Input sensitivity when profiling

• When profiling I have noticed a difference in the sound going into my amp from the KPA when compared with my guitar going straight into the amp. To get the KPA sound comparable I had to reduce clean sensitivity to Zero and have dist sensitivity round about 10 o'clock on the dial. I did a DI profile and was told it was overloading Kemper so I did it again, dialing back the volume knob once profiling started. I got quite a good profile this way. I'm going to try again doing it with a mic'd up amp and cab set up when the house is empty. I have found that I've been getting some good sounds but even after refining I'm not quite getting the sound of my mic'd up amp.

I have also found that the noise of the profiling is goddam awful loud whatever volume your amp is at, and whatever amp is being used. My deluxe is louder than my vibro champ but the profiling on both of them was quite decibelacious and I had to retreat to another room (will it be profiling my shutting the door?).

Vintage amp obsessive

• Sounds like you might need some longer cables. :)

As it happens I have some pure amonyte cables for sale, only 3K per metre. I'd do you a 'mates rates' deal since you're a KPA owner, though.

5k per metre, then.

On a less frivolous note...all of my clean DI profiles are much quieter after I've profiled. The reference amp sounds fine, the LED is set just under red, the profile sounds fine but it's pretty low in level...have you found this?

• I did a DI profile and was told it was overloading Kemper so I did it again, dialing back the volume knob once profiling started

i think that you have to adjust the return level if the kpa gets overloaded not the input sense... do you mean that with "volume knob"?

the volume gets quite loud when profiling a clean amp since it has so much dynamics... the kpa tests when it goes into saturation (distortion)..this is louder when selecting "profile a distorted amp". if the channel already is distorted it won't get much louder but more saturated/compressed/distorted. i already asked if the kpa could destroy my speakers when profiling the clean channel since the profiling is much louder than when playing the guitar. if you think it is too loud you have to turn down the master volume quite a lot.

• 1. When I get the overload message I don't seem to be able to scroll back to the page where you set return level, so I use the Volume knob but have to do this once it starts profiling.

2. Master volume has no effect on the loudness of the test signals.

3. You can tame the loudness of the test signals by putting them through an attenuator. I just did that and got quite a good profile. I also did my refining by plugging straight into the amp rather than going through KPA.

Vintage amp obsessive

• 1. When I get the overload message I don't seem to be able to scroll back to the page where you set return level, so I use the Volume knob but have to do this once it starts profiling.

?( it should go back to the page with the return level... i think it did so on firmware 6911... but i'm not sure... just go into browse and back into profile mode again...

• I also did my refining by plugging straight into the amp rather than going through KPA.

...then you didn't do any refining, actually. the refining compares and match the Kemper to the real amp, if you skip the Kemper it doesn't have any comparison....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• But won't the Kemper be comparing based on what is coming into it from my mic preamp?

Anyway, I'll give it another shot and refine with guitar plugged into Kemper and see how the profile varies.

Vintage amp obsessive

• But won't the Kemper be comparing based on what is coming into it from my mic preamp?

Anyway, I'll give it another shot and refine with guitar plugged into Kemper and see how the profile varies.

Yes, comparing the signal of the guitar THROUGH the profile to the one coming from the amp (irrelevant whether you're using a mic preamp or not). If you plug the guitar direct in to the amp then is missing the signal through the profile....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yes, I understand now. I did another profile and this was quite interesting in that it showed up the difference between an unrefined and a refined profile. One thing I had to remember is to reset the attenuator for the refining process so that it wasn't attenuating the output signal from KPA any longer. This round of profiling also shows that the distorted output profile that could happen when altering the return levels has been cured.

Vintage amp obsessive