How to achieve that sound - clean/shining/lush 80's rock

• Hi all

I just fall in love with that classic piece. I tried to use some chorus on a clean profile with bridge humbucker (medium output) to play the clean rhythm part, but it is not as shining as in the original.

Any tips?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I hear single coils, reverb, chorus and maybe phaser but all economical.
    Anyway it's a nice sound.
    If somebody knows the solution I'd like to get information about.

Rhythm guitarist played Les Paul with 3 humbuckers. But I agree, it sounds single coilish. Maybe lot of compression, I hear also touch of chorus. I will experiment with this, 'cause the song is to fall in love with.

Gain part is easy. Just add gain...

• Compression, place your chorus after the distortion/amp, plenty of verb, and I agree with the others in using a single coil for this.

Steve Clark was playing Gibsons (even on the YouTube video I embedded) but I agree, that this particular sounds single coilish. BUT. That maybe due to compression, that you mentioned.

• Maybe a little like this?

Profile: Tonehammer Dual Rectifier clean OS3 from the Mesa Oversized pack
    Cab: Mesa RK 2x12 from Tonehammer

Gate in stomp A
    Comp in B Intensity 3,4, Attack 1,2, Squash 0, Mix 100%
    Phaser in D: Rate 1/2 dot, DEpth 5,0, Manual 5,0, Feedback 00, Peak Spread 0, Stages 4, Mix 35%
    Chorus in Mod: Depth 5,8, Amount 3,0, Crossover 20,6, Mix 82%,
    Legacy Delay:Mix 57,9, Note value 4/16, Feedback 30%, Bandw. 3,8, Freq: 5,0, Modulation 8,3,
    Reverb Hall: Mix 27,1, Balance 0, Time 6,5, Damping 4,5, Predelay 320, Bandw. 3,0, Freq: -2,3
    Amp: Def: 3,8, Power sag 3,8, Comp: 4,4, Clarity 4,4
    Main EQ: All 0 except Treble. Treble is on +1,3

Edit: Gain at 1,6

Guitar: Fender American Standard. Switch position 4. Neck Humbucker = dimarzio air norton, middle pu = Suhr Michael Landau single coil

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edit: For a guitar with humbucker you have to tweak the main eq. I got cool results with my Peavey wolfgang, pu switch position middle,

Bass +1,5, Middle - 2,1, Trebble 0, Pres 0

Cheers
    Frank

• As previously mentioned.. Single Coil PUP (even though he used humbuckers,, he could have coil tapped them or just used a different guitar in studio.) They played through rockmans in studio and the rockman has a very specific compressor sound to it.. i believe it's optical. Chorus and/or pitch shift.

• Ok I did as little experimentation. I think you'll get very close with the following (I was using the Soul Dano Clean profile as a basis, just because it's the first clean amp I stumbled upon).

Stomp 1 = One DS, drive all the way backed off, tone slightly up.
    Stomp 2 = Vintage Chorus - Rate reduced slightly, Depth increased by about a quarter, touch more crossover.

Amp

X = Pure Booster (as in the profile default)
    Delay = 1/8 dot / 3/16, mix low.

Use a Strat with the bridge pickup, I experimented with the others because initially I assumed it was an out of phase position but that was just the chorus messing with my ears, they just didn't have the brilliance. Adjust the mix on the One DS as required.

The most notable thing for me is that I found that it's not a very clean sound at all. It just sounds clean because the chorus happens after the distortion which is a pedal distortion rather than an amp distortion. In order to get that sharpness you need the compression and dirt that a distortion pedal brings.

• LOL You even did the 1/4-note delay I suggested (I'm sure you thought of this yourself 'though), Frank.
    Well done, mate! Sounds very-good.

Thank you Nicky. It was a pain to reach this sound. I checked out nearly 100 clean rigs. Than i found this tonehammer one and i changed the cab.Biggest part was to get the right phaser and chorus settings and after adding the compressor i missed something in the sound. I havent read your advice with the delay but that was the gamechanger for the shimmer in the sound. I have setted it very subtile to the the right tempo (107 bpm), so cant really hear the delay when playing in tempo, but it makes the sound thicker and shimmering. It was also hard to find the right guitar for it. I have chosen my strat to get it. It's a big difference to my other guitars with this tweak. I also tried it with the majesty and didnt get a good sound out of it which is near to the strat sound. My gibson like this sound too, but i have to scoope the mids and boost the bass and presence.

Cheers
    Frank

• I havent read your advice with the delay but that was the gamechanger for the shimmer in the sound. I have setted it very subtile to the the right tempo (107 bpm), so cant really hear the delay when playing in tempo, but it makes the sound thicker and shimmering.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I suggested 1/4-note divisions, Frank.

It's a subtle doubling-up of the sound. Well done again, mate!

• Here is a one played with my music man majesty (Humbucker).
    PU switch middle position.

The rig is a free jmp 1 rig from RE (Phil Collen uses JMP 1 for long times).

I uploaded the rig with all the tweaks in my dropbox. Use the link under my signature and search for JMP 1 Hysteria.

Hope you like it.

External Content soundcloud.com

Cheers
    Frank