For millionth time... Why is Kemper profiles so trebly/fizzy??

• For one, because tastes and typical tones change - and these profiles were not made in that era.

But that doesn't hinder anybody from actually making something that "sounds like some other era"

You know, besides modern metal, almost everything seems to be aimed towards 70s rock Marshall/Fender/Orange stuff.

I don't think Savages existed in the 90's but I digress. :P
    Mostly because of the change from analog tape machines to digital converters, you can store more accurately the high frequency content of the signal. Also the birth of DAW based editing made a huge change.

Sure I have no idea when Savage was invented (searched google and found no info)

But thats besides the point

• But that doesn't hinder anybody from actually making something that "sounds like some other era"

You know, besides modern metal, almost everything seems to be aimed towards 70s rock Marshall/Fender/Orange stuff.

I don't fully disagree :) I jsut don't think that many profilers focus on the 80s era tones, and even those that do may have differing tastes :)

That said, there are tones out there that are neither fizzy nor thin - at least they can be tweaked to get there. But my "there" may be different from yours.

By the way, if you don't like the fizz, I'd look elsewhere than V30s, especially when paired with sm57s :)

• I don't fully disagree :) I jsut don't think that many profilers focus on the 80s era tones, and even those that do may have differing tastes :)
    That said, there are tones out there that are neither fizzy nor thin - at least they can be tweaked to get there. But my "there" may be different from yours.

By the way, if you don't like the fizz, I'd look elsewhere than V30s, especially when paired with sm57s :)

I'm sure most of the stuff I listen to features V30s...

• A friend of mine already had the Engl Savage 120 in 1993.

If you find many sounds fizzy, I would suggest replacing your SM57 with a Heil Sound PR20. That is if you make your own profiles. They are similar in price and also good for other things too.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• A friend of mine already had the Engl Savage 120 in 1993.

If you find many sounds fizzy, I would suggest replacing your SM57 with a Heil Sound PR20. That is if you make your own profiles. They are similar in price and also good for other things too.

I dont.

The reason why many Kemper profiles are fizzy compared to guitar sounds on records is that most Kemper profiles are made by hobbyists and most albums are made by professionals.

That may be true!

• The reason why many Kemper profiles are fizzy compared to guitar sounds on records is that most Kemper profiles are made by hobbyists and most albums are made by professionals.

This is the truth,,
    how can one expect to re-create the Multi, tracked,tone that a pro producer/ engineer and a million dollar studio,, with months to do it,,,with all the best gear in racks eqs, pultec, side cars, neve's,,SSL board,royers, telefunken etc,, , ,,,, do it at home? If you cant get it,, i'm not surprised,and,,not bashing at all, I've tried myself to get close to tracks I love,,some work,, some don't,,
    THE Kemper,, itself,,, is not FIZZY,its a profiler player,,if the profile sucks, your tone will suck,,,,,and i've heard PLENTY of fizzy profiles,,,,I've also heard tons of fizzy speaker cabs, and amps,,pedals etc,,
    I've tracked everything from country to very heavy doom, here,, and in many studios.. across the USA,, if it's "FIZZY",,to your ears,,, sell it,,, and get what you like, complaining here is, not going to fix your fizz,you seem so intent on this that I don't think any of the very helpful solutions will get you happy,, I feel for you, but the Kemper is prob, not for you, That's the whole nature of Great tone, one mans tone is another mans fizz,,I've tracked some metal dudes who insist on having tones of FIZZ,on their already super distorted tracks,they feel it "CUTS thru,,again, so many ears,hear things in their own way,,
    Its only as good as the profile loaded,,and person controlling it. ,Hope you find the tone your after,,,,I have,,and more then one!!!!!!
    The Katzbach Marshalls are the very best I have ever played,,no fizz on these,,Im in tone heaven,,esp SRV's head,,,
    my 2-cents,,,

• I'm sure most of the stuff I listen to features V30s...

Possibly - and possibly the fizz has been dialed out during tracking with outboard EQ.

I find that your best bet is to forget all you know about what gear was used on a certain track and just use your ears. At least if the starting point doesn't work.

How do you select the profiles you later get disappointed in?

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No fizz here...

Sounds good to me, probably has EQ obviously but seems it should be suitable for what @Cederick is looking for ? Wouldn't mind trying an Invader , sounds pretty good!

• The Hammerfall track?
    Thats Engl Savage... not a Laney of any sort

I'm pretty sure you're correct but I''m suggesting that it sounds like something that probably can be achieved by many Marshall type amps including JVM and other variation on Marshalls including Laney.

• Yeah, it really is down to the Profile, Ceddy; I think you already know this. I mean, if you find you're chasing your tail with endless tweaking, it's time to change Profiles, IMHO.

There are plenty of Profilers out there who aren't big on fizz, but I won't name any here 'cause the thread will be moved to the commercial section. PM me if you like and I'll point you towards some of them, mate.

Honestly, that original clip you posted just sounds like a great, well-rounded rock tone to me, and I love the fact that it's not fizzy as I'm not a fan of this either. There're plenty of these sorts of Profiles out there, man. Let's face it, if all we had for heavy options was fizzy Profiles, half of us wouldn't be here. I'm convinced, as you have been in the past, that you can get everything you need from the Kemper; I think you still know this deep down, so hang in there brother, and for the love of God, maybe try not to get stuck massaging inappropriate Profiles (polishing turds) for specific purposes.

I'm sure you know that it's always much easier to start with something that perfectly or more-or-less fits the bill right off the bat.

• Because the KPA is all about the profile, it's easy to say that if you're not satisfied to just try a new one. There is some truth to this.

On the other hand, some of us have tried thousands upon thousands of profiles and still wind up in the same place relatively speaking. In my experience, bright profiles (which I prefer) tend to mirror Ceddy's complaints. I've found some that provide a bit better low end than usual, but often lack a full spectrum of frequencies and dynamics. And I know inevitably some will say you don't want all the frequencies in a mix, but that's not the point. You can't add things back in that aren't there to begin with.

Many profiles that have the feel of being more "balanced" tend to be much darker. I find most of these sound muddy where I prefer articulation, and often exhibit more of the infamous "rasp", "congested", and "cocked wah" type signature.

In the end Ceddy, I think we know enough to just live with the limitations of the KPA. It does some things great, others not as well. For live use there's just no beating it, but for recording purposes it tends to frustrate more than satisfy in my case. I'll be going back to traditional amps for this reason, but I'll likely keep my KPA solely for its convenience.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My attempt at making a profile for it. Lots of stomps :D