Is it my ears - warming / thickening up the sound

• Do you ever have days you plug into your go to profiles and things just sound a bit cold? Is it just my ears?

But asides from that....in a band / live situation if you feel your rigs are just a bit "thin" sounding....what are your go to techniques for warming / thickening them up?

I use my DXR10 for rehearsals....and actually at the tiny venue we play tonight pre-festival, it will also be my main amp.

Cheers,
    Andy

• Yeah, definitely are your ears.

I mean, it happens to me as well. But it happens to me also with my tube amps... Normally very happy with the sound but sometimes there's a certain something that isn't sounding as usual... So I've just assumed it's psychoacoustics, so many factors determine the way you perceive sound.

To thicken things up try to place your speaker in the ground, and close to a wall if possible; this will enhance the lower frequencies and make the perceived sound seem 'thicker'.

Cheers

• Funnily enough, at the gig, the Kemper was great......just using my DXR10 as my amp.....that said, the volume of the band was ridiculous.....only the Keys and Vox went through a PA!

That's another question about band discipline.......haven't checked yet how far I pushed the master on my Kemper....but the DXR10 was only set half way, so I had plenty of room to go!

• Funnily enough, at the gig, the Kemper was great......just using my DXR10 as my amp.....that said, the volume of the band was ridiculous.....only the Keys and Vox went through a PA!

That's another question about band discipline.......haven't checked yet how far I pushed the master on my Kemper....but the DXR10 was only set half way, so I had plenty of room to go!

What did you do to make the KPA sound great at the gig. I have a few gigs coming up in small locations bars etc., where only the vox go through a small PA, but everything else (Drums, Bass and guitars) will not be miked. As I am a little afraid that the KPA sounds fairly brittle, harsh and thin I played through my Marshall TSL 602 on the last gig. It is a great amp, but heavy as hell. Plus I would like to start utilizing the KPA but without sounding like a cheap razor when using crunch and gain sounds for classic rock and blues.

So far I use profiles of ReampZone, mainly DIs with Rewirez IRs and a DXR10 speaker. I used a graphic eq to reduce harshness and also definition and clarity, but still I am nötig really convinced that the sound will be as warm and pleasing as with the Marshall. I am a little afraid that the harshness of the KPA gain sounds will hurt the audience's ears.

That is why I am interested in your procedures to make it sound great at the gig. My bandmates might tolerate a bad guitar sound at one or two rehearsals, but not at a gig, that is for sure.

Thx in advance
    Bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• Hi,

This is my second Kemper, when I got this one, one of the outputs sounded really odd....and I did a reset (others can chime in with instructions) and it fixed that.

I can't remember if this SHEHER TWO - 2017-07-03 23-32-23.zip has the green machine drive on......but it's fundamentally what I gig with.....the rigs use an expression pedal to morph from a rhythm to a thicker and more delay saturated lead.

See how it sounds for you and let me know? It's very mid heavy as I have to fight against the other guitarist who is LOUD!

I prepare my rigs at high volume with the DXR10 and only have to use the global EQ to get things right at gigs. I normally go straight to PA but as I mentioned above, in this case I just use the DXR10.

Have you got the cabinets emulation on? Are you using Pure Cabinet? For some profiles you need that at max. For profiles generally I find Definition to be the most useful parameter.

But in either case, let me know how you get on with my Performance there.

PS - I know about the TSLs.....I used a TSL122 for years....now that is heavy!

Cheers,
    Andy