5.3.2.13089 Public Beta Spdif optimisation?

• It's to fix some clicking issues when connecting via spdif with sound cards of a certain hardware configuration, apparently. It only affected a very small number of users, but Kemper's policy is a bit like catering for lactose-intolerant kids at a birthday party by making two cream cakes; one with real cream and one with soya ;)
    Go Kemper!

• If only optimization of SPDIF meant, the ability to use 44.1,48, 96Khz.

The higher the sample rate, the less latency through a DAW; which allows for the use of VST's and effects, while monitoring in real-time, without the latency penalty.

Yes, I am currently using XLR out of my KPA, at 96Khz, it does sound great, but if I could do SPDIF at 96Khz, I would have nothing left to add, in terms of improvements, to the KPA.

I am beyond satisfied with the KPA, it's the greatest amp I've ever owned, but add 96Khz over SPDIF, and I'll sell these door-to-door.

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• Saw this and thought ...... YES ....... finally spdif-to-spdif profiling ...... take any modeller you want that has spdif and profile it ... perfect copy .. no refining needed etc.....

Why this is not yet "do-able" is quite baffling ... uinless of course its not doable :) :(

Ben

• It's to fix some clicking issues when connecting via spdif with sound cards of a certain hardware configuration, apparently. It only affected a very small number of users, but Kemper's policy is a bit like catering for lactose-intolerant kids at a birthday party by making two cream cakes; one with real cream and one with soya ;)
    Go Kemper!

Ahahah, yes sambrox ... I'm one of the lactose-intolerant kids !!!!

Well, just to specify that the clicking issues were not present on certain HW configuration but on all the users that are using SPDIF for reamping, even if it wasn't on all the rigs.

The best news is that now it's working fine !!!!!!!!

Kemper-for-life ;)

• Well currently when I change my input from front to SPDIF for revamping, it still takes the input from the front. I'll have to update to this be a to see if it sorts that out. I don't like using Betas tho as I use my Kemper regularly live....

• That's useful but I'm not quite that daft. Spdif was connected and I was recording at the time. I recorded one track stack and another guitar only signal via spdif. I then went to reamp the , in effect, DI track but couldn't get the kemper to recognise the input.

I've reamped many times before and changed nothing in my set up.

Thx for trying to help though. I'll try the connections again though in case one did come loose - but then surely it wouldn't have recorded in the first place…

• actually the front Input has priority in all Input choice cases AFAIK.
    IMHO this is a very user friendly feature.

I'm pretty sure I've spent many minutes troubleshooting why no sound was coming out on numerous occasions - only to find out I hadn't switched back after reamping over spdif :) It may have priority over the alternate input, though.

• The sample rate of a DAW does not directly affect the minimum latency.
    It is the minimum block size that matters. At double sample rate the minimum block size is typically doubled as well, resulting in an unchanged latency.

• Thanks for the reply, CK :thumbup: .
    The overall latency in the DAW was what I was concerned with. If I use 96KHz, I get 3.96ms overall latency, when monitoring in real-time. If I use 44.1KHz, I get 13.1ms overall latency.

In my past experiences, higher latency made playing and monitoring in real-time, feel sluggish, or lagging behind what was being played; playing above 15ms latency, feels awful in headphones for me. I've always tried to get the absolute lowest latency possible, as a rule.

I was also under the impression, that 96KHz is better for effects and pitch shifting.

Is the KPA capable of 96KHz, over SPDIF, with it's current hardware?

The sample rate of a DAW does not directly affect the minimum latency.
    It is the minimum block size that matters. At double sample rate the minimum block size is typically doubled as well, resulting in an unchanged latency.

• If I use 96KHz, I get 3.96ms overall latency, when monitoring in real-time. If I use 44.1KHz, I get 13.1ms overall latency.

You use the same sample rate for both. CK explained , that usually the sample rate for the higher frequence should be higher.
    I think if you increase the sample rate for 44.1 Khz - it would also increase the latency.