Restoring a backup

• Hi everyone, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but ... I wanted to manage my effects (so many delays ...) so I created a backup on an USB stick, unzziped & opened it on my pc, did my job on my PC, renamed / deleted unwanted presets, then zipped it again , renamed the zip file .kpabackup, plugged it in the KPA, external storage > restore ... The KPA restored, then restarted and when I was back on the browser screen I could not find any trace of the changes I had done in the stomps or effects section. Any idea ? Thank you

• Hi everyone, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but ... I wanted to manage my effects (so many delays ...) so I created a backup on an USB stick, unzziped & opened it on my pc, did my job on my PC, renamed / deleted unwanted presets, then zipped it again , renamed the zip file .kpabackup, plugged it in the KPA, external storage > restore ... The KPA restored, then restarted and when I was back on the browser screen I could not find any trace of the changes I had done in the stomps or effects section. Any idea ? Thank you

Pat,

The KPA does not recognize a compressed (.zip) file. Your process is correct, except for the final part in which you re-zipped (compressed) the file back up again. Put the edited, uncompressed .kpabackup file on your root directory of your USB Flash drive, and try once again.

Cheers,
    John

Edit -- woops, I was thinking of the firmware procedure (Kaos.bin). My above instructions/advice may not apply to the .kpabackup file. In other words, the KPA should recognize the archived (compressed) .kpabackup file just fine. Please disregard the above.

Edited once, last by Tritium ().

• When you create a Preset it's given name is used to create a file name for it. But if you change the file name later, that has no impact on the Preset Name. You can only delete Presets in a backup, not rename those. The same applies to Rigs.

If you want to change the name of a Preset, you need to load the old one, store it under another name, and finally delete the old version.

• Hmm... I was told not to "encourage" anyone to "tamper" with the .kpabackup file by a mod right here only a few months ago.

Hi Nicky,

Yeah, you can get in trouble if you start renaming files. However, if your are looking to simply delete presets (or rigs), then there should be no issues. However that is assuming one knows how to work with an archiving application such as 7-Zip. By the way, at least with the 7-Zip app I have for my Windows 7-based PC, I don't need to mess around with changing the .kpabackup file to a .tar extension. I can do everything right within 7-Zip.

Nevertheless, I take your point, Nicky. If this is discouraged by the KPA support team, than the user would do well to heed their advice.

Cheers,
    John

• I only ever recommended the procedure to folks who had large numbers of cabinets they wanted to delete and were seeking a quicker solution than the one-by-one, front-panel option.

Further to this, I only started doing it once I had confirmed that esteemed posters, including the most-prolific one on the board, had done this already.

Nevertheless, I've since relayed the warning not to "tamper" with the file every time the subject's been brought up, as the last word from a mod on the matter was unambiguous in its intent.

Cheers John; hope you're OK mate. ;)