For millionth time... Why is Kemper profiles so trebly/fizzy??

• This time I have some ACTUAL unprocessed examples to compare against to show what I mean.

I just downloaded the Hammerfall "Hearts On Fire" unprocessed multitracks
    And I instantly noticed something.
    The guitar tracks has nothing of that "kemper fizziness" I have talked about a million times in various threads about "thin" or "fizzy" etc etc.

Here's the original guitar tracks, which I assume is recorded with Engl Savage:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I just downloaded Engl Savage upload from Reampzone and tried it out:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The Reampzone sound is a lot fizzier, and that goes for pretty much EVERY profile in the entire folder.

Also, the original tone has more lowend to it.

Before anybody starts talking about how a track should be mixed:
    the Hammerfall track is UNMIXED

I understand the sound can be hugely different from different mic positions and stuff
    But I keep coming back to this

My mixes have suffered from sounding really bright, most often when I use kemper tones

Help me out?! ?(

• But are there any Kemper profiles that sounds more like the original tracks here?

Almost every profile pack I buy have a trebly bass-less sound

Really, forget about the treble part of the tracks.

Compare the low-end.
    There's a lot of low-end missing in the Kemper profile (and lots of other profiles)

That low end is meant to be cut, I know that, but it's still weird that I've almost never found a profile that has that low-end to begin with!

• Maybe it makes sense to built your profile with your amp and your cab and your mic.
    Every downloaded profile sounds different.
    If you want your sound, profile your sound.
    The profiles I use are not trebly or bass-less.
    The just sound fantastic if I play live.

• In the Cab menu add pure cab. To get rid of some fizzy close miced cab I find that some cabinet benefit so much from pure Cab. on some cabinet I add a generous amount up to 7 or eight.

When I used to mic cabinets, I preferred a couple inches from the Cone of the Speaker and not the cap, but now I like both. I wish we can get more informaion about the microphones positions.

Try some Mbrit Profiles, they have the least fizz. I personally don't mind some fizz depending on the tone, instead of fizz, some call it hair.

• Unmixed is not the same as unprocessed. So you might be hearing a recorded track with printed eq and what not.

You might be comparing an apple sallad with uncooked potatoes. Just sayin’... :)

• I find I have to turn down the bass and increase mid/treble in order to cut through with my Kemper. Get a profile from another vendor or the rig exchange. That makes all the difference (meaning with your setup, not every profile/profile company will give you the sound you are looking for).

• Tried a factory reset / update on the unit?

EDIT; the savage is loaded up next to me - i'll send you a DI of the settings I made from your clip - try and use it.

PS: wouldn't happen to have distortion sense boosted do you ? the profile sounds like its distorting bad. If you let me know the profile I can try it my end. I also aim for articulation with my profiles I don't really make studio ones that have the sound in that original clip, although I'm willing to expand :) also if the bass is being reduced thats usually because it's a boosted profile that cuts the low end and tightens / brightens the sound.

Edited 4 times, last by MentaL ().

• I find the definition paramater makes the biggest difference to cutting that out of the profile, most profiles seem to come with definition at full or close to full, i pull that down to just over half normally otherwise it is shrill at gig volumes.

This whole trebe/fizz issue is the number one reason I am considering selling my kemper and dxr10 and moving to something else. I can dial in tones, but i usually have to over haul them to get them close to what I am looking for, these profile edits usually end up changing the characteristics of the tone so I find the whole thing a bit annoying. Sitting here with my charvel, kemper and drx10 i can flick through 50 profiles on the rig exchange and they fall into 1 out of 2 catagories, too bright or too dark. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the kemper is fantastic at cleans but falls short for high gain. Dissapointing after having owned mine for 2 years.

• ....This whole trebe/fizz issue is the number one reason I am considering selling my kemper and dxr10 and moving to something else....

If you hate fizz, try Preamp only profiles. Tube amps also have a lot of fizz, On the real Marshalls when used for high gain, many players I know, have the presence at zero.

• I have 1000 rigs on my kemper, trust me when I say I have tried many profiles. I have also used the kemper with a cab and a dxr10. The fizz seems to be a charactieristic of the Kemper, this issue has been coming up for years on this and other forums. Too bright, too fizzy, too thin..all those comments are in abundance. When using a traditional valve amp, there is fizz of course but there is depth in there too which balances the tone, with the kemper you lose the depth of the amp tone and then have to try to manage the top end without losing the characterstic of the amp. Thats my experience anyway.

• I have 1000 rigs on my kemper, trust me when I say I have tried many profiles. I have also used the kemper with a cab and a dxr10. The fizz seems to be a charactieristic of the Kemper, this issue has been coming up for years on this and other forums. Too bright, too fizzy, too thin..all those comments are in abundance. When using a traditional valve amp, there is fizz of course but there is depth in there too which balances the tone, with the kemper you lose the depth of the amp tone and then have to try to manage the top end without losing the characterstic of the amp. Thats my experience anyway.

Fizz can be eq'd out thankfully. My annoyance with the Kemper is the lack of proper bass , it misses a lot of it from my experience. Too much and the profile turns boomy, too little it becomes brittle. Oh the joys of profiling.

• Tried a factory reset / update on the unit?

EDIT; the savage is loaded up next to me - i'll send you a DI of the settings I made from your clip - try and use it.

PS: wouldn't happen to have distortion sense boosted do you ? the profile sounds like its distorting bad. If you let me know the profile I can try it my end. I also aim for articulation with my profiles I don't really make studio ones that have the sound in that original clip, although I'm willing to expand :)

You're profiles sound fine and I don't think his Kemper has a problem, I see this as a matter of personal taste as the OP is asking for help with his mixes This is not profile specific as I see rather than a mix issue. That's why low pass filters are very common.

Check this real amp out and tell me what you call this, begining at 2:56 forward
    John Petrucci Mark Five vs Mark IIC+ Comparison. I personally think there's too much Fizz/Hair in this amp than I can live with but that's also personal and this what really gives tube amp the power amp character.

In the Kemper the "tube Character parameter" you can actually lower this and give more Pre amp character if moved lower to the left and with higher you get more Power amp hair or fizz for those who like it and many do. I actually like your profile above better than the original track and I'm not into too much into fizz/ hairy amps that's why I never owned a mesa amp.

External Content www.youtube.com

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().