What does the Kemper Remote give me that the FCB1010 with a 3rd party chip cannot?

• Just reading this thread again from the beginning! I was a UNO user who upgraded to remote. No comparison IMO, TOTAL integration! What amazed me is the number of people who seem to think the price is an issue. How many guitars do you have, and how much did each cost? Puts things in perspective! :thumbup:

• Just reading this thread again from the beginning! I was a UNO user who upgraded to remote. No comparison IMO, TOTAL integration! What amazed me is the number of people who seem to think the price is an issue. How many guitars do you have, and how much did each cost? Puts things in perspective! :thumbup:

I do think the price is a little steep; however, if you consider the general user base of this product (ie people who don't mind paying good money for good tone), I can see where they would have priced it where it is.

I appreciate every $ I spent on it every time I setup or break down. For me, the straw that broke me down into ordering one was when one of my MIDI cables got an intermittent problem. Took me over a week to figure out which one it was and what was going on. After I figured it out, I decided that I could get the KFC and a backup Ethercon cable and never have that problem again.

• Since you already have it and its working for you why change. If you didn't have one already I would mention the HD500 or 500x as a controller possibility.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• It may be sexy, but not $400 difference sexy.

So far, I'm happy with the upgraded chip. I get the looper functionality, mentioned above, as well as most other functionality. The only thing it's lacking is the readout. Since I never looked at a readout in any of my previous gear, I guess that's a bonus that I'm not going to miss.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hey lespauled,
    I upgraded my EurekaProm chip a year ago (V3) and the looper is limited to FCB pedals 1-3 (rec/play/dub - stop/erase - trigger).
    The pedals:
    4 (Reverse),
    5 (half speed)
    6 (undo) doesn`t work.

Have you full access to all looper functions wiht your latest version? Greetings!

• Cool set up and glad it worked for you. I assume you don't have to switch to the tuner much, or change performances? Its been a while but I think those were my major complaints. Switching to tuner, switching to performance mode to select the right rig, and then selecting the effects mode so I could tun on and off effects.

• I don't use the tuner. I have used my Peterson Strobostomp classic since I bought it. It's been a fixture on my board since I bought it.

If I did want to use it, I could easily access it. There are other modes, accessible from the up/down pedals

Effects Mode
    [Blocked Image: http://www.eurekasound.com/_/rsrc/1382474275090/eurekaprom/pa/PA%20EF.png]

Preset Mode
    [Blocked Image: http://www.eurekasound.com/_/rsrc/1382310377842/eurekaprom/pa/PA%20Pr.png]

Favorite Presets
    [Blocked Image: http://www.eurekasound.com/_/rsrc/1382310377842/eurekaprom/pa/PA%20FP.png.1379358936539.png]

Specials
    [Blocked Image: http://www.eurekasound.com/_/rsrc/1451503994375/eurekaprom/pa/PA%20SP.png]

Effects and Presets
    [Blocked Image: http://www.eurekasound.com/_/rsrc/1382310377842/eurekaprom/pa/PA%20EP.png]

• Well, all I can say is I had one (actually still have it, but with an earlier EurekaProm version) and for my tastes and purposes, the Kemper Remote is much more easier to use, and while it is expensive, it offers much more functionality and flexibility. YMMV

• I like to get rid of the powercable...i know there is sollutions for that too on the net for the 1010 but i dont know if i have the skillz to do it

I am an electrical engineer. I was seriously considering this as well. It was going to take me one of my weekend days to do the job and I am pretty decent at electronics:

1) Create a rack mounted power and signal source for a single MIDI cable
    2) Open up the FCB1010 and re-wire the MIDI connector for the new cable, tap off the DC power from the cable into the correct points on the FCB1010 (which as its own internal power supply and must be disabled)

This was always sufficient work to keep me from the modification. Also the idea that there was always the possibility of me messing up and frying my FCB1010 which would have put my total costs very close to what the price of the KFC was.

After all that, I would still have the big footprint of the FCB to work with and would still not have the LCD read-out and color coded LED's.

• I must be in the minority, because I’ve never had an issue with the cables. I little tape and it’s a non-issue. I’ve been using the fcb this way for years without a problem. I was thinking of changing after I bought the Kemper. So far, it’s working perfectly.

I even put my cables in plastic conduit to help protect them and to keep the stage clean. Still had cable issues :(

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• While the Remote is great, I think it could be more functional.

For example, what's with the limitation of assigning a single stomp to a single button? Which basically means you cannot access that stomp from any other button.

It's a strange design decision to me. it would have been as easy to allow any combination of buttons to be turned on or off with a foot press.

I also find the layout strange and think it would be great if we could allow any stomp to be assigned to any function. If I could do this, I'd reverse the up/down buttons.

This one is a bit nitpick, but it would have been great if we could have also got scribble strips as well. Much better than reading lights, methinks.

• "The limitation of assigning a single stomp to a single button" doesn't exist. Up to four stomps can be assigned to one button and be toggled with with one foot press.

True is, that you cannot assign the same effect module to two different Effect Buttons. But you could have the same effect in two different Modules and switch those with different buttons. In addition you can Morph and you can simply load another Rig. There are 625 Slots in Performance Mode. So, there is no need to press every possible effect permutations into one Slot.

• "The limitation of assigning a single stomp to a single button" doesn't exist. Up to four stomps can be assigned to one button and be toggled with with one foot press.

True is, that you cannot assign the same effect module to two different Effect Buttons. But you could have the same effect in two different Modules and switch those with different buttons. In addition you can Morph and you can simply load another Rig. There are 625 Slots in Performance Mode. So, there is no need to press every possible effect permutations into one Slot.

Thanks for pointing that out, Burkhard. What I was specifically referring to is that once you have assigned stomps to a button, you cannot link them to any other button.

In that sense, I would be hoping Kemper Amps would consider adding a mode that allows you to have freedom to assign multiple buttons multiple times.

How would this help? Let's just assume a casual jamming session where you need to be able to assign FX freely.

It would be lovely to be able to turn off delay with one button press while turning on anothe FX. But what if I want to switch to another combination where I want to turn the delay off as well as the first effect while also turning on a third effect? Or maybe I want the delay on as well as the first FX.

I had raised this earlier as well. Some sort of "pedalboard mode" for the Remote would indeed be a great move by Kemper Amps. Indeed, it is not always feasible to play on the basis of pre-programmed performances. What if the preset I created with the required FX and tone was four performances away? Would I even remember where it is?

In contrast, let's say I just load up a tone in browse mode, then programme all eight FX slots with my requirements. Lock those. Now I play. Want to pull up a specific FX? What if I want a combination of FX? Heck, what if I want to turn all the FX off all at once?

It would be awesome if Kemper Amps would consider this as a feature request. I hate my midi pedalboard, so large and clunky. But it does things the Remote can't. I was also pleasantly surprised when I hooked it up to the Kemper recently and it told me "Gordius Little Giant connected". Sweet touch! :thumbup:

• @nightlight
    Would this work for your “Jam Mode?”

Assign four FX to the four switches, and the Orher four to two external double switches.

Or, use one external double switch, and a pedal. That would still give you six FX switches, plus Morph.

That’s a great idea, paults. But what happens if I want to turn on delay on two stomps? Can’t be done in a singgle press unfortunately.
    I totally get the advantages of the Remote. So sleek and sick looking, amazing integration with The a Kemper.

But in this case, having an arbitrary limitation of assigning an FX to only one stomp is a little silly.

To put it in perspective, my floorboard has eight buttons that I caN assign to each stomp. But I also can programme it to turn on five, seven, two, six FX with a button press.

I can also do things like assign a single button to go sequentially through every rig in a performance.

So I start the song, when there’s a chorus, I press a button, go back to verse, press the same button, go to chorus again, same button, go to solo, same button, etc.

I think the Remote is amazing,p. But please understand, I have incredibly high expectations from a Kemper Amps. I can do exactly the same things as the Kemper if I want, like swap FX with a single press.

In that respect, look at the thread we had where they requested us to give inputs for the Remote. We had some great suggestions.

I just feel that the Remote is not worthy of the Kemper. That’s a fantastic product. The Remote seems just passable.

For example, logical programming. If button A is active, pressing button will do x y z. But if A is inactive, button will do w and y.

Or just simple stuff like assigning any button to any function. Or changing the Remote layout if you select a certain Patch.

Or having an expression pedal control morph and Wah or pitch or all three simultaneously.

Sorry for the mammoth post, but i’m a fan of the company. They can do better on this product, imho.