A few questions before I pull the trigger

• Just hope it lives up to expectations.

Don't worry man; this thing doesn't disappoint. The typical reaction for many after playing just a few notes is, "Holy shit!".

In cases where first-time users aren't impressed, which are rare, 90% of those involve "operator error", where ignorance of routing and available parameters, appropriate monitoring or the use of "bad" / inappropriate Profiles are often to blame.

The good news is that for all intents and purposes it should be a simple matter of plug-and-play for you. Start with the factory (in-built) Profiles and then check out the Rig Exchange ones (over 10 000) via the Rig Manager app. Install the app (downloadable from the main site) and hook your Kemper up to your 'puter with a USB cable. Its operation is self-explanatory / logical / simple, and I highly recommend you get into it as soon as you've listened to the factory Rigs and had a little fun playing them.

• Mate

Whilst I may sound a little concerned the forum here is about 99% positive and the feature requests since the last firmware are minimal.

Having bought into the GR55, Flextone, various Boss and Line6 hype I am just cautious. What instills a lot of faith is you very rarely see these above units side by side with tube amps....... With the Kemper everyone is doing comparisons which speak volumes.

I also love 2 other things. It's been around for years and you only have to read recent posts to find people still astounded by its sound. The other thing is no editor. Would one be handy, yes but I find that editors really ensures you do not learn the physical unit. The amount of times at a gig I'd be trying to turn the noise gate or reverb down and be completely unable to find the option within the menu structure because I spent so long using the software interface.

Being an IT guy, having used modelers for so long, having recording in Cubase with various professional VSTs and mixing/mastering I'm sure I can learn the unit quickly enough to test it.

Having read even more posts regarding the JVM profiles, some dating back to 2012, people are still blown away.

I feel positive mate.

Mike

• Awesome, Mike!

Hey mate, PM me if you'd like a specific recommendation for JVM Profiles; one set is IMHO outstanding, but in order to avoid the thread's being moved to another sub-forum, we must not discuss commercial Profiles here.

Of course, many would suggest you first Profile yours. Sounds like you've got the know-how to get decent mic'd tones out of it, so it'd just be a matter pushing buttons on the Kemper... 8o

• Cheers dude, I did notice that commercials can't be discussed so avoided it for that reason.

I will definitely PM you once it arrives. It will give me a good starting point but I will profile my amp too as it will take my room into the mix which will give me a realistic comparison.

I can't wait, just recorded a tune with my JVM and I absolutely love this amp, sits nice with my vocals, also another thing I may attempt which is profiles of vocal preamps.... One step at a time though lol

The other thing is a lot of users here seem to be studio owners, people in bands and bedroom musicians. A great mix of opinions and everyone is more than content with the product.

I have a few days off this week and next so hoping it arrives soon.

Cheers Monkey

• This IS THE CLINIC! :D
    Welcome, and as a Kemper/DXR10 player in a rock cover band I think you are going to love this thing.
    I do... it amazes every day. :thumbup:

• Don't worry man; this thing doesn't disappoint. The typical reaction for many after playing just a few notes is, "Holy shit!".
    In cases where first-time users aren't impressed, which are rare, 90% of those involve "operator error", where ignorance of routing and available parameters, appropriate monitoring or the use of "bad" / inappropriate Profiles are often to blame.

The good news is that for all intents and purposes it should be a simple matter of plug-and-play for you. Start with the factory (in-built) Profiles and then check out the Rig Exchange ones (over 10 000) via the Rig Manager app. Install the app (downloadable from the main site) and hook your Kemper up to your 'puter with a USB cable. Its operation is self-explanatory / logical / simple, and I highly recommend you get into it as soon as you've listened to the factory Rigs and had a little fun playing them.

I was one of the 10% who it took time to get really happy , partially because I used mine with a guitar cab which was a compromise but also I convinced myself that a digital amp coldn;t sound good ( un valve my thinking). But I do't trust my own ears, so I now take the feedback from people who see me play...I have never had some many positive comments on my sound...

I use mine with an unpowered monitor ( I looked for something close to a DXR 10 as I didn't need the amp) so I know you will be happy....might take a little fiddling but alsothe Kemper is o easy to use. I'm an IT guy but get frustrated with poorly designed interfaces. The Kemper is really logical and simple to use.

Also defo on the remote for live work, makes it so easy. Just for interest for Wah I took an old Crybaby and modified it to act as a controller...now it feels like a crybaby too, but without the annoying switch (touch sensitive)!

Let us know how you get on!!

• Hey

I'm having a little rethink, not about the Kemper but more whether I need a powered version or not as I have ordered the dxr10.

Part of me thinks if I need it it's there, the other part things the difference could be a top quality 6u rack.

It's great when people compliment the sound......the JVM has that when people hear the OD1 orange channel.

I use the AIC wah pedal but I believe there are settings for this wah on the forum....that may be sold too,

Mike

• Powered version comes in handy...played a venue where the sound guy refused to let me go direct...he'd had bad experiences with Line 6 pod in the very distant past. There was a 4 x12 hanging around so I just plugged in...done...useful at festivals if you have to share backlines...

• That's were my fear lies, turn up and there is no place for the DXR and an uncooperative sound guy.

Had it before and had to run my amp modeler via a speaker cab then mic it.... He wondered why it was hard to mix. He was extremely obnoxious but I find most sound guys to be accommodating.

Most enjoy the fact they get volume continuity and it's independent from the monitoring side.

Been told I will have my kemper on Thursday so just need to book some days off.

Mike

• yeah this guy was one exception...every other place loves it.

I went powered because I was going to play live, started with a regular guitar cab then switched to an unpowered monitor.

If you have DXR and powered Kemper, you'll have fab sound, extreme portability and total versatility :)