Best profiles for Classic Rock covers?

• Hi there,

I am a KPA owner for a couple of months now and I was wodering, if you could help me out with some tips re good sounding profiles for Classic rock covers.

I play mainly one of two guitars in a classic rock cover band. We play songs of: Hendrix, Zepplin, Bad Company, Clapton, Moore, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Cream, CCR, Lenny Kravitz, etc.

I have an unpowered KPA and a DXR10 speaker. I would like to play the KPA at smaller gigs just through the DXR10, without a PA. So far I have been experimenting with free profiles and ReampZone profiles, mainly DI profiles combined with Redwirez IRs as I feel that the studio profiles, which are often captured through a SM57 turn pretty brittle and harsh when the volume is increased.

I have a few sounds, which I think could work live, however I would be happy, if you could recommend a few profiles free or commercial, ideally profiles, which you play yourself and have proven to sound good live to cover the bands named above.

Thx in advance for your help.
    Bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• Have you tried M Britt's free pack? Britt's profiles sound good live (and loud).

MBritt's profiles are amazing for live use. I use them exclusively with my band live. His Colonial pack (http://www.mbrittprofiles.com/colonial-pack/) is my absolute favorite for my classic rock band. His free pack has a profile from that set titled "Colony 2.9". My sound guy tells me how amazing my guitar tone is after every show. I use MBritt profiles exclusively live. We have been working with the same soundguy for three years and he continues to say he is blown away by how great I sound with these profiles. In fact, he has told me there are gigs where he keeps the other player a little lower in the mix (mic'ed up tube amp) because his tone isn't as consistent or thick as mine. A really good profile and a clean signal to the board is a soundman's dream! I love my tube amps but a good profile set with a good sound guy is just a no brainer.

I would also check out the new Ton(e)hammer free pack on the Kemper website. I have really loved the Marshall DSL profiles for classic rock. Haven't tried them with my band but at home and recording they sound awesome! https://www.kemper-amps.com/downloads

• Did you do a lot of tweaking to the Britt profiles? I will sometimes play through FOH X32 + L Accoustic PA and for smaller venues through DXR 10 only.

Does anyone play his profiles through DXR10 for live gigs.

On YouTube I heard somebody playing a Britt Plexi-profile, but on his website he does not offer a Plexi profile.

Plus you never know, what has been done to the tone to make it sound great on YouTube.

Bbb

• No, I haven’t had to adjust anything on the MBritt profiles. For me they’re plug and play. I use an Atomic CLR for sound on stage and run direct to the board.

• Ok, I think I will try some Britt profiles: Colonial, Marshalls, Diaz 100

What do you think?

Additionally, GoT sent me a message re their profiles, but I am a little bit careful with them as I read some reviews, which were actually not that great.

Any experience with their profiles?

Bbb

• Those are some great packs to start with from MBritt. The 69 Marshall is awesome as he profiled that particular amp with four different cabs. Tons of variety! The Guytron is cool too.

I can't speak for GoT. Seems to be more slanted to metal. He seems to be a good guy with some cool amps. From my perspective he seems to provide more of a metal platform but I may be mistaken. It just comes down to preference. I think it is a bit harsh to say they aren't great. It just depends what your application is. Based on your needs above and from my perspective I would say you can't go wrong with MBritt profiles...especially in a live situation.

I have all three and confess that they are great for me.
    I play mainly single coils and our style is nostalgic cover rock ( 50ies 60ies, and early 70ies)

They need a certain loudness. At home they are not so impressive than others.
    In my performances I use Colonial and Diaz for a little dirty clean .

• Yes, I have tried free Britt and Meulendijk profiles. The Britt profiles seem to be a little dull and Meulendijk's a little bright. But I will take a look the profiles again.

As I have a separate room in the basement for recording I can test the profiles at gig level.

Bbb

• Any Marshall from MBritt and TopJimi are going to work great for classic rock. If a profile from either of them sounds too dull or too bright, just tweak them a little. Their profiles are such high quality that they take to tweaking very well. Start with changing the profile's cab to something you know you like on other profiles. Can make a world of difference when running your FRFR.

• This is the free-rigs discussion forum, Wendell. Its subtitle is, "Discuss Rig Exchange offerings and free rigs in here".

Please do not mention Commercial Rigs in Free Rigs posts.

Even a single mention of just one commercial Profiler can see the thread's being moved to the commercial section, at which point the OP's request is shot to pieces.

• I have the MBritt 69 Marshall and Colonial packs… How can I tell which speakers were done with which profiles with the 69 Marshall?
    It does not specify…
    Also, is this the Heritage Colonial amplifier? What is its claim to fame? I will say, it sounds pretty good…

Bbb

I have all of these and they are all outstanding especially with humbuckers.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I have the MBritt 69 Marshall and Colonial packs… How can I tell which speakers were done with which profiles with the 69 Marshall?
    It does not specify…
    Also, is this the Heritage Colonial amplifier? What is its claim to fame? I will say, it sounds pretty good…

In the MBritt 69 Marshall Pack, you can tell which cab is profiled by looking to see if there is a letter just before the profile number. If there's no letter, it's a Classic Lead 80, if it's a "G" (69 Marshall 50 G1 for example) then it's a 25w Greenback, if it's an "H" it's a G12H30, and if it's a "V" it's a Vintage 30. Hope this helps.

The Heritage Colonial was designed by Paul Cochrane of the Tim/Timmy pedal fame. He worked as a designer for the Heritage Amp company based in Brentwood, TN in the early 2000's. Paul was a huge Marshall fan and wanted to create a Marshall type amp that would recreate a handful of his favorite Marshalls. He added US/UK switches on the gain section, US/UK switches on the tone stack (switching from two different complete tone stacks), and a negative feedback knob so he could basically set the amp up like a '59 Bassman circuit, JTM45, or Plexi depending on where he set the switches and knobs. It is built like a tank and it's one of the best amps I've owned and profiled. It sounds and feels like a 100w amp even though it's only 50 watts. But who uses real amps anymore. ;)