Definition set to "10" sound issues - Solved

• Hi Guys,
    Been loving the Kemper so far. Made and use my own profiles alot and with great success. Recently I have a project that required some fairly bright soft crunch marshall sounds like from the JMP era amps, and have been using some from the user free profiles posted in Rig Exchange. With a few tracks, either Lespaul or Strat, no issues, but as soon as I get four or moe tracks, like a few rythmn doubled and then a couple solo tracks on top, I get this harsh mash that seems to come from the grouping of guitar tracks. I solo them up and they are fine on their own, but with the rest of the band, it sounds harsh all together.
    I found out that in all cases the "definition" parameter was set to 10, so I lowered that but found that the sound lost the sparkle it had, and was less usefull.
    Any way to get that brighter sound in another way ?
    Any comments welcome (even if you feel my ears are toast).
    btw- I seem to get this only on Marshall type amps, not the high gain amps or fenders etc. There must be something in the Marshall that is hard to capture ....? (I have a few Marshalls, a JTM 50 blackflag,a JMP50 and a Randy Rhoad Re-issue) The JTM50 can sometimes breakup badly, but never with this hash up top like I'm hearing in the kemper.

• It all depends on the profiles if you want to have a good sound with your Kemper.
    I prefer mostly commercial profiles because these guys (TAF, Michael Britt,...) know exactly what to do
    to capture an amp.
    So my advice: buy some professional profiles.

• If a Marshall is defenition 10 with no boost then it's been profiled wrong or artificially enhanced. Best to maybe lower it and then add a green scream instead so you'll retain some character and keep it more natural.

• If a Marshall is defenition 10 with no boost then it's been profiled wrong or artificially enhanced. Best to maybe lower it and then add a green scream instead so you'll retain some character and keep it more natural.

Best to use a different profile!
    ;)

• I should have thought to try a pedal in front. Good idea.

Otherwise this one profile sounds interesting to me otherwise. I'll try pure cab as well. The problem with EQ is that it doesn't really seem to remove the "harshness" in the extreme top end that I'm hearing with definition turned up so much. Even post processing with an eq in the daw, like my fav wave ssl or whatever doesn't seem to fix this. It's like definition is affecting more then just the top, it's changing the tonel in a more fundamental way.

What I'm now thinking is to just profile my own with a much brighter tone from one of my amps to begin with.

I haven't tried any commercial profiles, what I heard in the demos for some didn't fair better then my own profiles for some reason.

• So I think I found the issue and the Kemper actually pointed it out. I guess I should be thankful I heard it. While preparing a little clip, I opened the session at my home studio, not my work studio and found that issue not present, well as far as I can tell. I now suspect a clocking issue, or more pointedly, I may need to ditch the Big Ben clock and go back to the Avid clock. Anyway, if anyone hears something amiss, I'd appreciate it anyway.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

it's axe alone, then with band, another section axe alone then with band and finally a shot section of just drum and bass for reference. Anyway, it sounds fine to me, not hearing the issues I was before. Now I have some troubleshooting to do on my work studio. :(

• So I think I found the issue and the Kemper actually pointed it out. I guess I should be thankful I heard it. While preparing a little clip, I opened the session at my home studio, not my work studio and found that issue not present, well as far as I can tell. I now suspect a clocking issue, or more pointedly, I may need to ditch the Big Ben clock and go back to the Avid clock. Anyway, if anyone hears something amiss, I'd appreciate it anyway.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

it's axe alone, then with band, another section axe alone then with band and finally a shot section of just drum and bass for reference. Anyway, it sounds fine to me, not hearing the issues I was before. Now I have some troubleshooting to do on my work studio. :(

So those samples are of the newly corrected version?

• Original profiles/tracking but i played the session out of my home studio not my work studio. There was def something wrong in the bounce from my work studio. I think the sounds with definition turned up just pointed to another issue I'm facing at work.
    Funny thing is I never thought to bounce from home, I was just listening to the bounces in different locations, like car home stereo and headphones etc. Wife also heard the issue. Sorry for the fuss.