Uno4Kemper HELP

• Hi there,

I know this is probably a common topic, however I can't seem to find a solution after searching the forum for a while!

Ive installed the Uno4Kemper chip and powered up both the Kemper Unit and the FCB1010, however I'm not seeing the message on the Kemper recognising the pedal board, however when pushing some of the pedals certain changes or symbols appear, so I know its connected and working in some capacity. I'm looking at trying to switch between sounds on performance mode and being able to simply navigate up and down between the performances, however its so random what changes happen whenever I try and select anything using the pedal board.

Ive tried calibrating the FCB1010 and looking at the midi settings on the kemper, but I can't for the life of me think what the issue is. Im slightly disappointed as I thought the chip was supposed to be pretty straight forward! Any advice would be much appreciated!

• How did you connect the board to the Kemper?
    2 Midi cables?
    Did your board work ok some time?
    Or did you install the chip and after that there were the mistakes?
    What version of the chip did you install?

• How did you connect the board to the Kemper?
    2 Midi cables?

- yeah two midi cables, FCB out to KPA in, KPA out to FCB in

Did your board work ok some time?
    Or did you install the chip and after that there were the mistakes?

Just installed the chip following all manuals/tutorials online, calibrated the pedals, when its turned on the message 'UNO4Kemper' doesn't appear on the KPA unit, but I know its connected as on the FCB it has '00' on the pedal board.

What version of the chip did you install?

its 1.4

• I suggest that the chip is not set in correct.
    Could you please check that?

• no change, I appreciate your help so far though!

I took the chip out, re inserted it, still the odd behaviour. I had some luck for a minute when I force started the pedal into performance mode and it worked as it should, however it was still not showing as connected on the KPA unit and then began behaving unpredictably.

:(

• Extended memory is initialized as follows:
    Switch off the board, and keep the 1 and 9 keys pressed while switching it on again.
    Keep the 2 switches pressed until the display turns black. After releasing the 2 switches,
    a countdown from 9 to 0 starts. After that, the board is ready to use.

• There seems to be some incorrect information here. There is no such thing as "reflushing the ram" (?) or other initialization - this is probably taken from the UnO manual which has nothing to do with UnO4Kemper.
    The UnO4Kemper manual is here , the available key combinations at startup are described here .

The best way to test the FCB1010/Profiler integration is starting up the FCB1010 without cables connected, and check that the display shows "--" and not "00". This way you are sure you have the UnO4Kemper firmware installed.
    Next it's easiest to put the Profiler in performance mode and select any performance, not the first one. Then connect both MIDI cables. If the FCB1010 display now shows the current performance number you are sure there is 2-way communication. If not, there is an issue at any point in the MIDI chain. So far I have never heard of any defect or malfunctioning in the Kemper part of the MIDI chain, so if you are 100% certain about both MIDI cables, the issue must be inside the FCB1010 (unfortunately every now and then I notice a report of bad solder joints inside an FCB1010). Most of the time such issue in the MIDI IN part, because the MIDI OUT path is an essential part of the footcontroller and any issue there is noticed right after purchase. This is not the case with the MIDI IN path.

• Try removing it, turn it 180 and then insert and see what you get.

Only if you like fried chips.
    Sorry to disagree Barry, but this is bad advice.
    Perhaps the EPROM will survive, perhaps not, but this should NEVER be a trouble-shooting tip unless you know for sure that it is already in the wrong way. Then you really have nothing to lose.

• There seems to be some incorrect information here. There is no such thing as "reflushing the ram" (?) or other initialization - this is probably taken from the UnO manual which has nothing to do with UnO4Kemper.
    The UnO4Kemper manual is here , the available key combinations at startup are described here .

The best way to test the FCB1010/Profiler integration is starting up the FCB1010 without cables connected, and check that the display shows "--" and not "00". This way you are sure you have the UnO4Kemper firmware installed.
    Next it's easiest to put the Profiler in performance mode and select any performance, not the first one. Then connect both MIDI cables. If the FCB1010 display now shows the current performance number you are sure there is 2-way communication. If not, there is an issue at any point in the MIDI chain. So far I have never heard of any defect or malfunctioning in the Kemper part of the MIDI chain, so if you are 100% certain about both MIDI cables, the issue must be inside the FCB1010 (unfortunately every now and then I notice a report of bad solder joints inside an FCB1010). Most of the time such issue in the MIDI IN part, because the MIDI OUT path is an essential part of the footcontroller and any issue there is noticed right after purchase. This is not the case with the MIDI IN path.

I've just tried this and still no luck, I'm starting to think it must be the pedal board itself so I'm going to have to try it on another board and see if that makes any difference I guess!

• Only if you like fried chips.Sorry to disagree Barry, but this is bad advice.
    Perhaps the EPROM will survive, perhaps not, but this should NEVER be a trouble-shooting tip unless you know for sure that it is already in the wrong way. Then you really have nothing to lose.

i'm sorry to disagree with you but you're not correct. If you look at their own literature, they cover this under troubleshooting. Putting the eprom back for the opposite way has zero negative impact on it, I've done it several times by accident, when going between various manufacturers EPROMs that I have for my foot controller. Most people having a problem, put the EPROM in backwards.

• Fair enough in this case, but I stand by what I said.
    Depending on circuit topology and the device, reversing many chips, including some EPROMS can put reverse voltage on it. Some can handle it and survive but others won't.
    As a rule, blindly reversing a chip is asking for trouble.

I've done this several times by mistake over my 40 year career and lost!

• As a rule, blindly reversing a chip is asking for trouble

Agreed. Moreover, the OP states that "I know its connected and working in some capacity". Having the unit partly working with the firmware chip reversed would be... kind of magic!
    Trying another FCB1010 is indeed a good idea.