New user, New owner tomorrow

• Hi!
    My name is Heather. I babble a lot. I ordered a Kemper Rack, and it is sitting in the local FedEx building today, scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (before 8pm) :D

I have been playing guitar for over 37 years (also play piano/keys and bass). I have played in bands that have travelled the country (USA), as well as running FOH, doing LD work, helped with monitor systems, and worked in studios (both sides of the glass). I also worked with several digital audio companies during the first decade of the 2000s. My Dad is a Jazz musician (sax is his primary, also piano, some guitar), and My Uncle is the bass player in The Remains. Several family members also play piano and/or other instruments, and I was around musicians/music from day one.

I will only say this about My (horrid) experience with Fractal: I bought the first version, returned within the try-out period; bought the Axe-FX II and sold it several months later. I benefitted from two (in)valuable lessons: I learned that I do not care for it, and I had someone take Me under their wing and I got the most intense course on IRs I could ever hope for (using Octave for most things :) ). Unfortunately, it also soured Me on hoping that modeling and anything similar would ever be part of My world. Until...

While rabbit-holing on YouTube, I came across Chappers and The Capt vids, and one had them pitting Kemper vs Tube Amps. And then I saw Michael Wagener praising Kemper. Michael I trust. His comment about "...the right hand being wrong..." with other digital offerings was the key, as it has been My greatest complaint thus far. His word was enough for Me to take a deep breath, and order a Kemper (rack). So, now I have a little kid in Me jumping up and down like it is My birthday tomorrow, while the sceptic/realist/party pooper in Me is off to the side, arms folded, saying, "Your presents are things you will never wear, never use, and you will have to waste your precious time returning them all." The little kid stops celebrating every so often to make a face at the sceptic, and even flipped the bird a few times :D

Hope I did not type too much, and I hope the Fractal part does not upset anyone (here). I truly am excited! I am not looking to replace tube amps, but rather I want another option that expands My composing and recording world.

Heather :)

Kemper Rack

• Hi Heather! Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Were you referring to Barry and the Remains from the 60s, who did Diddy Wah Diddy? 8o

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Hi Heather! Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Were you referring to Barry and the Remains from the 60s, who did Diddy Wah Diddy? 8o

Yes! Barry Tashian (wow, unsure if I recalled how his last name is spelled...). When I was ... I am going to say 5 or 6 yrs old... a few of The Remains were visiting My Dad at his Mother's house (where we were living at that point), and a few others from other bands/musicians, and I was riding My bicycle and side-swiped one of the guy's blue VW. I guess because I was little and had cut My arm open, they were quite forgiving ^^ I got to hear Beatles stories, and much more, when I was allowed to be around them, and could stop babbling, as little kids will do with adults HAhHAha!

Kemper Rack

• Thank you for all the welcomes, hellos, etc! :D

I have only had about 20mins of free time today, but will have quite a bit more time to play tomorrow (supposed to be wicked rain, not going out in it).
    I have to do the update tonight, and have not tried any rigs that were not on the Kemper already (came with ver 5.2.x I believe). I spent most of the 20mins on the Lotta Love patch. As of now, running a 2x12 Celestion Greenback (G12M 25w) cab, and switching between an old Peavey power amp (pretty flat response, solid state), and a MosValve MV-962. Have not tried the stereo mains out to My ADC, definitely will be doing so tomorrow. And will try profiling 8o

I have, hmmm, issues? with detail, nuance, and subtleties, which with digital guitar gear/amps is primarily *pick* attack. Non-user (direct, fully) addressable ADC in gear such as modellers, digital amps, etc seem to have dynamics "sculpting" that is typically done, I am assuming to make things more, erm, "user friendly" ;) , and this is almost always something quite up front for Me, enough to make playing through them unpleasant at best. Even with the very, very brief time I have spent with the Kemper (tried two guitars with vintage and mid-output pickups), and with NO system tweaks (completely fresh out-of-the-box, plug in and play!), it is a very different experience from past experiences I have had. With the Kemper, My immediate (and possibly/likely? wrong) conclusion is that it is like... Oh! It is like having an amp mic'd up in another room, and that amp is dimed, or at least being pushed quite hard, and I am in the CR hearing it through the monitors (at a very low level, in this case). My brain is a little baffled by it, as I know the amp is actually right there in the room with Me, it is NOT very loud, but it is behaving as if it were, and thus it should not behave in this manner.This is different than other experiences because as I lower the volume on the guitar, and ease up on the pick, it is reflected in what I am hearing with the Kemper, albeit STILL sounding like a cranked amp (being played through with a guitar with volume lowered), whereas with other gear, it has NOT been that way, and I have experienced the pick attack remaining as prominent even with the volume rolled back nearly all the way. So, I am going to try making some profiles with My amps at different levels to see how it is reflected when I play through those profiles. I hope that all made sense :D (and sorry if I sound like "another one of those :rolleyes: ).

Really like what I have experienced thus far!!! <3

Kemper Rack

• Yup. That sounds about-right, Heather.

Having endured the entire POD range, for both bass and guitar, from v1.0 through to HD500, I can very-much relate to your experience. For me the main playing / creativity killer was the response thing. I like to call it, in the Kemper's case, a sense of immediacy. IMHO, it's partly the tube-like response and also the low latency that combine to make it feel as if the thing's freakin'-alive.

I don't know how else to put it, but I suspect this is at least a part of what you noticed.

• Welcome!

I am glad you like the Kemper this much - as most of us here do.

Yes, it's the best way to think of the Kemper as an 'Amp in the other room' experience.

But depending on the profiles it can sound very much 'in the room' as well :)

The best way to learn much about the Kemper is to profile your own amps - as you have planned already.

I always recommend NOT to go and sell all the 'good old' tube amps in the honeymoon period - as many did with the Pod's, the AxeFx , ... and regret it later on.

Enjoy your new 'digital tube amp'.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• My name is Mike. I am from the Metro-Detroit area. I just picked up my Kemper today. I got the 600w head version with remote foot switch. I also bought 2 mission expression pedals and a mission genesis 2 cabinet. I have been playing for over 20 years. If it is music I will play it. I don't limit myself to one specific area of music. I am currently not in a band but I am constantly writing for I am one of many in a family of recording musicians. I currently use a PRS Tremonti Custom for my electric while I have a few Starts that are being re-worked right now. I plan on getting the Hendrix Monterrey towards the end of the month. I use a Breedllove, and a Fender Frakenbucket for acoustic. Any tips and knowledge from any of you vets out there is greatly appreciated.

• My name is Mike. I am from the Metro-Detroit area. I just picked up my Kemper today. I got the 600w head version with remote foot switch. I also bought 2 mission expression pedals and a mission genesis 2 cabinet. I have been playing for over 20 years. If it is music I will play it. I don't limit myself to one specific area of music. I am currently not in a band but I am constantly writing for I am one of many in a family of recording musicians. I currently use a PRS Tremonti Custom for my electric while I have a few Starts that are being re-worked right now. I plan on getting the Hendrix Monterrey towards the end of the month. I use a Breedllove, and a Fender Frakenbucket for acoustic. Any tips and knowledge from any of you vets out there is greatly appreciated.

Welcome Mike! I suggest you start your own thread in this forum introducing yourself so that it doesn't rain on Heather's parade and you get your own personal welcomes there. You could just copy and paste this or maybe an admin could move it. Anyhow welcome and good luck to you with all that new gear, you can't go wrong. :thumbup: