Stereo vs mono question

• Hey guys, here's a quick question. I play in a couple bands and in both cases, the PA systems that we use for about 75% of gigs have extra channels and the ability to run in stereo. Right now I just run master mono out into one channel and it sounds fine. My question is, would I be able to achieve an even more full sound if I were to run master stereo, and run into 2 separate channels on our board, but instead of panning them hard left and right, run them both centered and just tweak the EQ of each channel a little differently? Or would that not really make any difference?

I was thinking about running in true stereo, but I don't know that it'd make much difference in terms of a fuller sound. I think that would just make some of the stereo effects like delays a little more in-depth. But at the same time, if people are sitting too close to one side, they'll only hear part of the effects. I'm just trying to find ways to make the sound even more full than it already is.

• I'd tend towards keeping the KPA-output signal in mono, OhG.

That way, however the FOH engineer pans it, it'll remain more-focussed and arguably-fuller in a live setting. There's enough comb filtering going on in most venues already, and the last thing I'd personally want is to add an already-phase-affected signal to the mix.

Obviously there's a place for over-the-top FX use here and there, and IMHO this falls into the same category as reverb use for gigs.

• I hear ya. In most of these situations, we run sound ourselves. We all run direct and use in-ears, so our system usually only needs very minor tweaks from gig to gig.

I was also wondering if running in stereo and just using the space feature on certain rigs would be a better way to go.

• I should probably reconsider mine. Our FOH speakers are normally not more than 20 feet apart and I go full stereo. I probably should reign it in a bit but it sounds glorious in my in ears. Let us know how you get on and what you think works best.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I use mono und like to set my position the pan in the stereo output of the FOH..
    One amp in former days was also mono.

Some effects of KPA could handle stereo but this I do not use. (as I am economical with every effects.)

Remark: it's my privat opinion and taste ;)

• I think tweaking the EQ of each channel a differently is not a good solution, but maybe this could work:
    Setup the Kemper's FX just as you would play mono, as the last element in the FX chain use a Mimiq Doubler and send it's stereo-output to hard left/right panned channels of the PA. People are sitting close to one side should not be able to perceive the slight differences.

-> https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/31178-TC-electronic-mimiq-doubler

I have to mention that I never tried this as I always play mono, 'cause we have two guitarists

• Im not sound engineer so this is my very basic view:

Stereo will always sound fuller but it depends if that's really want you want - fuller usually equates to less cut. This is why I tend to play without any affects including reverb ( particularly on rhythm ) because at home it sounds ace, in a band it disappears...

You'll probably get a bit more separation and spatial sound, question is, is that desirable?

Are you a single or dual guitar band ?

Personally I'd definitely stay mono in a dual guitar band and only go stereo if I wanted to maximise stereo effects ( like a ping pong delay)...otherwise its just not worth the extra leads etc.

As an analogy, a single guitar band can sound fuller than dual when playing the same riffs because 2 guitars can be slightly out and make it more mushy. This for me is the same effect for stereo...

Although as I said, just a personal experience...

• To clarify, my goal isn't to highlight effects. I don't use a ton of them. I'm trying to find a way to just get a more monsterous sound. The type that you get when you double or triple your guitar tracks in the studio. I know there have been tips on the forum with people suggesting using a detune or really short delay, but none of that really sounds good. IMO the detune just makes it sound like an 80's sound (like anyone who played for Ozzy).

• To clarify, my goal isn't to highlight effects. I don't use a ton of them. I'm trying to find a way to just get a more monsterous sound. The type that you get when you double or triple your guitar tracks in the studio. I know there have been tips on the forum with people suggesting using a detune or really short delay, but none of that really sounds good. IMO the detune just makes it sound like an 80's sound (like anyone who played for Ozzy).

In this case the mimiq doubler is for you. It is the only ADT that provides a nearly realistic tone to a double tracked guitar. But it only works in a stereo setup.

• In this case the mimiq doubler is for you. It is the only ADT that provides a nearly realistic tone to a double tracked guitar. But it only works in a stereo setup.

What is it? I've never heard of it until this thread. Is it a feature of the Kemper?

• In this case the mimiq doubler is for you. It is the only ADT that provides a nearly realistic tone to a double tracked guitar. But it only works in a stereo setup.

I just watched some YouTube videos on it. Sounds great in stereo, but sounds like garbage if you plug into it and only use one output (which I'm guessing is why you said it only works in stereo). If I were to set it up in stereo and use one channel on our board for left and one for right, it should sound fine. But what about if we play places with mono PA systems? I'd still use two channels. So as long as I use two channels, will it still sound thick (even though the PA isn't true stereo), or would it produce the metallic box-like phasing sound that you hear when you're only using one output and everything is mixed down to one?

And how would this be hooked up with the Kemper and run in stereo? It looks like it's made to run out to 2 separate amps.

Edited once, last by OhG ().

• Using full stereo over an X32 feeding the IEM and FOH. Since i am using the mimiq doubler for rehearsal and live a mono setup simply would not work.

I just watched a bunch of videos about the Mimiq and I think it could work, but I have a couple questions for you.

In the majority of the shows I play, we'll be running sound ourselves and using our own PA systems which are set up to run in stereo. So my plan would be to use the Mimiq with the stereo main outs of the Kemper, each output going to it's own channel. I'm assuming this setup would give me that great guitar sound as if it were doubled in the studio (that's what I'm hearing from the Mimiq videos). I like the sound of it. But what about situations where we then play on a system that is mono? If I were to leave everything set to stereo, and still use the main outputs exactly as described, I know it probably wouldn't give me the stereo spread, but would it end up sounding like this person describes in this video beginning at the 11:00 mark?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

To me, the Mimiq sounds awesome when run in stereo. When we play on mono systems, I'd still be running out of the Kemper via stereo and into 2 different channels. But I'm just wondering if it would end up sounding like crap (like the 11:00 minute mark), or if by using 2 different channels will keep from having that room/metal/phasing garbage sound.

And how do you hook the Mimiq up to your Kemper to achieve the stereo effect?

• I just watched a bunch of videos about the Mimiq and I think it could work, but I have a couple questions for you.
    In the majority of the shows I play, we'll be running sound ourselves and using our own PA systems which are set up to run in stereo. So my plan would be to use the Mimiq with the stereo main outs of the Kemper, each output going to it's own channel. I'm assuming this setup would give me that great guitar sound as if it were doubled in the studio (that's what I'm hearing from the Mimiq videos). I like the sound of it. But what about situations where we then play on a system that is mono? If I were to leave everything set to stereo, and still use the main outputs exactly as described, I know it probably wouldn't give me the stereo spread, but would it end up sounding like this person describes in this video beginning at the 11:00 mark?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

To me, the Mimiq sounds awesome when run in stereo. When we play on mono systems, I'd still be running out of the Kemper via stereo and into 2 different channels. But I'm just wondering if it would end up sounding like crap (like the 11:00 minute mark), or if by using 2 different channels will keep from having that room/metal/phasing garbage sound.

And how do you hook the Mimiq up to your Kemper to achieve the stereo effect?

Put the mimiq in the Stereo FX Loop of the Kemper in the X slot. This way you can program per preset if you want it or not. You can even lock it in on/off position. Don´t worry, with 1.1 Firmware update it is mono compatible and won´t cause any bigger phase problems. Apart from that, when would you have a single Speaker as FOH?

• When we play on mono systems, I'd still be running out of the Kemper via stereo and into 2 different channels. But I'm just wondering if it would end up sounding like crap

If you want to play mono into two hard left/right panned channels just switch off (bypass) the Mimiq Doubler.

• Put the mimiq in the Stereo FX Loop of the Kemper in the X slot. This way you can program per preset if you want it or not. You can even lock it in on/off position. Don´t worry, with 1.1 Firmware update it is mono compatible and won´t cause any bigger phase problems. Apart from that, when would you have a single Speaker as FOH?

We never play gigs with just one FOH speaker. There is always a set of speakers on both sides, but that doesn't mean the system can handle stereo. Having speakers on both sides of the stage doesn't mean the system is in stereo. So those are the systems I'm worried about. When we use those, it's basically like having one speaker (even though there is one on each side). So I'm worried that in those instances, I'll get that garbage room/slapback/phasing sound.