Is it just me or...

• ...are there so many great free profiles out there that paid ones are bordering on unnecessary?

I dunno. I picked up my Kemper three months ago and have been living in a state of pure, perpetual bliss ever since. There are so many fantastic profiles I'm picking up on Rig Manager, from the old Bassmans to some of my favourite Carrs and Polytones. I'm getting a lot of compliments on my tone. I feel like I'm converting people to Kemper every day.

When planning the purchase of this thing, I budgeted for all the paid profiles I'd be getting, and have so far bough precisely zero. I do a lot of production and engineering, so my ear's pretty good, but am I missing a whole other world by not paying for my profiles? Sure, I guess there's a consistency, but I'm curious to hear how much 'better' they are.

Over and out x

• No only the rig exchange offer good free, you can also get them in this forum where the generous members provide them.
    Free rigs and profiles

The commercial profiles are a convenience if you happen to be there and hear a sound provided by a commercial seller and you don't want to spend the time and effort looking for a similar profile. That's how I see it, many free profiles are as good as it gets.

• I agree.

I would like to se more merged profiles available both in commercial and free sections.

• Well, there's tons of good and excellent free rigs many of them are part of a new Kemper. That has been so from day one.

but I'm curious to hear how much 'better' they are.

But: I really would miss the rigs I bought or got free via Kemper support from TAF, M. Wagener and M.Britt. Till now I did not find a Fender TWIN Reverb (1956) profile in the same ballpark (well that is subjective of course) as those done by M. Britt or TAF. On the other hand I surely would miss the wonderful (free) profiles from "pausio" as Dynacord Twen, Echolettes and so on.
    The last few free deliveries from Kemper support are really good stuff and let you hear wether the guys doing them have something in store for you. They allow you to compare on a wide range of profiles.

Greetings
    Joachim

• No only the rig exchange offer good free, you can also get them in this forum where the generous members provide them.
    Free rigs and profiles

The commercial profiles are a convenience if you happen to be there and hear a sound provided by a commercial seller and you don't want to spend the time and effort looking for a similar profile. That's how I see it, many free profiles are as good as it gets.

@Alexmemory1,

Further to @Dean_Rs excellent advice, in the Free Rigs and Profiles subforum you will find one of the most recent examples of some truly outstanding free profiles, which have been generously provided by @diogofis. Here is a direct link to this thread:

Marshall Plexi Profiles - and my all my amps

Cheers,
    John

• No, it's not just you, Alex.

Obviously the hit : miss ratio's not as stellar as it is for bought Profiles, but with over 10 000 to choose from on the Exchange plus the offerings that're unique to the forum, logic dictates that a little patience should surely be rewarded.

• Plenty of good freebies, though it depends what you're after. People often only talk about the amp & the cab, but truthfully the profile is of an entire signal chain. Often commercial profilers have pieces of equipment that your average home musician profiling their rig doesn't. Things like different mic's, preamps, many different cabs, etc. This is no guarantee of success since I've bought a fair amount of profiles and kept a pretty marginal percentage of them.

Either way, if you find what works for you, you find what works for you. After initially feeling freebies were all I needed, I've come to discover I trust more the commercial side.

• I was close to selling my KPA and going back totally to tubes, until I started buying commercial profiles. They're all I use.
    I've come across 1 or 2 free (Rig Exchange) that are nice, but I"m not going to waste time going through 10,000 profiles to find something I like.

I have heard commercial profiles that sounded awful to me. Chances are, if the person profiling and I have similar tastes in music, amps, and guitars.....I will like their profiles.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me