Helix Native - 15 day Free Trial now available

• And between the pod hd vs helix @Dean_R I think a bigger difference is in the IRs, perhaps, not even so much (say 10 times difference!) in the amp modelling... (ok there are differences in terms of settings, control of power amp, of course, also helix fatter, more fuzzy, more lively, amp-like; but for a set of given tones, it is possible to get relatively close) which to me matters more than cabs if the devices allow for loading your own impulses. You could have a new line 6 unit be released -- or any unit for that matter -- use some bonkers-good IRs and the unit would get amazing review even if it used the same amp modelling as some very old devices. Why? Lack of proper testing... partly.. at least when the conclusions are so vague about what contributes to what (assuming it's the amp sims that are 10 times better).. then also the fact that amp modelling has been quite good for a while now.

Edited 3 times, last by Dimi84 ().

• Not that Helix isn't better than pod HD. I think it's definitely a step up.

It's just that I think IRs are underrated.

For me and future purchases focus will be on amp modelling as much as possible, where nuances matter quite a bit to me actually.

Not to derail, so I don't write more on this :)

I think it's cool to have helix as a VST. But I tested Bommel's profiles of the hardware and I think he gets as close you can get with kemper, imho.

• You don't need to do that, and I don't think you can anyway unless you have SPDIF inputs on your computer, which I don't think you can get. You go in via the 1/4 inch input on your interface and record and then you can just click and change the preset and it instantly changes the patch and the recording.

It's much, much easier than reamping.

• You don't need to do that, and I don't think you can anyway unless you have SPDIF inputs on your computer, which I don't think you can get. You go in via the 1/4 inch input on your interface and record and then you can just click and change the preset and it instantly changes the patch and the recording.

It's much, much easier than reamping.

Thanks for the reply. I meant reamping through the Kemper while applying some Helix Native FX to the DI track within the DAW. I don't have a spdif cable at the moment, so I was just wondering if it is possible to use VST FX before the Kemper amps when reamping.

Apologies if I didn't state my intentions clearly.

• Sure, that can be done, in other words you can place the HELIX VST in the FX loop of the kemper, If you're audio interface has more than two physical outputs, you can connect in the FX loop of he Kemper and use the HELIX plugin as as you would the Helix hardware in the loop of the Kemper. The routing can be done inside the DAW,

Hi, couldn't I just add an instance of the Helix Native plugin to the DI track in the DAW, and then reamp it through the Kemper as normal, thus remaining in the digital realm? My idea is to test a few Helix drive, fuzz & mod FX options in front of the Kemper amps.

PC DAW > DI guitar track > Helix VST > SPDIF > Kemper amp profile > SPDIF > PC DAW

I wish I had a SPDIF cable to try it out :)

PS I'm new at this, I've only had the Kemper a short while!

• I'm sorry I didn't carefully read what you're trying to do. I would say you really don't necessarily need SPDIF for this. All you do is insert the 1/4" output of the audio interface into the input of the Kemper.
    If you're expecting to record the Kemper back into the DAW, this would require a little extra routing inside the DAW.

The basic idea for all DAWs is to create the equivalent of an independent bus to output the Helix into Kemper. Kemper outputs need to go into a separate bus in the DAW. TO be able to do this utilizing stereo signal, you need to have roughly 4 physical outputs. In the audio interface the inputs where you plug the Kemper need to be assigned to a bus different than the one outputting the Helix to avoid feedback loops,

OK thanks. I was thinking to use SPDIF in order to keep the signal flow digital, and I don't need stereo as I'm only looking to use FX before the Kemper amps. I also add reverb and delay after the fact from within the DAW using software plugins (Soundtoys, Valhalla).

It's a new adventure for me, so I am just trying to work out what all of my creative options look like.