Mission Engineering Gemini 1 Passive vs. Active, with a powered Kemper.

• I have a powered Kemper Rack. Obviously using my kemper to power a passive Gemini 1 makes more sense from a $ and probably a weight standpoint. I'm curious if anyone has experience a/b-ing the scenario of a passive Gemini 1 vs. a powered Gemini 1. It's easy to just say they would sound the same, but I'm not sure I'd make that assumption. In fact, I can't tell on the mission site if the passive version even has the eMpower technology like the active version does, or if the speakers are exactly the same....so it might sound no where near as good as the active version.

Doesn't seem most internet retailers carry the passive version, but I see that you can buy them direct from Mission.

Anyone with this specific experience?

I'd rather not pay for a powered Gemini given my kemper is powered already, but I only want to go FRFR if I am really improving my situation. Currently i play my kemper out through my Bogner 2x12 OS and it already sound quite good....so I'm interested in seeing what is the best option for improved sound via Gemini.

Thanks for your insights.

• I have an Gemini 2 and for me the EmPower make all the difference, really.
    My Kemper is unpowered model, so i using the main output in Stereo.

i don't like the tone harsh of just be FRFR (i tried it with Class D PA Loudspeaker, high quality)
    I like the tone of the real 2x12 closed cab trough and seperated Tube amp, but i losing all superb details of the FRFR when mid gain, low gain and clean profiles.
    So
    Gemini fix this by giving us a adjustment, the EmPower, mine is set at 70% FRFR, and it became perfect blend to me.
    When the Gemini is at 100% FRFR (flat), the tone is a bit too harsh (trebless), but the sound is dispersing very well vs PA Loudspeaker.
    When the Gemini is at 0% like guitar cabinet, it is like guitar cabinet, more mid, less treble,

For me this is the reason why i selected Gemini 2, the Empower adjustment vs buy Blueamp with on-off switch FRFR-GFR, RedSound or Friedman ASC12
    and it is stereo, this is a plus.
    Do get me wrong, Bleuamp, RedSound and Friedman are very good stuff, better in my eye than any PA Loudspeaker.

I am use to play Hi-Gain Mesa amp, and i like it when it loud and wide dispersion when playing Live.
    Gemini 2 does it, loud, nice hi-gain tone and dispersion, you can feel it and it is so clean at the same time.
    As i mentioned in a other post, for me, my search for a perfect match with Kemper is completed, done, finito, that it.
    And i am extremely satisfied.

• I have a Gemini 1-P and a powered KPA. I have no doubt the powered Gemini is superior, but I'm also a sucker for convenience.

I spoke with Paul @ Mission before purchasing and went back and forth about options and opinions. The reason you don't see the passive anywhere is the margins are just too small. In the end I had to do right by my wallet and opt for the passive Gemini and don't regret it whatsoever.

One thing to keep in mind is the powered Gemini needs to be driven at high volumes to really shine. I've never had an issue with the 1-P and my powered KPA at lower volumes.

I think you're doing it right looking at the Gemini. The coaxial speaker design gives you a much more realistic cab feel and even dispersion where you can accomplish more things like natural feedback that you just can't do with a boxy, hi-fi PA speaker. The ability to have cab-like feel while also being FRFR was a no brainer for me.