Rack owners - have you ever wished you bought the head? And vise versa?

• I'm only days away from getting a Kemper, I'm really excited!
    However I still haven't decided whether I want the rack or the head version yet.

From what I can gather these are the pros of each.

Rack:
    Is easier to rack mount and is only 3U instead of 4U.

Head:
    Has extra knobs for Mod control (don't have to push in the other knobs)
    Has LEDs for the on screen parameters, and Volume.
    Looks way cooler

I'm kind of leaning towards the head, but it would definitely be nice to have the more portable option, and also the ability to mount it with a wireless system too.
    I want the unpowered version, if that makes a difference at all.

I'm curious if anyone wishes they bought the other option, now that they have experience with theirs?

• I've always been a fan of rack gear even way back in the days when I used to look at guitar magazine with the guys and their refrigerator size racks. so for me it was no choice but the rack version. never even think about having the toaster model. also rack is more convinient because you can add power conditioner. wireless and every other rack thing all in one of those safe cases and have it transported or even at home and studio. plus in the case stays cleaner too from the dust. but either way you won't be sorry, it's a miracle of technology.

• First had the head, now own the rack. Very pleased with it. Made a patchpanel. Feels way safer on stage as the head and I dont have any bag lying around. Afaik the head looks more stylish on the desk tho. Whatever, if you take the KPA with you often choose the rack. I am lucky with my choice.

• Rack with a patch panel is the way to go for me. I also modified my Kemper remote cable to have an Ethercon connection to my patch panel (just like it does on the foot controller side) for a very solid and gig durable connection.

I set the rack on top of the digital mixer rack, flip up the case so the patch panel is facing up (I have made a red tape arrow so I always set it up the right direction every time ;) ), and plug in my L/R to the mixer, my power to the Kemper, and my Kemper remote cable out. Takes me all of 30 seconds.

• Sorry I'm rack as well for all the reasons above.

Nice and safe, I have a power conditioner and wireless all in one convenient box. So easy to set up as all leads plugged in, patch panal for XLR to connect to FOH...

Its all personal preference though..

• I just never liked the look of the "toaster," and instead bought the rack and put it in an enclosure. See my pic to the left, it actually looks like an amp head now.

Edited once, last by marzzz ().

• I like rack gear and bought the rack. I got fed up of leaning over a rack when editing, to the point I had exchange it with another user for the head. I find the head much better to edit as it sits on my desktop and it’s close to hand. I also dig the LED rings around the knobs which aren’t on the rack version. I would probably still have the rack though if there was an editor.

• At times I wish I opted for the rack from an aesthetic standpoint, but the lunchbox is much better for portability. That and the rack not having the LED's for the EQ knobs, forcing me to squint at the tiny number values, was the nail in the coffin.

• You should consider, if you gonna play live more often than in the studio (or at home). I then recommended a rack version.
    I recently bought one, after gigging 4 years with the Head-version.
    Now I have both. The Head at home for studio, practicing and profiling and the rack-version with patch-panel, wireless and a drawer for spare-parts in a shock-mount-rack for live-use.
    The transfer of sounds, OS-versions, Presets and system-configurations is ridiculous easy with my USB-stick.

Seldom but sometimes I miss the LED-circles round the amp-knobs on the rack-version. But this is a luxury-problem.

• I also modified my Kemper remote cable to have an Ethercon connection to my patch panel (just like it does on the foot controller side) for a very solid and gig durable connection.

I also have the ethercon on my patchpanel (https://www.bax-shop.nl/ethern…male/product-details.html).
    I'm using the standard UTP connector that comes with the cable with the ethercon chassis connector.
    But how to get the cable equipped with the proper connector (just like on the remote side)?
    Could you tell how to mount it to the cable and a link to order that part?
    Thanks in advance.

• Not for even one nano second!

PowerRack all the way... :thumbup:

Excelsior!

Edit: ok maybe one moment when I had to choose between the rack & head prior to purchasing and wished the racks came with the Kensington lock and perhaps more LED rings ha :whistling:

• I also have the ethercon on my patchpanel (https://www.bax-shop.nl/ethern…male/product-details.html).I'm using the standard UTP connector that comes with the cable with the ethercon chassis connector.
    But how to get the cable equipped with the proper connector (just like on the remote side)?
    Could you tell how to mount it to the cable and a link to order that part?
    Thanks in advance.

Sure.

Part is here: https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik…keywords=ethercon+coupler

Install instructions are here: file:///H:/Downloads/Assembly+Instruction+-+etherCON+Cable+Connector+NE8MC%20(2).pdf

FYI, I cut my old end off and replaced it because I couldn't find these instructions... and I already have crimping tools and testers so it wasn't too much of an effort.

Give it a try. It is a nice upgrade.