Unpowered KPA - DXR 10 or DXR 12?

• The DXR10 is not nearly loud enough. It's only a 10" speaker after all. Spend the little extra and get the 12. That way you'll have extra headroom as opposed to not enough. I have the 10 and it's really only good enough for bedroom levels or LOW volume gigs that have a PA. The DXR15 is awesome and I prefer that of the three, but it's also 50lbs.

Please, explain!!

DXR10: 1100 watt, 131 db SPL, 56 Hz - 20 kHz
    DXR12: 1100 watt, 132 db SPL, 52 Hz - 20 kHz

You really think these values make the difference between "is not nearly loud enough" and "extra headroom"?

Edited once, last by DML ().

• 130+ dB SPL is louder than a plane during take off. That is quite a bit of sound pressure.

Mötörhead concerts had reported sound pressure levels of around 120 dB and that is quite a bit.

According to our sound techie you are not allowed to run these levels unless you put up warning signs for the audience.

I think the speaker should be loud enough for my purposes.

Bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• Please, explain!!
    DXR10: 1100 watt, 131 db SPL, 56 Hz - 20 kHz
    DXR12: 1100 watt, 132 db SPL, 52 Hz - 20 kHz

You really think these values make the difference between "is not nearly loud enough" and "extra headroom"?

You're not looking at it correctly if you're just looking at specs like dB. Yes, they are basically the same in terms of loudness if you're playing a single note with barely any low end. But if you're playing a lot of heavy chunking, or palm muting, I can GUARANTEE you that the DXR10's speaker can't handle the same low end at volumes as high as the DXR15. I've owned both, so I can say this with experience. And it's common sense too. A 10" speaker is not going to be able to handle the same workload at high volumes that a 15" speaker can. If it could, there would be no point in even making a 12" or 15" model. Specs don't always tell the full story.

• Loudness or dB doesn't mean the speaker can handle whatever you feed it at those volumes. See my post above. The DXR10 may be loud enough for your purposes. But I know that it felt like a loud car stereo to me. Again, we're talking about a 10" speaker here. It may be able to get "loud", but it won't have much "umph" at loud levels because a 10" speaker can't produce the same full low sounds as well as a larger speaker can. Again, it may very well be enough for what you need. But I found that the DXR10 sounds loud when playing by yourself or in a band that plays at low levels. But the second I brought it to our band practice, it sounded like a loud car stereo that couldn't keep up and the speaker would flab out whenever I did any kind of palm muting. I posted a video on this forum showing it quite a while ago. I then got the DXR15 and that thing could handle anything I threw at it, from club gigs to outdoor festivals.

• This is by far the funniest statement I've read in a while. :D

Well, you and I clearly play in different types of situations then. The venues I play, the DXR10 can't cut it. Maybe I'm just playing bigger venues with louder stage volumes. We've put our drummer behind plexiglass recently and our bassist has reduced his rig to just an 8x10 cabinet. But even with those things happening, the 10" speaker can't handle palm muting at the volumes I play at without sounding like the speaker is going to fart out.

• I have a dxr 8 and love it. I at one time had a dxr15 with an atomic amplifire and didn't like the 15. Then I had some alto ts212 and they seemed boomy. I would go dxr 8 or 10 and I play allot of high gain

• . And it's common sense too. A 10" speaker is not going to be able to handle the same workload at high volumes that a 15" speaker can. If it could, there would be no point in even making a 12" or 15" model. Specs don't always tell the full story.

That's why your bassplayer uses an 8x10?

• Well, you and I clearly play in different types of situations then. The venues I play, the DXR10 can't cut it. Maybe I'm just playing bigger venues with louder stage volumes. We've put our drummer behind plexiglass recently and our bassist has reduced his rig to just an 8x10 cabinet. But even with those things happening, the 10" speaker can't handle palm muting at the volumes I play at without sounding like the speaker is going to fart out.

Seriously, this sounds more like a broken DXR 10.

• I've been seriously looking at the DXR10, but the talk of not having that grunty/palm muting chunky thing has me concerned a bit.
    As a rhythm player in a rock band I want and need that. Usually we play smaller venues such as 100 - 150 people.
    Seems most people are fine with the DXR10 though.

• ... the talk of not having that grunty/palm muting chunky thing has me concerned a bit.

If you set the DXR10 to FOH/MAIN mode and keep the HPF off, then certainly at some point it will hit the limiter and start sounding flubby. But this happens in the most extreme setting and with the amp insanely cranked.
    Seriously, this speaker will amaze you. I've yet to meet someone who's not completely shocked and blown away by what this smallish speaker is capable of. Actually the people I showed this damn little monster didn't get excited at all ... until I turned it on and just pushed the volume to about -8dB ... and the volume knob goes til +10dB theoretically.

• That's why your bassplayer uses an 8x10?

You understand there is a difference between 8x10 vs 1x10, right? If this discussion were about whether or not TEN Yamaha DXR10s running at the same time were loud enough for me, then you might have a point.

Have you actually used both the DXR10 and 15 in live situations for comparisons? I have. I own both and like both, for different situations. So I think I have enough experience with both to comment on this. See my profile picture? I can tell you right now that the DXR10 would not have been able to perform as well as the 15 did in that environment. In small clubs, maybe yes. But I still stand by my original comment. If I had to choose between one, I'd spend the little extra money and know that my speaker can play ANY venue I want, and just turn down a little if I'm playing at smaller places, rather than find out that my DXR10 isn't loud enough for some places.

• Seriously, this sounds more like a broken DXR 10.

That's what I originally thought too. I remember when I first joined the forum you and some others helped me out with this same issue. I ended up bringing the DXR10 back because I thought there was something wrong with it. But the same thing happened with my 2nd brand new one (which I've kept - because it DOES sound really good at the lower levels to me). I do like both versions of the DXR that I have; just for different situations.

• And I should clarify. I don't LITERALLY mean bedroom levels. Obviously the DXR can handle more than that. I said bedroom levels kind of tongue in cheek meaning I think it's fine for small club gigs. But in my opinion, it lacks any balls or fullness when it's asked to play larger venues at high volumes.

And what we all consider "loud" is very subjective. I like to feel the volume shaking me (like a 4x12 cab). That's my baseline.

• And what we all consider "loud" is very subjective. I like to feel the volume shaking me (like a 4x12 cab). That's my baseline.

...and there you have the reason, I think. A PA speaker on a stand, aiming at your head, or on the floor aiming at your head is a different thing than a straight cab aiming at the back of your knees. :)

The trouser-flapping feeling is an awesome feeling. But I have never had an issue not being *heard* using the DXR10. Even with a loud drummer, a second guitarist with a Marshall 1960 and a bass player with a earthquake-inducing rig. And in a lousy room! That's my experience. :D

• ...and there you have the reason, I think. A PA speaker on a stand, aiming at your head, or on the floor aiming at your head is a different thing than a straight cab aiming at the back of your knees. :)

The trouser-flapping feeling is an awesome feeling. But I have never had an issue not being *heard* using the DXR10. Even with a loud drummer, a second guitarist with a Marshall 1960 and a bass player with a earthquake-inducing rig. And in a lousy room! That's my experience. :D

I agree. I know the DXR10 can be heard. I'm saying that it simply can provide the full sound at high volumes that the larger speakers in the DXR series can handle. The speaker will fart out at such high volume levels. That's natural for a 10" speaker. I'm not saying it's a bad product (again, I own both and like both). The 10" simply has limitations. That's why they make the other larger speaker options. Because the 10" can't do what they can do.

I'm the end it's really all subjective. They're both good speakers.

• By the way, if anyone has a DXR12 or DXR15 and would like to trade for a near mint condition DXR10, please let me know. I have a DXR10 that is in near mint condition minus a couple very light surface marks. Comes with all original packaging and will be shipped in the original Yamaha box. As I've said in this thread, I never use it because it's just not enough for me.