Background noise while reamping .

• does anyone else get system noise while using the rear analogue input for reamping.
    It's like amp hiss or mixing desk noise?
    If I use the front input with a reamp box it's silent but switching to the rear input and I get noise on both the trs input and xlr.
    All levels seem to be good but I could well be missing something.
    Been using tube amps for nearly 40 years and must say the Kemper is a great amp ,haven't tried it live but in the studio it's fantastic.
    Nice.

• I'll bump this because I'm having this issue as well. C. Kemper has noted that the noise floor is something to keep an eye on while reamping. I tried spdif at first, I had to get two Toslink/RCA converters, one A/D and one D/A. since my interface is optical. I had a lot of trouble even getting this to work, it would, then wouldn't, and I could never get it right. Plus, I really didn't like the idea that I had bought the Babyface in part because of it's excellent A/D/A converters, and then I was just putting it through cheap crappy ones. So I switched to analogue, got it working very quickly, seems great, but there is a bit of noise. I don't think I hear it when the guitar is playing, but it's there, especially as the gain comes up. It's not a huge deal, I can take care of it in my DAW I'm sure, but it'd be nice to not have. That's interesting that a reamp box works well for you, I may just have to do that.

Edit...wait...are the Kemper spdif connections digital? I thought I read they were, but It seems like I had to use regular RCA cables to hook it up.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

Edited once, last by Locrain ().

• I'll bump this because I'm having this issue as well. C. Kemper has noted that the noise floor is something to keep an eye on while reamping. I tried spdif at first, I had to get two Toslink/RCA converters, one A/D and one D/A. since my interface is optical. I had a lot of trouble even getting this to work, it would, then wouldn't, and I could never get it right. Plus, I really didn't like the idea that I had bought the Babyface in part because of it's excellent A/D/A converters, and then I was just putting it through cheap crappy ones. So I switched to analogue, got it working very quickly, seems great, but there is a bit of noise. I don't think I hear it when the guitar is playing, but it's there, especially as the gain comes up. It's not a huge deal, I can take care of it in my DAW I'm sure, but it'd be nice to not have. That's interesting that a reamp box works well for you, I may just have to do that.

Edit...wait...are the Kemper spdif connections digital? I thought I read they were, but It seems like I had to use regular RCA cables to hook it up.

Don't use regular RCA cables for SPDIF. You need to use digital coaxial cables. Even cheap ones will do.

• I ordered some from monoprice, but they wouldn't fit. I used some cables I had lying around, and was able to set my interface as slave to the kemper, and get it to work a little, but still had problems. I guess I should make sure I have proper cables and try it again since there's less a/d/a conversion than reaping with an analogue output.

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.

• Don't use regular RCA cables for SPDIF. You need to use digital coaxial cables. Even cheap ones will do.

The OP didn't state the approximate length they'd need to be, AJ, but IMHO regular RCA cables should be fine for short runs of a few feet or less.

• The OP didn't state the approximate length they'd need to be, AJ, but IMHO regular RCA cables should be fine for short runs of a few feet or less.

So this definitely confuses me, and stupid question ahead: But regular RCA cables, were used in the past for analog signal..right? I mean, my old VCR didn't have digital connections, did it? So can a cable carry both analog and digital signals, or what am I missing? :D

• Yes, those old RCA's we used for our home stereos do the job for short runs. I used hacked-up leftovers from the '70s to hook up a Yamaha O2R console bidirectionally many moons ago and it operated flawlessly. It was actually around a metre and a half in each direction, which was IMHO cutting it fine, which is why I suggested no more than a few feet.

So can a cable carry both analog and digital signals, or what am I missing?

Of course it can, mate; just not typically at the same time. Examples are too-numerous to mention, but USB, HDMI, your CPU's (copper wiring)... it's everywhere except for where the 1's and 0's are converted for optical transmission. In the case of analogue transmission of digital, think of the two possible values (1 and 0) as being represented by two voltages or energy levels, IOW, pulsing...

• Yes, those old RCA's we used for our home stereos do the job for short runs. I used hacked-up leftovers from the '70s to hook up a Yamaha O2R console bidirectionally many moons ago and it operated flawlessly. It was actually around a metre and a half in each direction, which was IMHO cutting it fine, which is why I suggested no more than a few feet.

Of course it can, mate; just not typically at the same time. Examples are too-numerous to mention, but USB, HDMI, your CPU's (copper wiring)... it's everywhere except for where the 1's and 0's are converted for optical transmission. In the case of analogue transmission of digital, think of the two possible values (1 and 0) as being represented by two voltages or energy levels, IOW, pulsing...

Learn something new every day...thanks for the explanation!