How to achieve that rhythm guitar sound?

• I really like the rhythm guitar sound in this clip (especially the palm muted parts at the start and @1:36).

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Any ideas how to get that sound? (I wish I could hear the isolated guitars only :) )

• Is this what you're after?

I've tweaked an Engl E670 SE amp profile by Tony McKenzie from the rig Exchange so there should be no problems importing it (see zip attachment).

To get the sound you're after just use any good quality high-gain amp profile and a guitar with humbuckers. Personally, I mainly use The Amp Factory and Michael Britt profiles, they're excellent, the tricky bit is setting it up correctly so it sounds okay. As for isolating the guitar part, try getting hold of the master tapes 8o I'm joking of course, the best and the only software I've found that has that functionality is Riffstation (https://play.riffstation.com), I use the desktop version. Fender have just bought it so expect the price to go up! It's quite good but it's a bit limited in what it does, but I quite like it. It does come in handy and it has some good tools available, the tempo and pitch functions are great; I hope Fender can improve it.

I isolated the guitar part using Riffstation and then I tweaked it in Audacity, there's a short 20 second clip (1:34 to 1:54) in the zip. It's not that great in my opinion, Riffstation does its best but sometimes there's too much going on and you get phasing and artefacts, see what you think.

As for the profile, use a guitar with humbuckers and select the bridge pickup. You might have to tweak the sound to suit your guitar. I would recommend you read up on the KPA amp setting section, it can change the tone a lot without even touching the EQ. There are three distortions in the stomp section which can change the tone but you don't really need them. You also don't need a compression stomp as it will spoil the sound, distortion comes with its own natural compression. I only use compression on clean and crunch sounds; I use the one in the amp section as it makes a big difference and you get some great sounds from it, especially on clean sounds.

NOTE: Before I got Riffstation, I used AIMP (http://www.aimp.ru) for learning guitar parts. It free and the DSP manager has tempo, speed and pitch functions, but Riffstation does things a lot better.

Hope it helps.

• Thanks for the detailed information!

I've been trying to EQ match guitar sounds with Izotope Ozone 7 (when profiling a rig). Sometimes it works very well.
    I wish there was EQ matching feature in Kemper itself. Then it would possible to "render" the Kemper EQ's (studio EQ, metal EQ etc.) to a profile. Maybe it would work, I really don't know :D

• Yeah it sounds like it's quadtracked. If you're going to mix the guitars too it's better to have a little more mids than you think.You can always scoop out some mids if it gets too much.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau