Quick question from a rookie

• This isn’t a technical thing, it’s an I-don’t-get-it-what-am-I-missing thing.

Why might lots of people be concerned about overdrive pedal models, when every possible and/or coveted overdriven amp profile is available? What am I missing, regarding this aspect of the product?

Objective question, seriously. I’m here to learn.

When will my talent upgrade be released?

• @skydog you raise a good point
    especially when considering that
    1) the vast majority of OD pedals isn't really all that different from each other, many are based on the same basic designs
    2) the Profiler's parameters Definition, Compression, Power Sag, Clarity, Pick, Tube Shape etc. give you more musical and deeper options than another OD pedal would - options that were only previously available if you gave your amp to a skilled technician - if at all

add to that the ability to easily add pre- and post-distortion EQs and you have tons of great tools at your fingertips

• When i put my Blues Crab (bluesbreaker stomp clone) in front of my Kemper, with every profile it gives me an interesting result : more gain, more dirt, more bite, more clarity, more top end....
    Could i get the same result by dialing a few knobs ? Probably. But i would have to dial a lot of knobs, save the result in an additionnal rig....
    I like very much the fact that when there is a rig i like, if i click on my blues crab, i will get another rig that i like, but with a different sound.

• Thank you. But that’s what is behind my question. If I am in the same position, and want a second extra bit of extra something, why not switch to a more aggressive profile of an actual Bluesbreaker with all of those attributes described.

I have a ton of OD pedals from my former (four weeks ago!), pre-Kemper lifestyle. Marshalls in a box, Dumbles in a box, Supros in a box, etc. They have their variable adjustments, but they all drive me nuts on my oversized (and overweight) pedalboard. But now via the Remote, it seems to me that I have these amps and sounds waiting under my feet.

Believe me, I’m not arguing at all. I’m trying to sort through the logic. In fact this weekend, I’m going to profile my Hiwatt with a BK Butler in front of it, to see what I get. Some pedals sound cool, for sure. At the end of the day, it’s just adding an amp in front of my amp.

I have all the Kemper parameters under my control (as DonPetersen can more aptly describe). Yet going back to the example described by vjau75, there are also dimed Bluesbreaker profiles ready to go.

In case you’re wondering, part of this question is rooted in why should I keep all of my pedals! But the other part is why use the OD stomps and mess with reconfiguring unity gain, when I can just select a hotter amp profile? In a nutshell, that’s the basis of my question.

When will my talent upgrade be released?

• From what I've seen, many folks ditch their pedalboards, some very-comprehensive, altogether.

Others, however, and they're slightly in the minority from what I can tell, retain one or two "special" pedals that they claim they cannot recreate to their satisfaction within the Kemper.

Based on this, it would seem that the thing to do is experiment; there's no shortcut I'm afraid. That said, I don't see the harm in assuming you can substitute everything you need and tweaking with the confidence that you can achieve this. Only then, when you're convinced there's a pedal you simply cannot get anywhere-near replacing, would I consider keeping it.

The thing is, every pedal you keep is gonna affect the size and complexity of your setup and add a little noise. I'm guessing that compromises will have to be made at some points - am I able to get close-enough to pedal x to justify removing it and simplifying my setup? This will of course be the ultimate question when it comes to each and every pedal.

• Some guys mention that pedals in front of the KPA give them a better more analogue gain or overdriven sound, whereas the pure KPA sound in that department is a little too digital and artificial to them.

I do not have any pedals, as I have only played very minimalistic straight into a Marshall.

Bbb

It' s only Rock n Roll, but I like it :D:thumbup:<3

• for me,, I just could not get the extra little "PUSH-BITE" from the Kemper pedals,sound men told me my leads were not standing out from my rhythms,
    all the overdrives inside seem a little" same ish" ( it could be my inability to dial them in with the tiny green screen,,I hate to have to put on my glasses just to work a tone,,,, editor,, please,,,??)
    I have a real Klon, a prince of tone ,and a Dude,, they gives me the diff flavors, I don't like to switch amps, profiles, just need the push for a lead, not a diff amp,, it works for me,
    Kemper BY FAR, has the best pure amp tone avail, period, at least for my money, and lord knows, i've spent some money, chasing tone,,
    Hope,, soon they address the stomps, reverb..
    until then , I will carry the pedal board stomps
    m

• I have all the Kemper parameters under my control (as DonPetersen can more aptly describe). Yet going back to the example described by vjau75, there are also dimed Bluesbreaker profiles ready to go.

In case you’re wondering, part of this question is rooted in why should I keep all of my pedals! But the other part is why use the OD stomps and mess with reconfiguring unity gain, when I can just select a hotter amp profile? In a nutshell, that’s the basis of my question.

In theory, you should have just a few profiles, and put them in premade rigs with all the settings or better with performances. That is if you are a well organized musician doing rigs.
    But if you are like me, just a hobbyist playing at home with the kemper with hundreds of profiles, most of which i don't really need, the OD stomp becomes a parameter you can play with on the fly. And then with the push of a button, the 600 rigs in my kemper became 1200...
    When there is a sound i like with the bluesbreaker style stomp added, i could perfectly well try to recreate it with another profile, but that would not be necessary easy, and it would take time. For me this stomps adds fun to my experience. Nothing more.

• I can only talk for myself..

1) Kemper cannot profile well a few pedals that do distortion especially IF you have some preamp gain at the same time from the amp. It varies, really, what the results are, for known reasons (manual).

2) Kemper controls are good, but will not emulate every pedal out there. Can tweak endlessly but there's still differences that may be meaningful to people. Yes, as usual, general audience may not care, but I as an artist do.

3) Considering that kemper is not designed to profile dual distorting stages (say preamp and power amp) there are pedals that can used to give some more "warmth" and "sag" difficult to get with kemper controls. Bommel has been doing it with quite a bit of success (you can hear his tests).

Considering all this, if a pedal does do a tone I want and this requires dual distorting stages, it's likely I will use it in front of kemper with the profile of the amp. When it comes to something like a boost I am more likely not to use it but instead profile the amp with the pedal.