly I dont know..chances are high for that if quality and playability are indeed what I am looking for..and the sound is at least just a little bit more than "good"..I need a "high quality tool".I dont expect love at the first sight..at least not when it comes to tone.My 70s Strat set a very high standard (for me)..

btw..I am not a big TA fan..great quality but indeed (IMO) to "cold"..same reason I never bought me a PRS.

I feel the same way about the sound of the Suhrs I've played, YMMV.

You could pick up a nice used Fender Custom Shop Strat off of eBay in your price range. They are very nice instruments, IMO.

• I feel the same way about the sound of the Suhrs I've played, YMMV.
    You could pick up a nice used Fender Custom Shop Strat off of eBay in your price range. They are very nice instruments, IMO.

Thats the thing..I never played that many Suhrs(as I did with TA) so your opinion counts a lot for me..actually not good news because if this will be indeed the case the Suhr will not be a keeper..

• I feel the same way about the sound of the Suhrs I've played

I found the Modern Pros to be cold-sounding, so it wouldn't Suhrprise me if you've played models with the same or similar wood combinations.

My fave is the Modern Satin - if you like mahogany, it's Mahogany Heaven™.

In this case 'though, Nikos is thinking about a "Strat-alike" from Suhr, a different matter entirely.

• I found the Modern Pros to be cold-sounding, so it wouldn't Suhrprise me if you've played models with the same or similar wood combinations.
    My fave is the Modern Satin - if you like mahogany, it's Mahogany Heaven™.

In this case 'though, Nikos is thinking about a "Strat-alike" from Suhr, a different matter entirely.

Yes exactly..an "easy/non-sweat-strat" is what I am looking for.For as much quality as I can get for my few bucks.

• I just picked up a 2017 American Pro Strat, I have two other Strat's to compare it to. I went with HSS and rosewood for this one.

I really like the new deep-C neck, with the narrow-tall frets, and 9.5 radius. For me, It has just the right amount of shoulder on the neck, to get clean and precise bends, consistently. Never frets out, it feels like less work than my other Strats, to achieve the same results.

The new pickups sound more articulate, or brighter, than my 2013 HSS, or '59 reissue SSS. I'm not sure if I'm completely satisfied with the new SC pickups, they aren't bad in any way, just different, more modern sounding somehow.

I use a Tremel-no on my other Strats to lock out the Trem, for the hardtail experience. I left the new one floating, it stays in tune fairly well.

Treble bleed circuit is nice, the satin neck back feels good too.

The deep-C neck, narrow-tall frets, might not suit everyone, but after getting a Tele with that combo, I had to have a Strat too.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Just to throw the cat among the pigeons, but have you looked at Folreden? @breu aka Bert Meulendijk turned me on to them and they make very reasonably priced, great-sounding strats. You could buy 2 1/2 of them for the price of a Suhr, though I'm not knocking Suhr as they make exceptional guitars, although I personally find them a bit characterless. Somehow, I've ended up with 5 strat-a-like guitars, NOT including my Luke II and Charvel GG. Depending on what mood I'm in, they all have something to offer. My Tyler SE HD is the best workmanship I've ever seen in a guitar I've owned, my Fender CS strat is the most satisfying to play, but the Folreden has the most interesting and versatile sound. Good luck in your quest!

• @sambrox

Yes..hints like these (Folreden) are what I need..if there are top instruments out there which cost not as much as Suhr or Fender custom..but are still great guitars...thank you!

What about the neck/fretboard on the Folredens;I read recently about the Elites` "Compound profile neck) and I really wish I could try one of these..

@JSB

Are these Pro strats much different from the Elites;

• Hi,

Some weeks ago I bought a professional Fender Telecaster (SS) and I will say yeah to everything JSB told about his new strat.

The deep-C neck, narrow-tall frets, might not suit everyone, but after getting a Tele with that combo, I had to have a Strat too

I would like to add that intonation even above the twelve fret really is a dream. I have to get used to the very dominant sound of the bridge pu though. This tele - moreover it's butterscotch blond and really a lightweight - definitely is a keeper. I took it to the latest gig and I was blown away when I hit the neck pu for some J.J. Cale stuff: Thick, articulate, sustain till tomorrow...
    Love it. Only thing I changed at once: Away with the gauge 9 set of strings and back to the trusted brand of gauge 10 strings.

Just looked up "folreden guitars" in the netherlands. Prices for a fancy strat are about €1500,00. A bit less than Fender's new model. I'm not sure wether you may order a neck with the specifications fund in the professional strat. Same thing goes for the treble bleeding circuit. But it's better to ask them. Maybe they'll do it even though they don't offer it in their website shop.
    Greetings

Joachim

Edited 3 times, last by HamerJo ().

• Any thought about building your own? Warmoth ships internationally. For less than $1000, you can get the same quality (or better) as any Custom Shop offering.

To be honest not anymore..I "killed" so many guitars (mostly experimenting with Floyd Rose superstrats messing up with everything a long time ago..

You know..guitar players play guitar..luthiers build guitars..an this is fine as it is.. ;)

• @sambrox

What about the neck/fretboard on the Folredens...

Mine is quite vintage in feel, more a C than a D shape neck profile and with a fretboard radius that I'm guessing is somewhere between 7 and 9 inches with regular frets (not jumbo, as all modern guitars seem to feature these days). I'm sure Bas at Folreden will be happy to accommodate your wishes, should you prefer other specs, though.