Refining process is destroying my profiles

• Hi there,

Kind of strange.

I'm profiling a Fender clone. All my gain structures are fine, the profile sounds about right post profiling but as I play and refine it disintegrates into a nasty muddy mess and that's what gets saved if I save it.

The clean profiles seem to function OK, it's just showing up during crunh/distortion profiling

Any ideas?

I'm on the latest beta OS.

Cheers,

Andy.

• Hi Paul, I am storing pre refined profiles but I feel cheated! :)

And for sure this shouldn't be happening but I can't see where I'm getting it wrong.

And so to the fix all, switch everything off and on again and reconfigure my gain structures.

More later...

(unless it's far too embarrassing in which case I will delete the internet not just my account)

• At times that's what happens -- refining makes things worse.

• Refining will try to bring the frequency response closer to the source, but it's dependent on a wide range of sounds going in. If you only play a few chugging chords then it will only refine the bottom end and may result in nasty stuff up high, if you only play twiddly high notes through a spanky guitar it'll leave the low end being messed up.

It's also worth noting that the short 5 seconds of refining that Kemper showed in their videos is not realistic 99% of the time. You will need to refine for much longer to get a really accurate profile.

Finally did you compare by recording a re-amped signal through both (this can be done before you save the profile with the A/B switching)? If not you should, also if your amp is in the same room as your monitors then don't forget to mute the monitors while profiling and refining (the sound will come through all outputs of the Kemper) otherwise your mic will pick that stuff up too and you'll get phase/comb filtering issues.

Of course as others have also said, if it already sounds good without refining, then don't refine. It's only meant to help when things aren't accurate, but the Kemper profiling algorithm has improved over time so it's less and less needed these days. Best of luck!

• Yeah, I refine alright, lots of chords and widdles, lots of dynamics, and since it was disintegrating I just kept going. It got worse and worse.

The good news is I probably don't have to inconvenience you folks by erasing the internet since I rebooted, redid gains and it seems to be OK now so I'm blaming Mrs. Gremlin from next door.

• It seems to me that your Fender clone has some multiple gain stages which Kemper can't reproduce well. How much gain did you use?

It's a Headstrong Princeton clone, and very lovely it is indeed, but only one volume control and that's it! Any gain stage issues will be at the mic pre/Kemper return and although The Kemper will alert me as to too low or too high a return level I'd much prefer a meter I can read.

My levels are lower now but I can't quite get my head around that being the issue if the pre refined profile sounds pretty much as it should.

It's still Mrs. Gremlin, her doctors have her on some pretty robust drugs but I suspect she mixes them with her son's MDMA for added fun. Her dancing isn't what it once was.

• When you profile are you doing it as a distorted amp or a clean amp? I've had different results with each.

Clean sound with the clean algorithm, distorted for all the rest. I've tried using the clean for crunch sounds but it defaults to distorted algo as intended.

I'm back to some truly terrible post refined profiles today. My toaster may be toast.