Kemper and the Jazz Chorus ... any thoughts ?

• Hello everybody !

I was interested in this amp since 2012 actually and only going to make it now ! Bought it yesterday I should have it next month’ plenty of time to read the manual and understand before it’s delivered !

I also got last week a Jazz Chorus 40 Watts version, and I was wondering how should I rig that with the Kemper to obtain the best result ?

It seems it’s best to be used with monitoring speakers like the ROKIT or such, unsure about the success of rigging them together.

The ideal would be to use the KPA as a the preamp when switched on the loop, but still using the Jazz Chorus amazing spatial chorus and speakers magic ...

Are there any users out there with similar configuration or past experiences ?

Cheers,
    Hueyman

• I used the JC120 with a Rocktron Chameleon for a while many years ago. It worked very well.
    The JC120 had a power amp input which allowed me to bypass the preamp. Sounded good that way. Didn't use the preamp.
    Not sure that the JC40 can do that, in which case you'll be colouring the sound of the Kemper.

• Hi Gizmo,

Thank you veru much for your feedback !

The JC 40 has the same back panel I/O that the 120 has, so we'll see ;)

Cheers

• I used the JC120 with a Rocktron Chameleon for a while many years ago. It worked very well.
    The JC120 had a power amp input which allowed me to bypass the preamp. Sounded good that way. Didn't use the preamp.
    Not sure that the JC40 can do that, in which case you'll be colouring the sound of the Kemper.

And do you remember ho you rigged that up ?

Any other users of such config currently reading this thread ?

• The ideal would be to use the KPA as a the preamp when switched on the loop, but still using the Jazz Chorus amazing spatial chorus and speakers magic ...

Yes, I can remember this awesome spatial chorus from the JC120. I have this rig but the spatial chorus is nowhere to be found. It's just a common clean rig without anything like...so disappointing. The choruses and reverbs in the Kemper don't even come close to this. So I ask myself frequently this question: What is one thinking when profiling an amp without using these kind of specific characteristics? And this happens more than once when I hear live bands using a specific guitar amp on stage, which obviously has been profiled and showed in Rig Manager but doesn't even get close in having / getting that same sound. It seems that, despite having a Kemper you still have to be a sound engineer as well..sadly enough, I'm not :(

• A big factor for getting the rich chorus sound is that the JC-120 has 2 speakers.
    Huge difference when using modulation, regardless of sound quality.

Kemper in stereo with the CE-1 chorus can get you there.

• Yes, I can remember this awesome spatial chorus from the JC120. I have this rig but the spatial chorus is nowhere to be found. It's just a common clean rig without anything like...so disappointing. The choruses and reverbs in the Kemper don't even come close to this. So I ask myself frequently this question: What is one thinking when profiling an amp without using these kind of specific characteristics? And this happens more than once when I hear live bands using a specific guitar amp on stage, which obviously has been profiled and showed in Rig Manager but doesn't even get close in having / getting that same sound. It seems that, despite having a Kemper you still have to be a sound engineer as well..sadly enough, I'm not :(

effects that manipulate the time axis like delay, reverb and any type of modulation like chorus etc cannot be profiled.

• So what are the secrets behind those awesome rigs within reach only for the "happy few".
    Listen to the opening tune of a Kemper made video. Beautiful but not to get. But this in inherent to the machine. I love my Kemper but I only can scratch the surface. No hard feelings though...

• Hello,

I will receive my Kemper in two weeks,

Following the original thread, I'm still wondering how to rig it up to the Jazz Chorus to use the KPA as the preamp and the JC as power/amp/monitoring speakers in the best conditions.

Thanks for your help

• I'd try this..

Make sure KPA master volume is low and JC40 is off
    On JC40, set fx loop to series
    Go from KPA main outputs to fx loop return inputs on JC40 using simple TS cables.
    Use KPA master volume to control JC40 output (pre-amp of JC40 is disabled)

• Hey Hueyman,

Did this work out for you? I'm a long time JC-120 player, and I just received my KPA today. Great minds and all that! Can't live without that true chorus.

• I'd try this..

Make sure KPA master volume is low and JC40 is off
    On JC40, set fx loop to series
    Go from KPA main outputs to fx loop return inputs on JC40 using simple TS cables.
    Use KPA master volume to control JC40 output (pre-amp of JC40 is disabled)

Great idea, I´ll try also, I´m looking for the same, use the KPA as preamp and JC as a cabinet. Some thougths are wellcome here.

• Does the JC40 have direct power amp inputs? My JC120 has them and they bypass the preamp making the power amp as flat as possible. Use the KPA with cab on through main outs into these direct power amp inputs. That is how I would use the KPA with the JC.

• Does the JC40 have direct power amp inputs? My JC120 has them and they bypass the preamp making the power amp as flat as possible. Use the KPA with cab on through main outs into these direct power amp inputs. That is how I would use the KPA with the JC.

Effect Loop returns in "Series" mode

watch your levels! turn down the PROFILER and the JC40 all the way and slowly and carefully increase volumes.

• Effect Loop returns in "Series" mode

watch your levels! turn down the PROFILER and the JC40 all the way and slowly and carefully increase volumes.

Perfect, so it will work as a FRFR cab? But what it will be the diference between a FRFR cab and the JC sounding like this?