Please consider making the Kemper Profiler software accessible to blind musicians

• HI all, Please allow me to introduce myself – I’m a completely blind guitar player from the UK, late 20s, country, blues and some rock when the mood strikes. I have long been interested in the Kemper for one simple reason – it solves about 100 problems for me as a blind guitar player. At a stroke, it would reduce the amount I have to carry) and you try carrying an amp, pedalboard and guitars on a train), it would mean I don’t have to think as much about cab placement on a stage, it would let me record more easily and it would do all this whilst sounding amazing. Unfortunately, I cannot use it, because I cannot see it.I recognise that the front panels of equipment like this need to have screens and be quite in-depth for those who need to change things on-the-fly. Realistically, there’s nothing that can be done about that and that’s great. But the software is another matter. I use a screen reader to access the computer, and the Kemper software is completely inaccessible to it. I know that audio software can be made accessible – Protools is accessible, as is Reaper. But none of the guitar modellers have tried to build accessibility into their applications. It is not difficult to code with accessibility in mind. Alternatively, there are talented blind programmers who, if given access to the API that talks to the hardware, can build an accessible interface. But Line6, Bias, AxFX, Blackstar and Boss have refused, point blank, to even consider accessibility in their products. I understand why access is just an afterthought for most companies, since the market is small and we’re not really a demographic that companies would readily target. But ironically, we would benefit even more than many sighted guitarists who just use the Kemper for convenience. For us, it can be the difference between having a touring rig that sounds professional, or relying on whatever we can fit onto our backs and into our free hands. my message to Kemper is simple, please, please consider making your applications accessible to blind musicians. There are more of us out here than you think, and we desperately need something like this.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

• Agreed! I have my cane in one hand, my guitar on my back, and need one portable box that does just about everything else in my rig. The Kemper would be perfect! Not only that, it operates more like a traditional head, in terms of front pannel controls, than say, the Axe-FX.

Speaking of Fractal Audio, they have done absolutely nothing to make their editor application accessible to the kind of screen reader software that blind folks use to access their computer. This is strange, since in all other aspects, they seem extremely open to implementing user requests in their products.

Guitarists who are blind have no choices open to them among the current top-tier modellers - Helix, Kemper, etc. Other such devices have problematic interfaces, such as the touchscreen on the Headrush.

The last amp modeeler/multi-effects device I could access was the Vox Tonelab LE. With it connected to my computer, I could adjust knobs and parameters on the hardware, and my screen reader software would be speaking those changes as displayed in the software editor. I could save and load presets, everything!

Before that, I could accomplish a similar degree of access with a Line 6 POD xtLive, and the Line 6 Gear Box application. Both of those cases were many years ago now, and there really hasn't been anything as workable since.

Questions for Kemper HQ:
    What tools are you using to develop your PC/Mac software application? Perhaps a newer version of these development tools contains some accessibility support which you could implement?

Alternatively, an entrprising couple of guys have written a handy utility that reads and writes OSC (Open Sound Control) protocol data. So far, this is Windows only, and they have only implemented OSC commands for RME's products. But, I now know that if I were to buy an RME audio interface, I can now independently configure it to my liking. It's now 100% accessible.

So, if modifying your existing application doesn't work, perhaps you could give the Kemper Profiler OSC support,
    and let the right people have access to the commands. Those could be added to the editor application we have developed already.

If the developer is interested in playing with a screenreader, NVDA is the free, open source screenreader for Windows, available from:
    https://www.nvaccess.org

On the Mac, you have a screenreader built into the OS. It's called Voiceover, and you launch it with CMD+F5.

• I have total understanding for this wish. :!:
    As there is even no editor I am afraid that it will take a long time to realize.
    Maybe it would help if there is an interface between kemper and remote do read out the situation on the Remote.
    Perhaps with the midi commands which are sent from the remote it could identified what are the changes from a determind start situation.

Of course edit a rig would not be possible alone but I can imangine that a live performance could be managed with a device like a brailledisplay.

I hope there will be a solution which can be established.

• Given that the configuration is all on the device, would it be feasible to use braille labels for the knobs? I realise the main context sensitive buttons wouldn't be able to do this, but might be enough control if you had a hand getting it configured. I'd definitely be willing to help, by configuring some rigs that work.

• I do very little that is of bugger all worth in life...I'd be willing to contribute to paying someone to code this for the man.

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Hey Matt. Nice, to see you posting here. Phil Muir here.

I am a totally blind Kemper user with a bit of a developer background. I recently purchased a Kemper Stage because I wanted to use one. I did this knowing that I may not be able to use the device. However, I have a couple of friends in the Netherlands who told me that they would be happy to remote in and assist me with programming up some performances etc. When one of my friends remoted in and clicked on menus, my screen reading software, Jaws spoke. I now have a Hotspot Clicker HSC set that I can use for this and an NVDA Golden Cursor add-on which also works quite well. I suppose I could program up something using Auto Hotkey but that looks like to much hard work for me although I do have a friend who is also looking to purchase a Kemper who has offered to program up something if necessary, using AHK.

I am certain that some enterprising soul could program up access on the Mac using Keyboard Maestro and the accessibility experience would be similar.

I was informed incorrectly by other blind users that the Kemper is not accessible. I am happy to report that they are wrong. Through the use of Rig Manager on Windows and the Kemper I now have full control and am able to edit pretty much anything that I wish although I have to say that the WIFI on the stage is still a bit of a mystery to me. Would be nice if that could somehow be passed into Rig manager then I could edit all of the settings there. I have been involved in conducting testing in various music technology products for 20 years most recently working with Ableton on making Ableton Live accessible. I shall probably start a separate thread on current Kemper accessibility. Suffice to say that we are now in a pretty goo place with this although Kemper could add some more keyboard support which would definitely help. Would be happy to sign an NDA with Kemper if that would help. Would also be happy to jump on a call with someone from Kemper demonstrating the current accessibility of Rig Manager. Shall make videos on this soon. For now, just enjoying playing my newly created Kemper performances.

BTW, feel free to get in touch if any of you need a hand with this or if you would like the NVDA add-on or HSC set.

• The Rig Manager application is written in Juice. This should mean that it should be possible to achieve comparable cross platform access on Mac and Windows.

Welcome to the Family :) And lets hope something gets done to help you

• Hi all.

Sorry for the long message but, this is worth a read. Thought I would start a thread on current accessibility for screen reader users using Rig Manager on Windows and Mac. Not covering Android as there currently is no accessible API for Juice on that platform that I am aware of. I would look at IOS but as yet have not figured out how to connect my Kemper Stage to WIFI. Did try the router pin thing but that didn’t work. Would be nice if I could add all of the WIFI info in Rig manager on Mac or Windows.

The following was tested on a screen resolution of:

1920 × 1080

Accessibility observations on Windows:

The Rig Manager application is written in Juice. This should mean that it should be possible to achieve comparable cross platform access on Mac and Windows. There is some keyboard support for Rig Manager. However, ideally would also have some more keyboard shortcuts E.G. Store performance in profiler, Control Shift S, Store performance in Local Library, Control Shift L, Control Shift P for the presets button. Perhaps Control Shift 1 through 5 to move to different slots or possibly put the slots and other things such as sliders into tab orders. However, I appreciate that tab orders would take more time to program up so perhaps initially working on adding additional keyboard support for slots, moving the Window the pre-sets button etc would be the main priority as well as keyboard support to access page up and down such as the page up and down keys which would move the Window up or down. Page up and down can be accessed by right clicking the Window at the following screen coordinates:

1906 407.

This would mean that third party developers such as myself and others would not have to implement keyboard shortcuts such as this through scripting which would improve keyboard support for all.

Issues Reading Mac Keyboard support in the Manual with Windows Screen Reading Software

I am assuming that the Command key is used on the Mac instead of the Control key which brings me to another issue. When reading the manual, all of the Mac keyboard support does not read correctly when using screen reader software on Windows. No idea why but obviously this needs addressing and it may well be the case the Mac keyboard support doesn't read correctly with the Mac screen reader, Voiceover either.

Known issues with Windows screen readers.

For some reason, the JAWS screen reader is not focused on performance or rigs when Rig Manager is opened. Clicking on "performances" or, "rigs" with the JAWS cursor rectifies this issue.

NVDA and Narrator screen readers are correctly focused in Rig Manager. In the case of NVDA and Narrator, pressing the tab key brings you into the list of performances or rigs. This is dependent on which you have loaded at the time. You can then Left and right arrow through the table of performances or Rigs.

Known keyboard issues with Rig Manager

If you press the tab key when focused on a rig this moves, you through edit fields for the Rig. Pressing escape does not return keyboard focus back to the list of rigs, leaving end users stuck in edit fields. The Escape key should return focus back to the list of rigs so that users can continue left and right Arrowing through them.

If you are browsing through Rigs, it is not possible to sort rigs by name etc even if you have used the keystroke Control A to select all even if you click on the “sort by” option. Control up and Down arrow keys do not appear to move performances up and down however, you can cut, copy paste etc with Control X, Control C and Control V.

Control Shift N doesn’t name a performance however, function key F2 does.

Properties for Rigs and performances do not appear to be labelled E.G. when left and right Arrowing through rigs, information such as name etc is not spoken. I suspect that the properties for the underlying objects for Rigs and performances have not been labelled. Labelling these and adding keyboard support would take minimal time but would be worth implementing for the following reasons.

1: Making Rig Manager will result in increased sales for Kemper. I already know of one blind end user who is going to purchase a Kemper due to the accessibility discoveries that I have made. Furthermore, this could be a great opportunity for your marketing team.

2: adding appropriate labels for all objects in Rig Manager etc would allow Kemper to conduct in house automated testing which would free up more time for the development team and assist with software debugging.

3: Adding more keyboard support and labelling all objects correctly would improve accessibility for all and would significantly improve Rig Manager.

4: this would increase accessibility for blind and visually impaired screen reader users.

Current keyboard support in RIG MANAGER, EDITOR & LIBRARIAN FOR KEMPER PROFILER KEMPER Version 3.5.26 g 2013-2024

Rig Manager already has some keyboard support. However, this keyboard support is not triggered by default because it is possible for example that you may be browsing rigs or performances with left and right arrow keys or using other features in the Window that are context sensitive such as browsing rigs and performances on the profiler or locally in the library. In this instance it is understandable that end users would not want focus in that part of the Window that gives focus to altering a rig or performance etc. Moving forward perhaps it would make sense to have Say function key F6 move end users from the part of the Window where pre-sets are triggered for settings on the Kemper Profiler back to the other part of the Window where rigs and performances are located.

For now, in order to make that part of the Window active, it is necessary to press the presets button (I think this button is located in a square on the screen). This gives that part of the Window focus which enables keyboard support. You can then use the built in Rig Manager keyboard support which I have copied from the Rig Manager manual:

a

Amplifier Page

c

Cabinet Page

i

Input Page

o

Output Page

1 - 8

FX Slot #1 - 1#8

m

Trigger Morph Ramp (to simulate morphing)

t

Toggle On/Off.

Note other keyboard support used to import rigs, performances etc is dependent on the mode that the Kemper profiler is in E.G. performance, brows rigs etc. Also, preferences accessed with Control P is fully accessible.

In case someone comes across this thread and wants to create keyboard support for buttons on the Mac using keyboard Maestro etc, I shall provide a list of screen coordinates for buttons. BTW, I have put together a button layout for the Kemper Stage.

It goes without saying that I would be happy to, if necessary, sign an NDA with Kemper. I have 20 years of accessibility testing in music technology apps and software under my belt being privileged most recently to be part of the team of testers that worked with Ableton making Ableton Live accessible on Mac and Windows. I would also be happy to spend some time in a video call with Kemper, demonstrating the current state of accessibility for screen reader users and as a totally blind user, I am fully aware of any potential issues and may be able to provide some help. I would love the fantastic accessibility in Rig Manager to be improved and am thankful for the great strides that Kemper have made in regard to this. As a blind person, I now have access to one of the best high end amp modellers on the planet (this is currently the only amp modeler that we have full access to) and for that, I am extremely grateful!

I have created a Hotspot Clicker script here for the Jaws screen reader and a Golden Cursor NVDA add-on which work well. Someone could program up an AHK script but not going to do that. Happy to provide these freely to anyone who wants them. Feel free to get in touch.

Presets button, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift P

action: left click.

127 753

Amp volume, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift V

Action: lock mouse button and use mouse wheel to alter.

819 923

Drag Window, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift D

action: right click or lock left mouse button then drag Window with scroll wheel. Or right click then select page up or down from the menu.

1906 407

Unlock, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift U

action: right click.

118 652

Input and re-amp action: left click.

431 836

Main output pre-sets, keyboard shortcut: Alt Shift A

26 845

Monitor output pre-sets, keyboard shortcut Alt Shift N

75 941

Open Rigs in Separate Window, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift O

action: right click.

103 96

Sort by keyboard shortcut: Control Shift R

action: right click,

236 66

Store performance in profiler, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift S

1800 1019

Store performance in Local Library, keyboard shortcut: Control Shift L.

1504 1013

The following slots are made up in a tab order using Hotspot Clicker.

Slot 1: action left click to make active or rename, right click for other options.

1738 280

Slot 2: action left click to make active or rename, right click for other options.

1680, 329

Slot 3: action left click to make active or rename, right click for other options.

1767, 432

Slot 4: action left click to make active or rename, right click for other options.

1737, 527

Slot 5: action left click to make active or rename, right click for other options.

1759, 524

• Hey Matt. Here's a video demonstrating current accessibility in Rig Manager:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Shall put up a more detailed one soon.