Backup/Restore incl. OS for rented/shared KPA Gigs

• I have been to several festivals this summer and the KPA seems to gain popularity more than ever. Traveling to gigs by plane is great if you only have to take your KPA with you. But wouldn´t it be even cooler to only take an USB stick with you? However i see problems when using your own backups on rented or shared KPAs if the firmware of the KPA does not match the firmware version that your rigs were created with.

Maybe an additional backup/restore function that would include and deploy each and every aspect of your own KPA to other KPAs could provide some extra comfort here. Maybe this method could be temporary only so that after finishing your gig the previous state including OS+Rigs could be restored while leaving no traces of you on that KPA.

• Indeed a sensefull request for travellers.
    I think it's possible to place your OS-Version on the stick and make a backup of the content before you load your profiles, but it is not possible to recall the original version after the gig.

It has to be clarified before which version is original. A second stick with (I think) version 3,3 (and mabe 1.8) could be sensefull
    I think the risc will not be so high, if you use public versions.

Anyway I think the Kemper is maybe the only digital gear, where you can solve this with some sticks.

• There is of course the question as to whether or not there'd be enough memory space on the machine to be able to accommodate the existing OS' being stored temporarily whilst you do your thing.

If the rental machine, for example, had a full compliment of Rigs stored on it already, I doubt there'd be sufficient flash space left, unless the hardware still had more than double the room needed for a single OS reserved for the firmware. This could well be the case if the designers anticipated the OS' size blowing out to double what it is currently at some point, but my guess is that it's not-likely.

• I was thinking about a procedure like this:
    1. backup the recent OS+RIGs+Settings to the the USB stick
    2. erase all rigs from the KPA
    3. Restore the rigs from your own backup
    4. Import the OS from your backup, this will also force the KPA to check your rigs

5. Play your gig

6. Revert your changes by restoring the backup taken in step 1.

Of course it would be better to have the backups inside the internal memory but i doubt that this will be possible.

• There is of course the question as to whether or not there'd be enough memory space on the machine to be able to accommodate the existing OS' being stored temporarily whilst you do your thing.

Do not really understand why the memory space is important.
    As far I know the memory size of KPA did not change since it is on the market .
    If you restore a KPA backup - all will be owerwritten.
    If you install a new OS I think it will be stored in another region than the profile datas.

The only concern I share with Till is that not all OS versions can be overwritten with a new version.

• Oh, I agree, Harry. Thank you for pulling me up on this, matey.

I thought Till was asking for the KPA to be able to revert upon command to its previous state. After re-reading the first post, I see he was only asking for a full-state (including the OS) backup to USB stick to be made possible.

So yeah, if this were possible, as long as there's time on stage for it, one could back up the rental machine, restore one's own KPA state, then restore the original-rental state.

Excellent request IMHO. A feature like this could help open up the KPA-rental market!