JCM800 profiles

• Hey guys, been having fun profiling this 1985 Marshall JCM800 I have handy at the moment. I have uploaded a couple of profiles on the RE. I did make DA profiles also... if anyone cares for those, I could also upload them as well. The profiles are medium-high gain, aimed towards hard/heavy rock. Hope they are useful to someone! :)

Cheers,

Ben

• DA = DI? Yes please :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Update :) - love the HG one. Been playing with it for 30 minutes. Sounds great! - thanks for sharing.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• DA = DI? Yes please :)

Yes, DI profiles... sorry for the confusion! :)

Corresponding DI profiles uploaded to the RE!

BTW, the profiles may be on the bright side. I was trying to get profiles which would really cut through a rock mix. I don't know if it's too much, but I guess this can easily be tamed with some EQing. Also, the higher gain profile has a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal baked in to kick the front of the amp.

Thanks for checking them out. Enjoy! 8)

Ben

Edit: in case anyone is interested, I included the original values for definition and gain parameters, as well as the amp settings used for profiling in the rig tags... this may be useful if you want to revert to the raw profile.

• "JCM 800 Crunch" was my favorite. The bottom end is a little more round where I prefer a stiffer crunch, but it's the best overall vintage tone. The others were ok, but I thought this one had the best personality so it's the only one I kept. Well done and thanks for sharing!

• Guys, thanks for comments really!!

The Crunch (as well as the Push and Solo) is from an older profiling session. Those (Crunch/Solo) are profiles with a Boss BD-2 in the front of the amp.

The profiles I made this weekend are the ones with the HG/LG suffixes. I am only experimenting with making my own profiles. This time I tried to achieve a real mix cutting tone.

This specific amp does not have a lot of gain on tap. It really needs a pedal in front to get a decent amount of gain.

@john2910, I still have access to the amp, so I could try to do some more. :)

Do you guys have any ideas/suggestions for profiling? Mic position, amps settings, etc?

Cheers

Ben

• @suseguitar, thanks for trying out the profiles and for the kind comments!

@dpeters95, @Dean_R, suggestions noted!

BTW, those Michael Schenker settings must be LOUD!! =O

I don't have too much time on my hands, but hopefully I can do some more profiles this week - I shall report back!

Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it! :thumbup:

Ben

• @Dean_R :

Wow, I sure wasn't expecting this kind of comment - thanks, I am really glad you like the profiles!

I find the last bunch I uploaded (MG/HG variations) are the ones I like best, at the moment at least. The previous ones sound a little dull to me, but in the end this is really a matter of personal taste.

The only thing I did different this time was to take the time and move the microphone (single SM57) and find the right spot on the right speaker, all the while recording a little riff for each. This is a Marshall 4x12, so I did this for each speaker and chose the tone I liked best. The tones I generally like are usually mid focused, so this is what I target when I give a shot at profiling. One thing I realized, and it took a while, is that the amp settings I would use for a live situation are not guaranteed to be the best for profiling. Oh well, trial and error I guess... :/

The guitar used for profiling was indeed a Les Paul with a Suhr DSH in the bridge position! :)

I will happily do some more profiles of the JCM800 and try the what has been suggested here so for, and I will be more than happy to share with the community here. One thing I would also like to do, time permitting, is to demo the profiles in a mix context - to me this is a good test.

Thanks again,

Ben

• I will happily do some more profiles of the JCM800 and try the what has been suggested here so for, and I will be more than happy to share with the community here. One thing I would also like to do, time permitting, is to demo the profiles in a mix context - to me this is a good test.

Really good job! :thumbup:
    Waiting for new rigs, thank you very much!! <3

• Wow, you're not kidding. Loving the JCM800 Solo profile for rhythm guitar with my PRS. So chunky and dirty!!!

Is there a Solo profile as well? I can only see the MG and HG profiles (in both Studio and DI versions).

• Thanks for adding the DI profiles. Is it just me or do they "break" if you crank the presence? Anything above 3 and it sounds like there is a loose connection somewhere in the signal path?

• Ah ok. Thanks!