Helix or pedals with Kemper

• This is my setup too. Best of both worlds?

Do you also have the Kemper Remote? If not, how do you switch rigs?
    Also, can you explain the 4cm cabling between the Kemper and the FX8. What cables go where? Thanks

• Hi,
    I do have the Kemper foot remote and I use it for channel switching and the norm for all things Kemper (my setup is for home)

Here is my setup:

Guitar ----> External pedals (Digitech Freqout, etc…) ---> FX8 IN (PRE)
    FX8 OUT (PRE) L/Mono ---> Kemper front Instrument input
    Kemper Direct Output/ Send ---> FX8 IN (POST) L
    FX8 OUT (POST) L ---> Kemper RETURN
    FX8 OUT (POST) R --> Kemper Alternative Input

Speakers:
    Kemper Master Output Left and Right XLR --> Pair of MAudio BX8s

Hope that helps!
    Cheers

• I say neither. You really don't have to use pedals with the Kemper unless you can't live without the Color that a specific pedal adds, but you can really do it without Pedals. Who needs a distortion pedal when you have the High Gain tone of tube amp, The effects in the Kemper should be good enough, the reverb tail is not the best if you're a reverb fanatic.

Honestly, I've come around to this way of thinking too. Haven't tried a Helix but I did get an AX-8 thinking it might be a substitute for the Kemper, or at least the FX engine would (in which case I might return it in exchange for an FX-8) but actually there was nothing in the Fractal I couldn't do without. I think maybe the reverbs were better, but in all other FX departments I felt the Kemper was at least as good if not better. The difference in the amp side of things was night & day. I would never replace my Kemper now.

• Honestly, I've come around to this way of thinking too. Haven't tried a Helix but I did get an AX-8 thinking it might be a substitute for the Kemper, or at least the FX engine would (in which case I might return it in exchange for an FX-8) but actually there was nothing in the Fractal I couldn't do without. I think maybe the reverbs were better, but in all other FX departments I felt the Kemper was at least as good if not better. The difference in the amp side of things was night & day. I would never replace my Kemper now.

I run an FX8 in front of my Kemper purely for it's software editor control while doing sound design work. It saves me a lot of time and makes the process enjoyable.

• You know when you think about it, I grew up in the 80's and remember a time when we didn't have much effects available unless you had lots of cash to blow. Isn't it crazy now the we have so much to choose from? Who would have thought it would come this far and we would have these fantastic little beasties!

Cheers,

• A software editor would certainly make the KPA easier to program.

Imho the kpa is absolut easy to program. This is not the point why i am after an editor. For me it' s the endless scrolling procedure when choosing cabs or fx. This is a pain and i dont know how long the hardware will be ok with this procedure. A tool like the kpa , for that price and no editor in times of the axe fx and other is incomprehensible. Just my 2 cents.

• I think the HelixFX would be a good device once the verbs get updated. Especially the drives, in comparison to the Kemper's offerings. As far as amp tones go; the Helix is a joke in comparison to me. Others feel differently (and some keep shoving the kool aid down throats without any sort of ability to see that the Helix ***gasp*** might not be for everyone). But that's my take and I'm sticking to it :D

• I think the HelixFX would be a good device once the verbs get updated. Especially the drives, in comparison to the Kemper's offerings. As far as amp tones go; the Helix is a joke in comparison to me. Others feel differently (and some keep shoving the kool aid down throats without any sort of ability to see that the Helix ***gasp*** might not be for everyone). But that's my take and I'm sticking to it :D

+1

• Heck, if I had the money, I would probably have one of each out there. A lot of these items compliment each other pretty well. Granted sound and cooperation of the devices vary to taste, but the soundscape possibilities are quite expansive.