Anyone tried the QSC K12.2 series yet?

• I've been using the Yamaha DXR series and I'm just wondering how the new version of the K12 series sounds. I guess it's called the K12.2. I like the Yamaha, but the DO color the tone a bit. I'm still trying to find the most flat and true speaker available. My headphones sound great and more clear than any of the speakers I've tried. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the DXR. But I'd really like to find something for live use that is as close to true and flat as possible. My in-ears sound great too. But I'd like to find a speaker that can mimic that as closely as possible.

• I'm curious, you say the DXR colors a bit. What is your benchmark according to the most "flat sound" you're hearing. Is it your headphones? In that case it's a wake up call, you'll never find a speaker that sounds like your headphones. Never ever.

• I'm curious, you say the DXR colors a bit. What is your benchmark according to the most "flat sound" you're hearing. Is it your headphones? In that case it's a wake up call, you'll never find a speaker that sounds like your headphones. Never ever.

The DXR if far from the best sounding monitor on the planet. The dude is simply asking if he spent a bit more money, would he get a better speaker. The answer is, yes. But, the new QSC is likely only a small improvement over the DXR so I wouldn't bother. If you want to see a significant improvement, expect to pay double what you payed for the DXR. Of course, it's not going to be double the quality...but noticeably better. I like the CLR, lots here like the CLR...but, some don't think it's worth the extra money

• I like the Yamaha, but the DO color the tone a bit. I'm still trying to find the most flat and true speaker available. My headphones sound great and more clear than any of the speakers I've tried. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the DXR. But I'd really like to find something for live use that is as close to true and flat as possible. My in-ears sound great too. But I'd like to find a speaker that can mimic that as closely as possible.

I know exactly what you're saying and wondered if an 'upgrade' would be worth the money.
    When I'm rehearsing with the band I usually go through the PA when I'm tweaking my tones, because that's what I want the audience to hear. But at a gig I have my Dxr10 in front of me, and while it's close, I do feel the difference!!
    The Dxr10 is so handy and light, but I'm interested to hear opinions on more expensive Frfr speakers.

• The DXR10 doesn't cut it for me. I usually use a DXR15 for live stuff if I want to use something other than my in-ears. I have a DXR10 that I use for an emergency backup or for practicing at home. But the DXR10 isn't even close to being able to handle the volume or low end I want when playing live. And the more I've been practicing with my headphones and playing live with my in-ears, the more I notice the way the DXR colors the tone a bit. It's still the best that I've tried so far though.

• What did you use before the Kemper?

I've had a bunch of different setups. Marshalls, Friedmans, Mesas, etc. The setup I had just before the Kemper was a Mesa Roadster with a couple 1x12 cabs in front of me and in back of me, and a 75lb pedalboard.

It does color the sound. This isn't disputed. The DXR series is well known for adding a bit of mid-range to the original signal (which is why so many guitarists like it). So far, the DXR is the best monitor that I've used (the DXR10 is too weak for me though). But I know it's not giving me the most accurate representation of what the profiles really sound like. I can listen to a Top Jimi profile, and even if I listen to it on 3-4 different sets of high end computer/recording monitors, my triple driver Westone in-ears or my audio technica headphones, all 3 of those scenarios sound more similar to each other than when I play that same signal through the DXR10 or DXR15. I've considered buying the Atomic CLR, but I'm weary of that because SO many people told me the Yamaha DXR10 would be loud enough for gigs, and it wasn't even CLOSE to being loud enough. They say the DXR10 and CLR are somewhat similar in terms of stage volume, so that leads me to believe that if I got the CLR, it wouldn't handle the volume that I'd need.

But again, my original question still stands, which is the most true and flat sounding monitor out there (that can handle loud stage volumes)? Maybe it IS the DXR, and if so, cool. It sounds great. But it makes buying profiles difficult because they are generally vastly different through the Yamaha than through just about any other listening device I've tried.

• Take this in consideration:
    1. In-Ears and headphones are not subject to change by the environment they are used in. If you use them in a room, a hall, on a stage, they will always sound the same.
    2. Your computer- and/ or recording monitors are always in the same room, hearing distance is always (more or less) the same. Therefore the sound is always the same.
    3. DXR's (or CLR's or any wedge you like) are first of all wedges, not cabs, so they will never sound like a cab. Furthermore I don't think you use them always in the same room or stage, nore same position, nore same listening distance and angle. So they are 100% subject to change in opposit to your in-Ears and monitors.

Maybe you'll have to accept that you use your headphones and monitors for reference and use your DXR (or any other wedge) just for facilitate your guitarsound.
    Or go for a cab-like FRFR solution.

• Believe me, I understand all of that. I never said I expect the cabs or speakers to sound just like the headphones or in-ears. I asked what FRFR speaker gets the closest to that as possible while being loud enough to use on stage. Ideally, I'd like to reproduce the sounds that we hear the profiles being advertised with, but that's pretty much impossible if you're using the Kemper for live use. So I'm just trying to get the speaker that does the best job as possible.

We run different speakers for our PA systems in both of my bands, (and then different PA systems for places that have their own in-house system), so I know my rig won't sound identical from venue to venue out front. It's just a little annoying to find a profile that is supposed to sound like "x" and it sounds that way online, and in headphones, but then nothing like it through an on-stage monitor (without making a fair amount of adjustments).

• I use 2 x QSC K 12's for rehearsal and live use. They can play as loud as a 4x12 and sound very flat and transparant to me. They have plenty of thumb and low end If you want that. And you can hear all the nice KPA effects in stereo......

This way the KPA works and sounds best to me. I've also tried the KPA using a power amp into a 4x12 cab but I didn't like that at all. I don't know if the new version sounds much different.......

I really like the KPA but I am back using a Vintage Fender twin reverb. Although KPA and QSC sounds very good it began to sound remote to me. Playing the twin there was a direct connection to the sound. It is possible that the KPA sounds better FOH than the miked twin but I feel much more connected on stage.

• Maybe it's our own luxury, but everywhere we play, we always bring our own IEM-system, no matter if there's a in-house PA system. So always the same (great :) ) sound to my ears.

But I understand where you're coming from and it looks like a lot of us are strugling with this issue.

I wonder how a 4x12 FRFR would sound like......