How well does kemper profile multiple distorting stages? Preamp + power amp clipping DI test

• So here is the requested test..

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You can skip first minute since you know what test is about. First just normal kpa vs amp comparison, second part of video is the "gain compensated" profile vs the amp at same settings but with preamp higher (from 2/10 to 5/10).

Pay attention to the mids.

Not overly happy about this test, because it was quite difficult to find the point on the amp preamp gain where I felt the kpa was accurate enough without me eliminating pretty much all preamp gain, in which case increase KPA's "gain" wasn't emulating how the amp sounds distorted.

That said, what is lacking from the test is amp/profile comparison at 2/10 on amp preamp when power amp is low. This is a issue, because it isn't made clear if indeed the kemper's accuracy changes when power amp is driven harder WHEN the preamp is at 2/10. I will attach a soundcloud recording to the video later today so you hear how that sounds as well. It's always good to listen back.

All in all, I had to find a balance where 1) profiling accuracy will be at its best, in this scenario and 2) I will have enough preamp gain for kemper to be able to "copy" enough of its character so that afterwards increase KPA's gain control wouldn't sound totally different to amp at 5/10 of the preamp.

Next test will be profiling the amp with 5/10 preamp gain.. but with way less power amp volume, maybe 2/3 out of 10. So no power amp distorting. Then I will increase the power amp level on the real amp and try to compensate using kemper controls (definition, power sage, tube shape, blah blah).

I doubt how successful that will be. But I will do my best and see what result is when recorded.

Cheerios

• Uhm, I will keep the pedal comments in mind, thanks.

Yes, these tests are not for the ideal tone I want, just experiments, really...

..Even though there can be some application if there's any interesting finding when profiling some power amp tone that I like (more from my orange amp, laney not as much)

If the goal is to get the tone I prefer I always test in a mix :)

• I'm wondering if the results obtained in the test above happen with most amps or if it's specific to a few amps, like the Laney.

In the follow up test or the original test of the thread?

I think the second test is more amp dependent than the first.

But generally I get the same results like in the first test with most amps. I don't think ive ever come across a different result for crunch to gain tones.

Now of course at which level kemper will get confused with each amp exactly, when dual stages are distorting, it varries on some level. In some cases it can get closer, preamp and power amp levels being equal from amp to amp, others worse. Depends on how the stages interact on real amp, among other things..

But there's a general consistency to the results.

I'd say there's nothing particularly bizzare about the laney when it comes to profile accuracy. I just use it for tests because it's so convenient and have no other tube amps sitting at home atm.

If someone else gets different results, tests can be done and posted, interesting in any case.

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• You can even try profiling the axe fx @ColdFrixion while dialing in a fair amount of power amp distortion on the axe.

• In the follow up test or the original test of the thread?

The follow-up test.

I think the second test is more amp dependent than the first.

That's what I was wondering about.

In my opinion, I don't think there are many (any?) options built in to the KPA that will align the results more closely with the real amp in terms of the differences I hear related to both stages distorting significantly. It's not an EQ thing.

• That's what I will try to do in the next test.. Use any settings on kpa to get closer (other than just the "trick" in second test posted). Definition, tube shape, sag, all that.

But I've done it quite a bit off camera with not much success, mostly with my orange amp (Where I prefer the power amp cranked) and a marshall. I will try do it with the laney and be as careful as possible, but I don't expect miracles.

• That's what I will try to do in the next test.. Use any settings on kpa to get closer (other than just the "trick" in second test posted). Definition, tube shape, sag, all that.

But I've done it quite a bit off camera with not much success, mostly with my orange amp (Where I prefer the power amp cranked) and a marshall. I will try do it with the laney and be as careful as possible, but I don't expect miracles.

I'm not expecting much but who knows. Good luck just the same.

• Making a half an hour video with real amp + different cabs in a mix.. 146 tracks in my daw now.. after that is done I will see about tweaking volume control On guitar :) though pretty sure I would have noticed if it helped when playing.

Cheerios and thanks

Edited once, last by Dimi84 ().

• Kind of irrelevant, but just uploaded this test of 28 Sinmix cab IRs. This is a real amp + IR, not kemper. However I profiled the direct amp tone as well. It's quite different to many "metal" profiles I'd say. More vintag-y. If you want it I'll share.

https://youtu.be/CQIOapiMsOI

• And yes I tested the "volume knob" on guitar suggestion. I'd say the amp has a slightly more gradual clean to break - up transition. But no, I don't think tricks with volume knob help with profiling accuracy, cheerios :)