Super WEIRD phase issue when reamping?!? (Solved)

• Im assuming your using the same profile (as this wont go out of phase with itself)

Flipping the phase is a bad idea,, as you can hear it trying to null itself. and will never sound pretty.

Now the first one is fine, in phase, but what your hearing is not out of phase, its called Freq Choking. - where set number of freq "unwanted" are clashing. - this can be from a difference impedance from the guitar output & pickups. or unwanted freq in the profile that is causing this.

On the 2nd pass, lower the definition, as its set to high in one of those passes, check your DBu, to see if your clipping at a certain freq band (around 3K)

The profile itself was badly recorded maybe, and actually has single mic phasing issue. therefore when stacked it goes out of phase. (comb filtering)

Try and EQ one of the guitars put a broad dip in the EQ around 2k-4K to see if that tarnished high freq vanishes.

• I think you misunderstood!
    I filpped phase on both RIGHT SIDE tracks.
    Flipping phase like that should NOT make an audiable difference form two different sources

It doesn't do that when I reamp without "constant latency"

This is first time I've tried "constant latency" ever, and no other time than now have I had these issues

The first one does NOT sound fine, because that "freq choking" as you call it, I have never heard before when recording, and I've been doing this for many years.
    Even if it has happened, it has never been THIS prominent.

I have experienced this with my Röde NT5 overheads, and then tried another Audio Technica overheads, which was easier to separate in stereo, while the Rödes kinda "chokes" on themselves, even when put far apart from each other.

• But... its two difference performances.

I mean if you came hear and I showed you everything in detail, you would be baffled too.

This is SUPER WEIRD and I've never experienced this at all before...

I KNOW phase issues can come from the same source, like if you mic a snare drum over+under, or you use several mics on the same cab.
    Or reamp the same performance with different sounds... I get phasey sounds if I dont use "constant latency".

THIS IS DIFFERENT BECAUSE ITS DIFFERENT PERFORMANCES...
    I hope you really pay attention to what I'm trying to say because it's seriously weird, I wouldn't make a thread about it otherwise

Please dont just assume I dont know about phase issues...

This has happened before, I try to explain a problem, and everybody just assumes I dont know beginners stuff... Please pay close attention to the real issue guys :love::love::love:

• Yeah I will do more detailed uploads, but I dont have time today...

I'm glad you wanna take a listen tho, of course!

I have never tried "constant latency" and was really looking forward to it. But if that feature causes this, it's really weird.

Because I have reamped without constant latency without any of these issues.

Will make more detailed uploads tomorrow, for sure!

• Two above 100% left (one performance)
    Two below 100% right (a different perfarmance)

When flipping both right channels (the "difference performance") it sounds like it should.
    But without flipping phase, it gets choked up in the middle.

This have NEVER happened me before.

Two different performances = does not get affected by phase flips, because they are two different performances! :S

• The profile itself was badly recorded maybe, and actually has single mic phasing issue. therefore when stacked it goes out of phase. (comb filtering)

Recently I've been running SPDIF and 1/4 into 2 different channels at the same time. I am not sure how much the 1/4 gets colored by my focusrite preamp. But it seems to reveal eq issues right away. Of course this is just to check the eq as I only use SPDIF.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Phase differences can crop up and not be as simple as flipping 180 degrees. There are frequency dependent phase anomalies which are the nature of EQ differences.

Not pimping the IBP as a product but offering that phase issues are not strictly 180 degrees away from resolution or manipulation for tone color.

EQing can introduce phase coloration which is pleasant and also horrid. Linear phase EQ can and can't be a better way to go.

Some issues can be resolved by time alteration. MS EQ's open a wider sense of ambience at specific frequency ranges.
    |
    There's a possibility that constant latency being associated with the unpleasant sound is a hint that the phase issue is a frequency or frequency range and not an across the board time difference.

The sound issue we most associate with wide range frequency misalignment is usually nulled @ 180 phase flipping.

I think, perhaps, you are hearing a stereo correlation that is stacking unpleasantly in the center depending on the phase switch.

I'd be inclined to suggest Mid/Side EQ to resolve the muddiness in the middle by honing in on the frequency issue and reducing it's prominence in the "middle" of the stereo image.

Phase is a deep subject and I'm no expert. I just have learned that it's only part of the sound image manipulation.

Hope this helps point out the simple answer isn't usually simple...

Edited once, last by 1fastdog ().

• SORRY GUYS...

I just realized I by mistake had recorded two DI tracks on one of the channels.

There's nothing wrong with "Constant latency" it's just me being stupid and forgetting to mute the other DI track ...

Of course there will be chokes up in the middle...

Mistakes happens... X/

Now when I paid more attention there's full separation of course... And the "constant latency" is a lot of fun :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
    Should have tried this a lot before, because I realize that most Kemper profiles are often one mic, and I know when micing my own cabs that often the real magic starts to happen when you add more mics! :love:

I'm glad this sorted out except the fact that it was such a stupid mistake I shouldn't even have done from the start

• It makes sense. Things should disappear from center when there are phase issues - not become more prominent :)

Also, I can't help but stick this in your face :D (all in good humour - we've all been there)

Please dont just assume I dont know about phase issues...

This has happened before, I try to explain a problem, and everybody just assumes I dont know beginners stuff... Please pay close attention to the real issue guys

I've heard a guy who did support on audio setups fix 30% of all issues with the first question, and 50% of all issues with the next one:
    1st: "Is everything plugged in correctly?"
    2nd: "are you sure?" :D