Kemper/poweramp/cab Resonance- im an idiot-fixed

• So I’ve had a light struggle using my Kemper for amp in the room sounds, when separating the cab the Kemper seems to loose the cab interaction. I remembered how to achieve this in the axefx and seems on experiment the same rule applies to Kemper. Result is moving air, chugs are deep like you would expect. I haven’t messed with it yet allot, just tried it but instantly I’m getting out of it what I felt I was missing. This is for the poweramp and cab guys to try.

Place a studio eq in x or mod slot, set the frequency to 80, Q to 5.0, and gain to 10. Now you’ll need to get volume to band levels or just louder than quiet. Play a chug and loop it or have someone chug for you, start sweeping the frequency until you hear the cab resonate could be really anywhere from 60-125 or so depending on the cab. Now that you found the resonance you can back the gain down if it’s too much or leave it if you like it there.

Tell me if it helps

• so I found my 1979 Marshall 4x12 with original G12-65s has a resonate frequency at 115hz. I am finding since there is some resonance in the profile that minimal gain just brings out what I am missing in the profile, of course I am not at full band volume yet so some things on gain and Q will change. I have been sweeping the Q 1.5-5 to find what I want but so far I am getting that room shake I am used to with an amp and cabinet and seems even the profiles are balancing out better, things I heard or weren't hearing are now gone.

• I think you can even use the ducking parameter in the EQ to make the effect more pronounced on just the chugs if you don't want it colouring held-out power chords etc. I think it needs to be turned counterclockwise (ie. negative values). Don't know if it will be suitable - but maybe worth some experimentation :)

Great idea! im too knowledgeable on how ducking is or works so I will play with it. In the axefx I used a filter block set to peaking and of course the Q value and gain value would probably be different because of course these units are made by 2 different people, so I am trying now to find that gain and Q balance. I think this ducking will be very useful as I am finding the proper resonance on open E gets stronger say around C so this could balance out what I am hearing

• Elvis any thoughts have you tried it? So far it’s doing what it should but seems imperfect and I know enough of us can figure it out

didn't make it out to the practice space today but hopefully tomorrow I can take a crack at it. I do sometimes struggle with using a real cab so I'm hoping this could be the new thing to be my "go to" move. I seem to remeber MeAmBobbo doing pretty much the same thing is his EQ tips.

There seems to be a more, immediate/living sound from traditional amp in the room but it's fairly small in the whole scope of things IMO

Using the powered kemper for a few years now I've come to a, "let it rip" style for the most part. A 4x12 with v30s would normally have a power rating of about 240-265 watts? The kemper is rating 300 at 16 right and it's a class D amplifier SO, in order to get 300 watts you'd have to max out just about everything? (Master, rig volume, power amp boost plus 12db, etc?) And the magic or beauty of most sounds is when the speakers and cab get all shook up so I crank the power amp master volume to anywhere from -9db to -0.0db regularly and I leave the power amp boost off and I'll give the rig volume and or amp volume a little boost( 1.5-2.5)

• This seems to bring back some of that shaking cab feeling and the "roar". There needs to be some monitor output eq adjustments depending on the cab and room but nothing drastic. I think it's a pretty solid sound as is but a slight adjustment somewhere to give that extra guttural nastiness would be welcomed for sure.

I need them reverbs though my dude... those delays are absolutely gorgeous and having matching reverbs would do it for me.

• I just got the helix remote and some expression pedals for my rack and so I'm in the process of trying to 4 cable method and midi the whole thing together. Not as easy as i thought in terms of editing and dialing up all the commands but it's going to be a game changer for sure.

• I’ve tried and just DI but it’s not right it’s still cutting down too much to be accurate, this is why people using a Fryette power station notice better results is because of resonance. Every cab and speaker has a different resonance frequency, and the kemper isn’t capturing that part correctly, well I shouldn’t say it isn’t but at least the profiles I did and purchased do not, could be because of profiling with a different cab

• I agree it’s close, but when running a profile through my 4x12 using either a carvin dcm3000l or a quilter pro block in the fx loop, there’s a missing piece to make that cab move and give that low end of the real amp and cab, It’s there a little of it in the profile but seems the kemper does cut some in the low end like 100hz down

• Through my dxr8 and impulses it sounds great but I need in allot of situations to us a real cab,

I will admit I do not have an amplifire here anymore and haven’t been able to do a true a/b so it could be just my ear, but the feel I always got say through my pitbull just isn’t 100% there in my profile, I’d say it’s 85% there but missing that girth

Even with my comments last night I’m not giving up on the kemper I’m just hoping there is some updates going forward that improves that 15% of the profiling

• Have you tried using the Amp parameters, what I'm thinking about is "clarity" as it tightens the low and helps in string separation. Many use it in conjunction with "definition". I use clarity to tighten the bass, I never go past 4 or 5. if it gets bright I roll the definition slightly.

• I’ve messed with them some but I never felt the change I needed in the cabinet, I’m using the above very minimal gain 1.5 Q at 1.6 and freq at 115 and seems to just bring up enough to make the cab shake a little (I changed to gain 4 Q around middle .707 and freq at 115) This can be my ocd and I’ve never taken a sound class so I’ll admit I’m very green when it comes to sound, but I’ve felt that cab feel lacking and there has been others also when comparing to the reference amp finding the same thing.

• I need to borrow an amp and true test but my pitbull profile is all I have for personal reference and it was a di profile that just seems weak, the tone is 100% there but the push girth isn’t there

• It can just be me and I love a depth and resonance control on an amp but running Matt Figs beod with this eq boost really brings the roar, maybe it’s just the profiles made aren’t as deep as I’d like and this makes up but the profile seems more real I guess. It feels like it’s hitting me in the chest like the amp would