I need some help with a danelectro talkbox...

• Hey,

I bought a danelectro freespeech talkbox a while back as I'm in a 'hair metal' band, and I saw this come up on a Facebook page and thought why not il give it a go see what it sounds like!

Now it came with the tube but not the mic so I was confused as to how I was going to use it!

I found a few videos of people using them through a vocal mic but the problem is to match the volume of my amp at a gig the vocal mic would need to be cranked to the eyeballs! So I figured the 3.5mm jack mic that's supposed to come with it and clips to the tube (that I don't have) would feed the signal back into the pedal and in to the amp.

After some time considering my pedal setup I determined that as the pedal adds 'growl' to the signal I couldn't run that through the kemper profile I was using as the growl plus the gain I would imaging would be just pure noise, so I figured I would feed it into the second channel of the Atomic CLR (which I haven't got yet :(
    ) and then using the channel volume on that to match the kemper output.

This evening I tried it with a small lavalier mic used for picking up conversations (i.e talk shows or interviews) that sort of thing but it didnt seem sensitive enough to pick up the sound sufficiently enough to amplify it through the pa.

Now I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but I'm not ofey with pedal setups and how a signal chain should be organised but this is what I have so far!

Wireless > A/B pedal > channel A goes in to the talkbox and then into the second channel of a pa and channel B goes into a precision drive then into a vocal harmoniser and into the first channel of a pa and the vocals from the vocal harmoniser goes out to FOH.

Sorry if that makes no sense but it's the only way I can describe how it is setup, like I said not my forte! If anyone has any experience with this particular pedal or can give me some advice on what I'm doing wrong then it would be much appreciated.

P.s sorry for the ridiculously long post but I thought I'd be thorough and if there is anymore info needed just ask and il do my best to provide it with my primitive knowledge!

• so you have it set up so that the signal coming out of your mouth from the pedal just feeds into your mic? My only problem is i don't feel it will be able compete with the volume of my amp?

this might seem like stupid question but do you sing the notes you are playing or just let the guitar do the work?

i was looking at the rocktron but i dont feel like shelling out £250 for something im going to use on 2 songs in a set!

• Is the Freespeech as loud as someone singing? If so, it should be loud enough to work without the sound engineer needing to turn up your mic.

The guitar does the work to create the notes, and you articulate them with your mouth. For the best sound, you want your vocal cavity to match the pitch of the guitar (without actually singing). So, you "silently sing". If that is hard for you to do at first, sing along to practice with it, until you can do it without making any sound of your own.

• That's what i have been doing, 'mouthing' the notes i'm playing without actually singing them and like you said using my vocal cavity to match the notes i'm playing but not actually singing, but my problem is, is its just not loud enough to match the volume of my amp so when i switch it on to use it my level is dropped substantially and the volume is no longer audible within the rest of the band?

Maybe the i could use a better quality vocal mic as im using cheap behringer mics supplied at the studio at present and they are not the most powerful of mics.

do you think its worth me picking up a small clip on mic like the one you are supposed to get with it and see if it makes a difference?

cheers for the advice!